PDA

View Full Version : Can skype work with Knoppix?? (with no ALSA)

fla
11-03-2004, 09:55 AM
I've tried many times to use skype with my Knoppix. I have both Knoppix 3.6 and Knoppix3.3/Debian testing. Skype runs perfect from the tar.gz package (QT3.2 dynamic), I can hear the others, but they cannot hear me :(
I've read the skype FAQ and many threads in the skype forum too, but still no luck with the microphone :(

For now I prefer not to install ALSA. I use the auto settings in KDE, or OSS.
When I run skype from a console, one of the message says:

Sound: no device found

or alike. But I can hear the others and there is no problem with the sound when playing mp3 or videos too...

My sound cards are:
1. laptop - Ali54xxx built in.
2. desktop - 2 cards - AC97 and C-Media8738 PCI.
(I use the sound from C-Media, but my microphone is connected to the AC97; which shouldn't be a problem I think.)

If anyone has successfully run skype with Knoppix, I'll be gratefull of a piece of info ;)

P.S.
Thanks CrashAgain for the sound help :)

cintra
11-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Hei fla

Well ref today's Hardware thread you can see I managed to get Skype working using alsa and a usb Cyberphone of the type found in Skype's store :-)

It was quite a job on Knoppix/Debian, and I still have to solve the same problem on Kanotix and Mepis. With Suse 9.1 Pro Skype came up within seconds, and I've had it working on Gentoo for quite a while..

I see you are using two cards, which is what my onboard Intel ICH4 & the cyberphone look like..

Do you have the option to select and adjust the levels of either card within Kmix or some other mixer?

regards