PDA

View Full Version : Linux on windows

adamherb
11-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Does anybody know of a version of linux that installs in winows, and that doesn't require partitioning. I would like to be able to have an icon in windows that will cause a boot into linux. I want to make sure that it will not destroy my windows install, and doesn't install a bootloader, because I have roommates that depend on windows.

baldyeti
11-02-2004, 03:31 PM
If you want to run linux alongside windows, colinux is a nice, free solution. The easiest way to try it is probably via the Japanese Knoppix, which allows you to start a knoppix image under colinux control (under windows). Commercial virtual PC products (VM-ware or MS offering), can run several OS's together. An then if you are happy to run just linux, but simply would rather avoid partitioning, the so-called poor man install (PMI) is well documented on this site.

shah
11-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Try Winlinux2003
http://www.winlinux.net/screenshots/

mzilikazi
11-02-2004, 04:36 PM
because I have roommates that depend on windows.

They don't set their hopes very high do they? :) Well hopefully you can convert them!

While I have not used colinux I have read a great many things about it. Also you may be intertested in cygwin (http://cygwin.com/)

# Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two parts: A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.
# A collection of tools, which provide Linux look and feel.

adamherb
11-03-2004, 02:30 AM
In your opinion, which is better CoLinux or Win Linux. Does anyone know the differences? I would like to know how risky these things are.

mzilikazi
11-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Well one thing to consider is

Your computer must have, at least the following configuration to run WinLinux 2003.
/snip/
- Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Millennium. Note that Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are not supported by WinLinux 2003 yet.

That might rule WinLinux out right there. Secondly, how badly do you want this? Are you willing to read the documentation or are you going to be a typical windows user, expect to click three times and have instant Linux then get disappointed becuse it doesn't work?

rcook
11-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Perhaps your best bet is cygwin, as mzilikazi suggested. It is used a the local college to provide Linux/unix type OS in an essentially windows environment. It work's quite well. I have it on my machine at work, a relatively button down envorinment, to give me access to GNU/Unix/Linux tools and compilers without having to reboot or invest in VMware.

I have Slackware on a partition on my machine, but the boot and reboot to get back to Windows require enough time to preclude quick excursions into a real O/S.

adamherb
11-03-2004, 09:56 PM
I dont really want to use it that bad. I would be more of a 3 click person. I think I will go with that, because I have Windows XP!