PDA

View Full Version : Saving Files to floppy disk

kepler
11-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi,

I want to copy some files - while running Knoppix - to a floopy disk. What command(s) should I use? In the Linux site tell us to do the following:

mount -t vfat ext2 dev/fd0/floppy
cp file_to_copy /floppy

In Knoppix it doesn't work ( the floppy path is probably different ).

Does anyone knows how to do this? In fact, we might extend the question: can I save the files I want to the hard drive?

Regards,

Kepler

OErjan
11-04-2004, 07:36 PM
not quite right, maybe a typo from you or them.

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy
if you have DOS formated floppies.
now
cp file-to-copy /floppy/

or just right-click on the floppy-icon choose mount , leftclick same icon and use the filemanager that pops up. close it when finished and unmount the flopy (again rightclick...)
EDIT
storing to hd depends on filesystem to some degree, to reliably store to windows readable filesystem fat 12, 16, 32 is ok, NTFS is somewhat fiddly and not 100% secure yet imho. so if you have a fat32 hdd (or partition) you could easily remount that read/write and use that
/EDIT

kepler
11-04-2004, 08:03 PM
The command:

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy

doesn't work; instead of it appears the explanation of its usage.

Kepler

OErjan
11-04-2004, 08:20 PM
do you have a /floppy directory? if not you hvae to make one, a mount point is where you go to look at the files in the mounted filesystem.
mkdir /floppy should make the directory (sudo might be required)

Harry Kuhman
11-04-2004, 11:24 PM
I want to copy some files - while running Knoppix - to a floopy disk. What command(s) should I use? In the Linux site tell us to do the following:

mount -t vfat ext2 dev/fd0/floppy
cp file_to_copy /floppy

In Knoppix it doesn't work ( the floppy path is probably different ).

Does anyone knows how to do this?

Do you see a floppy drive icon in the GUI? If so you should be able to mount the drive just by clicking on it. This will also give you the name. You may have to remount it with a shell command for write access though.

In fact, we might extend the question: can I save the files I want to the hard drive?
The answer to this is Absolutely..........
maybe
here's the thing: Linux is known to have issues writing to NTFS partitions. So if you have only NTFS partitions on the hard drive, do not write to them, unless you really don't care about the data or your windows install.

However, if you have FAT or other partitions on your hard drive, yes, you can write to them just fine.

I use Knoppix with a notebook that came with XP and one 30 gig NTFS partition. First thing I did was shrink the C partition down to 10 gig and assign the rest to a FAT partition. I can read either partition with Knoppix, but I only write to the FAT partition.

And Knoppix will always play safe and default to opening your partitions read-only (remember, it's original intention is to be a Live CD that the novice can put in a computer, boot into Linux, and not hurt anything). So you need to remount the FAT partition as read-write before you can write to the drive. But this is extremely simple, a few minutes with the man pages and I was compiling downloaded source files onto my D drive just fine (was harder figuring out paths to make them run than to compile them to disk).

kepler
11-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Hello,

I understand what you are saying. Is it needed to give some specific command(s) to enable the writing? Do you copy the files to there?

How do you do it and configure it? And how do I put the FAT partition with read or write?

Regards,

Kepler

Harry Kuhman
11-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Hello,

I understand what you are saying. Is it needed to give some specific command(s) to enable the writing? Do you copy the files to there?

How do you do it and configure it? And how do I put the FAT partition with read or write?
Not sure who this was addressed. If it was me, you might start with the command man mount and look at the -w and remount options. Again, be sure you're not going to write to a NTFS partition.

OErjan
11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
he has said in an earlyer posting that X does not worlk for him. therefore the "compolicated" way.