PDA

View Full Version : How to enable telnet daemon on Knoppix ?

markraem
11-04-2004, 03:51 PM
How to enable telnet daemon on Knoppix ?

I tried to look for /etc/xinetd.d/telnet, but cannot find it.

If I make the changes, will they be saved so telnetd will automatically run after restart.

Or do I have to adapt the knoppix.sh script by myself ?

mzilikazi
11-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Well I don't *think* Knoppix uses xinetd but I do not have a Knoppix disc handy. Try:
/etc/init.d/telnetd start

probono
11-04-2004, 10:22 PM
You should seriously consider ssh instead of telnet.
It can be started in Knoppix by typing
sshstart

Greetings,
probono

OErjan
11-05-2004, 10:26 AM
and i can reccomend putty as a windows client to ssh (and sftp, scp...) the advantage is a radical security improvment as trafic is encrypted.
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

markraem
11-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Tnx for your reactions.

1. /etc/init.d/telnetd does not exist on KNOPPIX 3.6.

2. when you do :

cd /
find . -name telnetd -print
you get /KNOPPIX/usr/lib/telnetd

However, this direcory is EMPTY !

3. I prefer to use telnet above SSH, since telnet clients are installed by default on WIN (still used by my employer). It is even by default installed on KNOPPIX.

4. I am very surpised that there is no telnetd standard available running on KNOPPIX.

Why not the telnet server ? I do no want to say that it has to be enabled by default, but an available telnetd executable would be nice.

OErjan
11-05-2004, 12:55 PM
the reason being that ANYONE can breach the security of a computer running telnet, it wont take 2 min.
then the really scary bit begins, that person "OWN'S" (or atleast can "own" it without much trouble) the computer and as he is inside the network most other machines there are threatened aswell.
using telnet is about as security aware as using wireless lan with wep and other available security measures turned off. one big holle easy to walk or even run trough.

To sum it up telnet is a OLD program that has not eveolved to deal with todays hostile networking environment, just the thought of sending usernames and passwords in plain text, and doing it in a way that any packetsniffer can see and display with help of notepad is not exactly good.

probono
11-05-2004, 02:03 PM
and i can reccomend putty as a windows client to ssh (and sftp, scp...) the advantage is a radical security improvment as trafic is encrypted.

And you can install it by simply clicking on klik://putty (klik client needs to be installed, see http://klik.berlios.de)

mzilikazi
11-05-2004, 02:40 PM
3. I prefer to use telnet above SSH, since telnet clients are installed by default on WIN (still used by my employer). It is even by default installed on KNOPPIX.

4. I am very surpised that there is no telnetd standard available running on KNOPPIX.

Why not the telnet server ? I do no want to say that it has to be enabled by default, but an available telnetd executable would be nice.

A look at the packages.txt tells me that Knoppix has the following:
ii telnet-ssl 0.17.24+0.1-2 The telnet client with SSL encryption support
ii telnetd-ssl 0.17.24+0.1-2 The telnet server with SSL encryption support

markraem
11-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Tnx for your thougths

Markraem