PDA

View Full Version : 2 VERY STRANGE problems with hdd install that arent w/liveCD

redss
11-05-2004, 04:42 AM
I've been an avid user of knoppix LiveCD for almost 2 years since v3.1

However there are 2 WIERD things that only happen on my new hdd install, but not liveCD:

1) in konsole, when I try to vi a file, it takes 20 seconds for vi to start up! However if I go to one of the 6 CONSOLE sessions (for example with ctrl-alt-2), vi starts instantly (as it does with liveCD)

2) I cant launch X apps from a konsole session anymore, like I could in LiveCD. For example, now in my hdd install, if I type "kwrite &", the process exits with the following message:

kwrite: cannot connect to X server 0:0

I have a feeling the 2 issues are related to something in my konsole environment.
Ideas, anyone?

[/code]

CrashedAgain
11-05-2004, 03:53 PM
I really have no idea so I probably shouldn't even post but perhaps there is a hint here
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11608 which will get you started.

redss
11-07-2004, 03:19 AM
From what I've read in this forum, you'd think xhost would be the solution, but not for me...

typing "xhost local:" or "xhost +" (as user OR root) results in the following error message:

unable to open display "0:0"

redss
11-11-2004, 05:23 AM
I found a partial solution, I got vi to run without delay from konsole, by typing "export TERM=linux". I don't know why TERM=xterm caused the slow startup time.

Still need an answer on how to start X apps from konsole tho...