PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.2 Ethernet Problems

JeRM
11-04-2004, 12:09 AM
1. I think I ghettoishly installed it.
2. I need a new Boot Disk. but I still can boot into it from a CD-R.
3. I need help getting the p.o.s. to detect my ehternet card.

Well now that you got some of the info, heres some more.
I installed this on an older eMachine that I have for learning purposes.
I figured it would auto-install knoppix from the .iso disc's that I burned, but it didnt quite do that, but some how i found the executable or file to install it. After that I couldnt get the crap online through 56k, but I think my 56k card is fried, so I bought a ethernet card since I have cable. Hooked it up and everything and another friend of mine said that his auto-detected it when he installed his card, so i figured woot ths is gonna work. Turns out it doesnt. Ive tried all the options in the Internet directory in the Knoppix menu. The most luck ive had so id say, is when i goto Knoppix>Internet>PPPo3 Setup or whatever, and it detects the card as eth0 and then its downhill from their, it says some error in the next window, and im officially depressed from this. I want to learn Linux, but I cannot with this crap. Please someone try to help me get this to work. If not, refer me a link to the main page of a more reliable type of Linux that is much more noobie friendly.

Edit: The floppy boot is because some init malfunction, dunno how it could get messed up. Imma try to look for a Knoppix 3.2 boot disk download right now, also this is a STD version of knoppix....or something.

mzilikazi
11-04-2004, 01:57 AM
Dude,

You must have smoked too much of the good stuff because you make little sense.

1) You're using a customized version of Knoppix yet you bitch about it on the Knoppix forum.

2) You 'figured' it would autoinstall? Where did you get that idea?

3) You call Knoppix a POS and crap (twice even) because it won't detect your modem yet you admit that the modem is junk!?

4) You don't even make mention of the Brand/model NIC you bought. How is anyone going to help you without that information?

How about changing your attitude and posting something that's useful instead of bitching and moaning?

Did you even bother to read any of the documentation? I doubt it. :roll:

OErjan
11-04-2004, 11:01 AM
first of you need to give us the brands of your cards/modems
then you need to give us version of knoppix
now we need to know whaqt you want to do.
if you give us this we might be able to help.

JeRM
11-04-2004, 10:43 PM
kazi, you didnt help much, and the modem isnt fucked, just the 56k is. now gtfo.
rjan, thx.
the ethernet card is 10/100 LAN Card by Linksys.
its Knoppix 3.2 (STD) I went to the www.knoppix-std.org site, and i notice their on like 0.1, thats where i get confused. cause says Knoppix 3.2
Need to get Knoppix to notice the ethernet card, and the connection. If that doesnt work, imma need to figure how to reinstall windows.

mzilikazi
11-04-2004, 11:37 PM
kazi, you didnt help much, and the modem isnt fucked, just the 56k is. now gtfo.
rjan, thx.
the ethernet card is 10/100 LAN Card by Linksys.
its Knoppix 3.2 (STD) I went to the www.knoppix-std.org site, and i notice their on like 0.1, thats where i get confused. cause says Knoppix 3.2
Need to get Knoppix to notice the ethernet card, and the connection. If that doesnt work, imma need to figure how to reinstall windows.

I doubt that you're capable of installing windows by yourself. You can't even follow simple directions.

JeRM
11-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Your incapable of getting the point of getting out of this thread, or help solve the problem.

OErjan
11-05-2004, 05:29 PM
if you type lsmod what do you see?
what does dmesg|grep eth give you?
what does ifconfig say?
we need as much as you can give us on those, my guess is that
modprobe 8139too&&pump eth0
might work, but that is 10% chance at best so...

JeRM
11-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Hey, yea everyone of those commands responed with information, and thats just good to see.

Do you really want me to type out what each command says? And do you want me to have the ehternet cable plugged into the comp when i do them?

OErjan
11-05-2004, 11:50 PM
the cable is only really needed for that last, but better to leave it in during boot. less prone to errors then, one thing less to ....
yes i want to know what they say. not fun i know, LooOTS of info to type out, but the more you leave out the less chance we can help.
the |grep eth part of

dmesg|grep eth reduces the output LOTS. for fun you could just type dmesg alone and realize how much.

for lsmod you could likely disregard output in lsmod with vfat, ntfs, vga in them.
for ifconfig we only need to know if you havew any of the below and if other than 0 the value.
inet addr:
Bcast:
Mask:
MTU:
Metric:
errors:
dropped:
overruns:
collisions:
Interrupt:

JeRM
11-06-2004, 12:31 AM
dmesg|grep eth:
eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xe800, 00:06:25:48:E6:F2, IRQ 10.

lfconfig:
lo Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric: 1
RX packets: 6 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
TX packets: 6 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
RX bytes: 300 (300.0 b) TX bytes: 300 (300.0 b)

lsmod:
Module: Side: Used By: Not Tainted:
autofs4 8724 1 (autoclean)
af_packet 13448 0 (autoclean)
agpgart 34720 0 (unused)
cs46xx 56272 0
ac97_codec 9992 0 [cs46xx]
soundcore 3364 3 [cs46xx]
tulip 38560 0
serial 51876 0 (autoclean)
usb-uhci 21836 0 (unused)
usbcore 57088 1 [usb-uhci]
rtc 6908 0 (autoclean)
cloop 5168 1

this is a better IMG of what it displays.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/skitzocs/instruction.bmp

JeRM
11-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Well, I just really thought about this, and I was wondering maybe if you could direct me to a link for a download to a easier version of linux or something that will be easy as hell to install from this Knoppix.

OErjan
11-06-2004, 10:42 AM
the only thing easyer would be me sitting next to you i am afraid. Knoppix (and derivatives) adre among the easyest.
on the other hand for hd install knoppix is not very good.
installing a proper distributtion perhaps in the "easy" part of the spectrum would likely save you some troubel though, as Knoppix is not aimed at hdinstall, like Suse, Mandrake, Fedora. they have easy to folow setups with more detailed explanations on the way to a good install.

but in my opinion you have just a minor problem. most likely solved bu typing

sudo modporbe ne2kpci
or

sudo insmod ne2k-pci
and then after that there is a 20-25% chance that
pump eth0 shouled get you out on the net.
if not you have to go trogh setting up the network parameters.
Knoppix>Internet and i am uncertain what more in 3.2 i havce 3.6...
if you try something with network...
btw do you have a modem or just a "hole in the wall"?

JeRM
11-06-2004, 11:02 PM
OErjan. can you just IM me via AIM. it would be much more convieniant.
BTW, only the 2nd command in your last post gave me feedback, and still the ethernet is not picking up internet connection.

I live in Houston. Maybe you can just fix my comp LOL. Ill ship it to you ^.^

OErjan
11-07-2004, 03:06 PM
you have PM