View Full Version : Knoppix for Gamers

eadz
11-04-2004, 03:59 AM
We made a Knoppix together with a german game magazine. It's
a bit hidden:

http://www.pcgames.de/external/browser/?article_id=336074&image_id=423720
(see left bottom)

http://www.pcgames.de/?article_id=336074

It's a Knoppix 3.6 with lots of games (size about 1 GB compressed).
It's not necessary to mention that this Knoppix is from our hands
(of cource you may if you want ;). I think it's more important that a
games magazine begins to care for Linux as gaming platform.

Ati and Nvidia Drivers are included (they're installed into the
RAM-Disk) and I installed a lot of games I ever wanted on a Knoppix:
cube, vegastrike (makes only sense after installation), the demos
from www.garagegames.com (Marble Blast, Mutant Storm, Orbz, ThinkTanks),
Enigma, Imaze, BzFlag, ClanBomber, Gl-117, GlTron, Jump'n'Bump
(special patches), neverball, neverputt, supertux, tuxracer,
simutrans, battle for wesnoth, freeciv, netpanzer, pingus, stratagus,
boson, netris and of course it's complete Knoppix.

Perhaps you like to add this to your news section...

Regards,
Martin Öhler

nvgringo
11-04-2004, 05:07 PM
sounds great! I don't understand German. How do I download the ISO?

fredforfaen
11-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Where can we get the gamers edition , it doesent say on that site.And the same goes for v3.7 ...where can i get it???

Thomas

evilfreak
11-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Update: http://www.pcgames.de/?article_id=336128

It's only available inside this magazine (at least for now). Should people really like it.... :wink: perhaps a public version will follow.

Martin

aay
11-05-2004, 02:28 AM
...It's
a bit hidden... Indeed. So hidden that I can't find it. Eaden, do you have a link to the iso?

Adam

A. Jorge Garcia
11-05-2004, 02:52 AM
OK, its 1GB compressed, so I can't burn it to a 700MB CDR. So, I could use bootfrom with a standard KNOPPIX liveCD boot from a copy on my hdd?

TIA,
AJG

eadz
11-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi,
No, I have no idea where to get the iso. I'm guessing someone will have to buy the magazine and upload it.

evilfreak
11-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Hi,
No, I have no idea where to get the iso. I'm guessing someone will have to buy the magazine and upload it.

Do you think it would be senseful having gamers edition parallel to the "normal" Knoppix?

Give us a hint/poll/anything... :wink:

Ciao,
Martin

Harry Kuhman
11-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Do you think it would be senseful having gamers edition parallel to the "normal" Knoppix?

Give us a hint/poll/anything...
I would certainly be in favor of it. But I would think that games that need a hard disk install should be avoided; they might as well be installed later from the network (perhaps the CD might include a list of links to them).

mcreel
11-05-2004, 09:57 AM
I'd be a bit surprised if there aren't other Knoppices remastered for games, but I have a "Pol and Ona's Linux" which is 3.4 with all the games I could find in debian unstable.

My kids like it OK - it gets about 30% of their game-playing attention, with the rest going to the leading brand. If anyone wants the .iso, let me know, michael.creel@uab.es

XPconvert
11-05-2004, 10:04 AM
It's a great idea - for instance if you have a locked down work PC, then a Knoppix Gamer would allow you to have fun without affecting any configuration.

There is also the Morphix gamer edition, which is a sister product, and is great fun, but I like the idea of a pure Knoppix base.

[/img]

A. Jorge Garcia
11-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I was going to mention MORPHIX. However, there haven't been any new releases since 0.4-1 which as about a year old now. So some of the games are a bit dated. For instance, you cannot play bzflag online with the MORPHIX Gamer CD because no game servers support the older version of bzflag installed on the CD!

Regards,
AJG

tarstarkas
11-06-2004, 05:06 AM
There is also KnoppiXMAME for emulator fans. :wink:

evilfreak
11-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I was going to mention MORPHIX. However, there haven't been any new releases since 0.4-1 which as about a year old now. So some of the games are a bit dated. For instance, you cannot play bzflag online with the MORPHIX Gamer CD because no game servers support the older version of bzflag installed on the CD!

Regards,
AJG

Hmm, bzflag is included in the gamers version. I'll talk to Klaus about
a gamers edition (it should be synced with the "normal" Knoppix releases). CD or DVD?

Ciao,
Martin

evilfreak
11-06-2004, 11:00 AM
There is also KnoppiXMAME for emulator fans. :wink:

Yeah, MAME rocks!

Ciao,
Martin

Harry Kuhman
11-06-2004, 11:09 AM
... CD or DVD?
My vote would be CD, at least at first. You can fit lots of smaller games on a CD (like the many that have been removed from Knoppix over the various releases). As you get to the larger games you might well need a DVD, but it will serve fewer users and they likely will be the users who install to hard drive and just download the game they want anyway.

tarstarkas
11-07-2004, 02:49 AM
I vote for both, Game DVD and CD! (sure could get alot of games on a DVD....)
:wink: Throw in some emulators too!

Targaryen
11-08-2004, 09:49 AM
I'd be a bit surprised if there aren't other Knoppices remastered for games, but I have a "Pol and Ona's Linux" which is 3.4 with all the games I could find in debian unstable.

My kids like it OK - it gets about 30% of their game-playing attention, with the rest going to the leading brand. If anyone wants the .iso, let me know, michael.creel@uab.es

jur, mcreel, are you studying (or teaching ;) ) in the UAB? I'm a student of ETSE (1st year) :D If you want we can meet in the university and give me the ISO (and maybe take a beer together or something ;) )

Greetings!

Bodhi
11-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Hey, Mcreel I downloaded your Pol and Ong Live CD and its great. Loads of games. I wasn't able to get 3D acceleration on my systems with Nvidia card or Radeon, but it rocks on ATI Rage and Intel Extreme Graphics (i810). Thanks for the link!

frankster
11-13-2004, 03:29 PM
anybody got a bittorrent link for either this "Pol and Ona's Linux" or the knoppix for gamers?

robertm
11-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Can non-german Knoppix users download this gem?
Can you please post a link to a .torrent or any other way it can be downloaded ftp, web, etc...

Please

mcreel
11-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Since there have been a few requests, I put the .iso in ftp://volcano.uab.es/pub
This is just plain Knoppix 3.4 with openoffice and kde internationalization removed (I think, don't remember), and all the games in Debian I could find added.
Michael

Harry Kuhman
11-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Perhaps it is more popular than you realized. You posted in the middle of the night for U.S. users, I found the post and tried to follow the link 5 minutes after your time stamp, and I'm just hanging trying to get into the site.

Harry Kuhman
11-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Following up: I can finally get in, but there are no files there.

mcreel
11-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Hi, I just looked, and the iso is there. I know that people have downloaded it from the site, too. Here at the UAB, about 40000 students are checking their email right now. Maybe that's the problem. It seems that this is more popular than I imagined it would be. I'd really appreciate it if some gamer could bittorrent this, so that the IT people don't get mad at me for using a university server to distribute a games CD. If anyone does so, please email me michael.creel@uab.es

Thanks, M

Ghandalfar
11-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks for posting this.

There are two isos. Which one is correct?

nvgringo
11-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Could someone please post a torrent. I would like to use this for a base for a remaster

Harry Kuhman
11-15-2004, 07:46 PM
sorry to keep repeating, but in trying to follow the link I still get very long delays and then finally a screen that shows no files. I have tried this with multiple computers now and all I get back is
Index of ftp://volcano.uab.es/pub
Up to higher level directory

Not sure what's going on, maybe the ftp server is set to only serve files to certain ranges of IP addresses. But whatever it is, I too am hoping someone will post a torrent link.

frankster
11-15-2004, 08:41 PM
I think its a problem with passive ftp (perhaps the machine is behind NAT or a firewall). I have only been able to download it with command line ftp utility but not things such as konqueror and wget.
I am currently downloading it and will try and put up a torrent for a day or two when its completed (i.e. later tonight or tomorrow evening).

thirty6hands
11-16-2004, 03:16 AM
I've just discovered knoppix, really neat form of linux.
I'd also like to see a torrent link posted if possible.
thanks!

Ghandalfar
11-16-2004, 09:45 AM
http://sigma.livecd.net/~gandalf/pol_and_onas_linux.iso
http://sigma.livecd.net/~gandalf/parallelknoppix-2004-10-23.iso

(up for a while .. untile someone sets up a tracker)

Harry Kuhman
11-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks. Please post md5 sums.

And the second one is what exactly?

mcreel
11-16-2004, 10:10 AM
http://sigma.livecd.net/~gandalf/pol_and_onas_linux.iso
http://sigma.livecd.net/~gandalf/parallelknoppix-2004-10-23.iso

(up for a while .. untile someone sets up a tracker)

Thanks, it seems like the ftp server here is giving some problems.

I doubt that gamers will want parallelknoppix, it's for setting up a linux cluster. See http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix for more info about what it does.

Also, someone mentioned using "Pol and Ona's Linux" for a remaster. Don't do that - plain Knoppix 3.6 is a better place to start. There's nothing in my iso that you can't install with apt-get from the ordinary repositories. You can use kpackage to see a list of installable games.

mcreel
11-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks. Please post md5 sums.

parallelknoppix-2004-10-23.iso
7c2a436789cff522ec8229f340b02e59

pol_and_onas_linux.iso
bd108983f94af99b42b9003a91109407

Direct to you from the horse's mouth.

Harry Kuhman
11-16-2004, 09:56 PM
pol_and_onas_linux.iso
bd108983f94af99b42b9003a91109407
Mine matches! Thanks.

I never have any problems with any other binary downloads, but the Knoppix downloads from the official mirrors are bad for me half the time or more (I've traced it to a translation that happens, as if it were a text file rather than a binary file, that replaces the Linux "newline" with the MS CR/FL byte pair). So I always like to check the Knoppix md5 before I contribute to my coaster collection.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-18-2004, 03:09 AM
parallelKNOPPIX looks very interesting. It ieven has step-by-step remastering and MPI tutorials on the CD! How is this different from openMOSIX (ie: clusterKNOPPIX and QUANTIAN)?

Regards,
AJG

mcreel
11-18-2004, 10:00 AM
parallelKNOPPIX looks very interesting. It ieven has step-by-step remastering and MPI tutorials on the CD! How is this different from openMOSIX (ie: clusterKNOPPIX and QUANTIAN)?

Regards,
AJG

Sorry to put this long response in the games forum, but you asked here...

Here's the theory, as I understand it, but I'm not an expert on openMosix. With openMosix, which is used by ClusterKnoppix and Quantian, all MPI processes start on 1 computer, and they migrate off when that computer becomes more loaded than the others. See http://howto.x-tend.be/openMosixWiki/index.php, and type "LAM" in the search box there for more information.

With ParallelKnoppix, a standard MPI clustering environment is established before any MPI programs are run. So the parallel parts of the MPI programs know which node they are to run on from the outset. Now some speculation: I believe that the openMosix approach will work well for highly parallelized programs that require little communication between the parallel parts once the program starts. I speculate that this will not work as well when the program has parallelized parts interspersed with serial parts that run on the master computer. I think this will be the case since the overhead of determining which processes to migrate will be incurred repeatedly during execution, rather than once at the outset. I have no idea of the magnitude of the openMosix overhead in relation to the overhead of MPI communication. I haven't seen any evidence, and I don't have the time to investigate it myself, since ParallelKnoppix works well for my research needs.
If you have any more questions maybe you should email me at my address posted higher up in this thread. Cheers, Michael

robertm
11-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Please, I beg you and I guess it's not just me who wants Knoppix 3.6 for Gamers.
I am giving away free CD's/DVD's with Knoppix for kids and windoze users to popularize Linux among them and awaken their interest for Linux.
This remastered Knoppix 3.6 gor Gamers could be just great to boost people's interest in Linux and it's capabilities.

So PLEASE could anybody who bought the magazine put up the ISO on some ftp/http or even better seed it on to bittorrent!?

Thanks!

btw: As I understand this remastered Knoppix 3.6 for Gamers comes with original/official NVidia and ATI 3d hardware acceleration drivers, is that correct?

Best regards,
Robert

A. Jorge Garcia
11-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Michael,

Thanx for the info. I would love to do an end of year project with my AP Computer Science students (High School Seniors here in NY, USA) involving parallelKNOPPIX! I had 25 nodes based on a hdinstall of QUANTIAN last year (each node is a Pentium IV 2.8Ghz with 750MB RAM). That was very interesting! But we only touched the surface....

Robert,

If you want games and nvidia on a liveCD, then MORPHIX Gamer is for you.

I tried out POLandONAS and my kids, PAULandSARA, love it. Why not try it?

Regards,
AJG

chris-uk
11-21-2004, 06:27 PM
If you get a 'qemu', you can make a Knoppix that boots 'virtual' under Windows (with autoplay, even. And virtual networking). Doing this to morphix-game gives some games that are fast enough. http://www.morphix.org/debian/autorun/qemu might be a good place to start, as might http://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/qemu/index-en.html.
Virtual DVDs are fun too.

evilfreak
11-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Please, I beg you and I guess it's not just me who wants Knoppix 3.6 for Gamers.
I am giving away free CD's/DVD's with Knoppix for kids and windoze users to popularize Linux among them and awaken their interest for Linux.
This remastered Knoppix 3.6 gor Gamers could be just great to boost people's interest in Linux and it's capabilities.

So PLEASE could anybody who bought the magazine put up the ISO on some ftp/http or even better seed it on to bittorrent!?

Thanks!

btw: As I understand this remastered Knoppix 3.6 for Gamers comes with original/official NVidia and ATI 3d hardware acceleration drivers, is that correct?

Best regards,
Robert

Robert:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
http://games-knoppix.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

Yes, there will be a public version soon. We plan some very nice features like a tool for managing joysticks and gamepads...

Ciao,
Martin

PraxZeus
12-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Thats really cool. I went to the link and I saw the list of planned games but I was woundering if there was any chance that 3D games would be added as well, mainly like first person shooters that can be played online with fellow live cd users, well anyone for that matter. For example like Enemy Territory, UT2k3, Soilder of Fortune demo's 1 and 2, Quake 3 demo, Doom ect. Their are a lot of cool multiplayer demos out their that could be utilized, I know that space will always be an issue so the amount of room for those types of games I'm sure would be very limited but perhaps a poll could be taken amongs the community to see which would be the most widely accepted game. Anyway just my 2 cents. Thanx for all the hard work and effort finally make a Knoppix game disc a reality.

- PraxZeus

A. Jorge Garcia
12-03-2004, 04:56 AM
While we are listing our favorite LAN Party games for inclusion, don't forget bzflag and freecraft as well as nvidia support for bzflag.

Regards,
AJG

made2000
12-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Ok I'm stuped :D You said this will be 1 gig compressed will it still work like 3.6 I am pretty new to linux knoppix anything but windows. So I'll still be able to write this to a CD and that like I do now. Someone said you will have to put somethings on the HDD if so can someone point me to a document on doing that. THANKS. :oops:

Harry Kuhman
12-06-2004, 07:09 AM
If anyone can still find a copy of an early release of Knoppux 3.1, it has a lot more games on it than the current release, and a particularly nicepool game simulation. Apparently games have been a prime canidate for something to remove when making space.

nvgringo
12-06-2004, 02:45 PM
BT site is up go get it!

pap2003
12-06-2004, 10:09 PM
There are legal problems with games-knoppix????
Why? What software is illegal?
What are these warnings on the http://games-knoppix.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ ?

fredforfaen
12-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Thank you so much , and thank you to all the parties involved....this was just the thing i was looking for.

:lol:

SUOrangeman
01-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Per the BitTorrent tracker (and DistroWatch), ...

http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

-SUO

A. Jorge Garcia
01-08-2005, 03:13 AM
What's the difference between 3.7-0.1 and 3.7-0.2?

TIA,
AJG

nvgringo
01-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Different games, Cube for one, some shareware. something does not seem quite right though I'm not sure what got removed to make room for the games but when I click on the icon for HDA1 I get a menu requesting what application to use. There was no home icon in the bar either.