PDA

View Full Version : sound system

lewisdw
11-05-2004, 03:28 AM
I'm running knoppix 2.6 (installed on HD). I have a nforce2 motherboard (NF7-S) and my sound card is working. However, I noticed that while one program has the soundcard in use (i.e. xmms), I don't get sound from anyother source (firefox, system sounds, etc). I'm not sure what is being used (alsa, oss, etc). I looked in the 'control center' and in their 'sound system' is disabled. I tried enabling it, and xmms stops working. Any pointers on this would be appreciated.

CrashedAgain
11-05-2004, 04:25 AM
To play sounds from more than one application you must use the sound server aRts & you will need to install the xmms-arts plugin so that xmms can use aRts also. Apt-get install xmms-arts then you have to configure xmms to use aRTs as the output plugin. This setting is in options->settings->Audio I/O Pluguins.

For KDE system sounds, enable sounds system in kde control center, then enable all system notification sounds. Then you have to edit the hidden file /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc & change all three settings to 'true'.

[Misc]
LastConfiguredApp=The KDE Window Manager

[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true

Why kde doesn't do this automatically when enabling system sounds is a mystery to me but it doesn't.

For konqueror plugins to play streaming audio through aRts you have to check the "'use artdsp to pipe plugin sound through arts" check box. This is located Konqueror->tools menu->configure konqueror->plugins->plugins tab.

CrashedAgain
11-05-2004, 04:27 AM
Moderator: This is a very common question. Perhaps it should be made a sticky (in General support since it is true for running from CD also).