PDA

View Full Version : growing list of Knoppix remasters

probono
03-28-2003, 12:03 AM
Technically not exactly Knoppix, but now there are also Red Hat and mandrake based bootable CDs that use Knoppix (cloop) technology. And of course many "real" Knoppix remasters:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations
Please add to the list any remaster that is not listed.

Carlos_E_Morimoto
07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm finishing Kurumin 2.0, It's greatly improved since version 1.3 :-)

Now he como with:

- Full printer support

- Mozilla firebird, kopete, koffice, mplayer, xine, xmms, kghosview, and more apps

- Improved knx-hdinstall

- remasterizar-kurumin (a script to remaster the CD whitout much fight :)

A lot of other small things

pap2003
07-11-2003, 09:24 PM
First of all congrats for kurumin, it by far the best remastered knoppix I have ever used.
Some things are even better (yes better) the knoppix itself
I specialy like the winmodem scripts that you use, and the best part of it is they work without any problem, It is great to be online in 3mins. One other thing that I really like is mplayer, not mutch to say here.
I have some questions though,
1. How can you redistubute the modem modules as most if not all of them are prop. drivers?
2. I think mplayer too has some licencse/patent issues
3.Why hasn't knopper included them in knoppix?
4. Why can't I find the sources of the modifications/additions you make?
5. The new features ( printer support, inmproved knx-hdinstall, ) how are they different from knoppix?

Thanks
Mario

qa1433
07-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Found this one.
Mepis Linux. Live CD and HD installable via a desktop icon.
It looks and feels like Knoppix and features KDE 3.1.2

http://www.mepis.org/

It looks pretty good and it has a hard drive install icon to boot. It also has a extra's CD for more apps when you install to your hard drive.

I downloaded both CD's. It looks promising

Check it out!
paul

Carlos_E_Morimoto
07-11-2003, 09:58 PM
1. How can you redistubute the modem modules as most if not all of them are prop. drivers?

- They CAN be distrubuted in binary form, they just aren't open-source

2. I think mplayer too has some licencse/patent issues

- Just in US. I live in Brasil and Kurumin is used primary here. It's a concern just for ho lives in US.

3.Why hasn't knopper included them in knoppix?

- I think because they are not proprietary and not open-source (the softmodem drivers)

4. Why can't I find the sources of the modifications/additions you make?

- Because all that I do are just a bunch of bash scripts, they are "naturaly" open source :-) You can found all of then at /usr/local/bin

5. The new features ( printer support, inmproved knx-hdinstall, ) how are they different from knoppix?

- The printer suport are just debian packages and kaddprinterwizard, I think essentialy the same fron Knoppix. My "improved knx-hdinstall" are just modifications to the original script, you can find at /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

IllegalOperation
07-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Adios is a Redhat 8.0 on a bootable CD. It is created and maintained by a College Professer in Australia. He works on it weekly, and always releases a new one with amazing features.

I really like it, you can save your whole /var directory to a floppy or USB storage to remember settings, you can use it to dual boot with a Windows system, you can install the image only to a hard drive, or do none of the above and just run it off the CD>

Found here http://www.dc.fit.qut.edu.au/adios/adios-bootcd.html

pap2003
07-11-2003, 10:48 PM
I don't want to be the bad guy here and sorry if I insist but licencses should be very carefully read and applied

- They CAN be distrubuted in binary form, they just aren't open-source

Not sure about all modems but from intel site:
Materials are copyrighted and are protected by worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. They may not be copied, reproduced, modified, published, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, without Intel's prior written permission.

From linuxant site ( conexant modems):
Redistribution. Redistribution of this software is permitted only for non-beta, officially released versions. Redistribution of versions marked "beta" or "lnxtbeta" requires explicit written approval from Linuxant.
Note: non beta software is not yet released

For pctel, motorola I did not find anything

- I think because they are not proprietary and not open-source (the softmodem drivers)

If the softmodems drivers where freely distributable the would surely be in the download cd\s of many distros ( who doesn' t want provide support for modems?)

- Because all that I do are just a bunch of bash scripts, they are "naturaly" open source :-) You can found all of then at /usr/local/bin

Fortunatly kurumin is small so I can download all 220mb burn the cd and then copy the one script I think I need .Would be easyer though if I could download only what I wanted ( e.g. knx-hdinstall)

Don't get me wrong, I realy like kurumin ( I use it and I can't even read portuges )
but If we all don't follow/respect the licensces people can easaly say :
See linux users are just hackers/crackers they don't respect laws, licenses.
SCO already made a big mess of it: (

But why am I talking... I use kurumin, I like it and if I can I will support it.
Keep up the good work, I can't wait for version 2

Mario

Carlos_E_Morimoto
07-12-2003, 04:38 AM
There are other distros that include softmodems drivers, the greatest problem are not the licenses (nothing wrong in re-dstribute the archives without modification) but customer suport. There are many diferent models of softmodems, diferences even in modems with the same chipset, making extremely dificult for a major distro, like mandrake or redhat "support" then.

Carlos_E_Morimoto
07-12-2003, 04:49 AM
Here are my scripts:
http://www.downloads-guiadohardware.net/icones-magicos-15.deb

dragonx
07-19-2003, 07:15 AM
I noticed that you asked that we list re-masters that weren't listed on the list here. How do we do that?

Thanks

wangji
07-19-2003, 03:59 PM
A patch to remaster with vietnamese can be found here
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hoan/knoppix_viet/knoppix-viet.html