PDA

View Full Version : how do i resize a partition with out loseing data?

kevstar31
11-02-2004, 03:26 AM
??

CrashedAgain
11-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Try QT parted. It should be able to do the job. But back up data first. The partition being resized cannot be mounted, usually if you are rearranging a HD this means run from CD.

02bunced
11-02-2004, 09:46 PM
You are not very clear what you mean so I am going to assume that you are meaning for Windows. First, get yourself a decent partition program, such as Acronis Partition Expert.

Secondly, you should defragment your hard drive, by using disk defragmenter. Then use Acronis to resize the Windows Partition. It will then restart your computer, and sort everything out automatically.

Remake your new partition in the space left.

David

firebyrd10
11-03-2004, 12:25 AM
You are not very clear what you mean so I am going to assume that you are meaning for Windows. First, get yourself a decent partition program, such as Acronis Partition Expert.

Secondly, you should defragment your hard drive, by using disk defragmenter. Then use Acronis to resize the Windows Partition. It will then restart your computer, and sort everything out automatically.

David

Qtparted is descent and can handle it quite well, just be sure to defrag.

kevstar31
11-05-2004, 11:41 PM

David
but when windows defrag is used system files end up being deleted. :(

firebyrd10
11-06-2004, 12:59 AM

David
but when windows defrag is used system files end up being deleted. :(

Then you have one very screwed up defrag program.

No defrag programs are suppose to delete anything, Just put the files back together (and move them towards the begging of the drive)

level
11-06-2004, 01:22 AM
If your pagefile or system restore files are near the end of the partition, you may have to turn them off, temporarily, and then defrag the drive. You will loose your restore points if you have to do this with the system restore files.

kevstar31
11-06-2004, 07:25 PM
is there a defrag utilty on knoppix cd for fat32?

firebyrd10
11-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Fat32? Hmm, qtparted should have no problem then. You really only need to defrag ntfs unless the entire drive is fragmeneted really.

(If you still want to defrag, just use window's, that will do that job nicely)

naoliv
11-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Hummmm...
I always used qtparted without problem. BOth for resizing FAT32 and NTFS partitions.
But I never use defrag before resizing... Am I doing something wrong? :?:

BTW, qtparted can also resize ext2 and other Linux file systems?

Thnak you very much
Nelson

level
11-07-2004, 04:24 PM
It just depends on how much you want to resize that particular partition. Sometimes there are files that are near the end of the partition that will have to be moved before resizing. Occassionally, the pagefile or system restore files may be near the end.

Duncanla
11-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Ok....so i tried to use QTParted to resize my windows partition which is currently the only partition on my hd....but when i tell it how much to resiz and then hit ok it comes up with a blank error with the picture of the exclamation point. It says that the drive is busy. How do i fix this? Im pretty sure it is becuase the drive is mounted but how do i unmount it? whenever i run "umount /mnt/hda1" it says that the drive is busy