PDA

View Full Version : V3.2-2003-03-28 (quick but possibly important bugfixes)

aay
03-28-2003, 07:12 AM
- myconfig=scan bootoption should work now as expected
- Default for "Use entire partition?" in mkpersistenthome is now "NO"
- Fixed two small 'break' errors in autoconfig
- Changed one now Xfree4.3-supported Savage graphics card in pcitable
- Re-added linneighborhood (another SMB browser, now we have 4)
- Default NL keyboard is now en_US in KDE, with option to change to nl_NL
- Fixed wrong dates in CHANGELOG. ;-)

Viro
03-28-2003, 11:34 AM
They're coming out faster than I can burn them. :shock:

But seeing as 2003-03-24 works fine for me, I think I'll just sit tight.

adamm
03-28-2003, 04:17 PM
I made myself promise that I would not download anything for at least a week after the 3.2 release. I guess it's paying off.
:wink:
I'm amazed at the quick releases and ammount of fixes this week. Klaus kicks some major butt!

bamarob
03-28-2003, 05:42 PM
That's just great! I just finished burning a CD-RW from the image I downloaded yesterday. I guess I should've checked here first....

BR

Tom Tiger
03-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Wow... More support for the Super Savage, That is just
totally excellent ! Anyone know if it has a softswitch for
TV-out? If I use the harddware switch built in to my
Toshiba (4280 sat pro) knoppix 3.1 just fails after 10
minutes with xine or mplayer.

I'll download this one tomorrow :D

L8tr... Tom "Penguin Powered but Zenit adjusted"

thewalkingman
03-28-2003, 09:27 PM
KDE wouldnt load :(

gcoker
03-28-2003, 09:40 PM
I have had a problem with burning CDs with a Sony Spressa USB burner. X cd toaster does not even run (seems to start then dies) and K3b fails during the task. The 3.2 iso image was burned using 3.1 and X cd toaster on the same system, so it has worked fine. I must say that I have failed to read error logs. Have not tried it on a system with an ATA burner yet. It was unexpected because it all worked so good with 3.1.

Still works better that it was when I had it running on Win98. I was almost ready to scrap the burner, then I ran it on Linux. Have produced as many silver coasters total since turning to Linux as I would produce in one secession under Win98! I use Knoppix to burn CDs on my Win system (required by the company) using my USB burner. It is a little slow (4X), but is burns as fast as our 16X departmental burner on NT. Burned my first iso with the NT setup and since I have not looked back!

Would like to see the USB burner work so I can put 3.2 on my laptop. I like the graphics! I with hard disk install it this weekend and play around with the applications the next little bit.

Overall, I like Knoppix and the selection of applications. It is crowding out other distros for me. I have put it on both desktops and laptops with no problems. It has failed to come up on a system, but I have not tried any of the cheat codes because it is so easy just to try another computer. The computer has a wierd configuration where the on-board AGP is disabled and the "real" video is PCI. Knoppix finds the on-board AGP video and things go downhill from there. Do not blame Knoppix for that one.

I like Debian and Knoppix puts a nice face on it. I have one fast link and will burn new updates as fast as they come out!

The one thing that I would change is to add flexiblity in the partitions. I have to be more clever than I like to be to add /home et cetera. Besides I have to remember to set up my disk. Would like to have /boot without gyrations! It is not a big pain, just a little one. Compared to everything else, I'll adjust.

tsaelee
03-28-2003, 11:30 PM
I installed (yes, like the speed of hdd) 3.2-23-3-2003 version, had difficulty getting apt-get to update or install. Is the source not correct or is the apt-get problem?

qa1433
03-29-2003, 04:16 AM
When booting the live CD of todays release, persistant home works fine. But, when it finds the save config file it look for a passwd. It needs a 20 character passwd. :roll:

Is there a default passwd it needs to boot? :?:

Thanks for the help,
paul 8)

ckapsl
03-29-2003, 04:48 AM
When booting the live CD of todays release, persistant home works fine. But, when it finds the save config file it look for a passwd. It needs a 20 character passwd. :roll:

Is there a default passwd it needs to boot? :?:

I had the same problem, although I explicitly saved the configuration without a password.

ckapsl
03-29-2003, 04:49 AM
Is this update available through BitTorrent ?

qa1433
03-29-2003, 05:39 AM
ckaps,
I got mine from the below site. It transfered at almost 180kb. Pretty fast.! :wink:

Swiss SunSITE (Switzerland)

Planty of bandwith.

paul 8)

Henk Poley
03-29-2003, 08:33 AM
My soundcard doesn't work anymore, it used to work in 3.1 :-(

I hoped it was fixed in the last release:

- aumix is now started as background task in knoppix-autoconfig
(some broken soundcards seem to block on mixer-ioctls, preventing
the init script to continue).
But still when I try to run aRts from KDE it says:

Error while initializing sounddriver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device or resource busy)
The soundserver will continue using the null output device.
Yes, I've tried all the other output options (OSS, ALSA, TOSS)

"sudo lspci -v" output:

00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)
Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc: Unknown device 0300
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
I/O ports at d800 [size=64]
Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
As far as I know this card is supported by the kernel.

btw, default en_US keyboard under cheatcode lang=nl is much better indeed.

Jester^
03-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Anyone have saveconfig/myconfig=scan working with a floppy with this release?

qa1433
03-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Jester^,

I could not get my save config file read during boot up.
It wants/needs a 20 character passwd. Some kind of encripted passwd?
paul 8)

number6
03-30-2003, 12:56 AM
2003-03-26 did not work on my Athlon with some ATI All in wonder.
KDE did not work (segfault after X11 gets launched). Going to download
and test 2003-03-28 :?

RockMumbles
03-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Jester^,

I could not get my save config file read during boot up.
It wants/needs a 20 character passwd. Some kind of encripted passwd?

paul

I'm running 3.2 v.3-24 on a computer at school and the password is for the home not the config file, when I boot it gives me the password error but I continue and when I'm in kde as user knoppix the home file is being used. So what I take that to mean is that during boot it is trying to load the home for root (just a guess).

My saveconfig is not working either (see 3-28 changelog), but so far it appears that PH home is working at least partially, as I haven't used it much so far, all of my kde user settings were kept on reboot but printer and system settings were not.

rock

fyxxer32
03-30-2003, 06:04 AM
I noticed in the OpenOffice program when I went under new file, all the type of documents were in german. Is there a way to change this to english?

Tom Tiger
03-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Okay.. I'm running 3.2 03-28 now. Like the other experimental
versions it fails to detect correct video (3.1 had problems on
some other notebooks too but detected more modes)
so far it goes into 640x480 mode on the Savage IX (Toshiba satelite pro 4200 series and 4300 series)
Trident / ALI on the satelite pro 6000 series and several others
but easily correctable with the cheatcode. So not a real problem.

On my Satelite pro 4270 (Celeron 500 128 mb ram) I've done
a harddrive install, got one ide0 error during install but install ran
through and error was corrected, a few buttons are missing in the
taskbar and again it failed to go higher than 640x480 but again easily correctable and I'm running 24 bit 1024x768 now with the Savage IX installed in X. Hurra! :D

Funny enough.... I'm now watching a divxrip of Band of brothers
which fails to run on my Windows 98 (with divx 5.03 installed)
through Xine in fullscreen. No hitch, No glitch..... runs nicely. :lol:

L8tr... Tom

Henk Poley
03-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Funny enough.... I'm now watching a divxrip of Band of brothers
which fails to run on my Windows 98 (with divx 5.03 installed)
through Xine in fullscreen. No hitch, No glitch..... runs nicely. :lol:
I've heard that most people have downgraded to divx 5.02, since it's more stable.

Stig
03-30-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm trying to get Knoppix 3.2 (beta 2003-03-28) to boot in english language and with danish keyboard support, but cannot succed. I used to do this the following way in Knoppiz 3.1 (beta 2003-01-20):

APPEND lang=en keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

I've tried that in 3.2, and also using lang=us instead of lang=en, but in both cases I end up with a german desktop. Danish keyboard works however.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Stig
03-30-2003, 02:13 PM
Let me add, that when booting with default settings I end up with an english desktop, so I am using the english boot-image (KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-28-EN.iso).

Tom Tiger
03-30-2003, 03:54 PM
I've heard that most people have downgraded to divx 5.02, since it's more stable.

Odd.... but it would explain some things. Some films run fine others just fail
or the sound stays behind. And some codecpacks make it worse.

But no problems yet with Xine or my Mplayer on my Knoppix 3.1 system.
Yet another reason to switch 8)
Now I just need to configure it to display on my TV and it is getting closer
to perfection...... :)

L8tr... Tom

Henk Poley
03-30-2003, 05:11 PM

Odd.... but it would explain some things. Some films run fine others just fail
or the sound stays behind. And some codecpacks make it worse.

But no problems yet with Xine or my Mplayer on my Knoppix 3.1 system.
Yet another reason to switch 8)
You: "Hey, I see you are running old codecs, shall I upgrade them?"
Friend: "Okay, good idea"
You: "And have you ever tried Linux, I've got nice boot CD named Knoppix, wanna try?"

Days later:
Friend: "Cool, videos seem to playback much smoother under this "knoppux" or whatever you call it. Odd that I didn't see this stuttering under Windows before."
You: "That's the power of Linux. Do you want me to install it on your harddisk so you won't need the CD anymore?"

... ;-)

Tom Tiger
03-30-2003, 05:47 PM
You: "Hey, I see you are running old codecs, shall I upgrade them?"
Friend: "Okay, good idea"
You: "And have you ever tried Linux, I've got nice boot CD named Knoppix, wanna try?"

Days later:
Friend: "Cool, videos seem to playback much smoother under this "knoppux" or whatever you call it. Odd that I didn't see this stuttering under Windows before."
You: "That's the power of Linux. Do you want me to install it on your harddisk so you won't need the CD anymore?"

... ;-)

hehe... Yep thats the way to convert them
Works every time :D

I found another odd thing... which basicly means that 3.2 is an
improvement over 3.1. IMHO

I've got two Toshiba notebooks (Yep I'm lucky) both are 4200's
one runs Knoppix 3.1 the other the 03-28 3.2 experimental

The 3.2 runs videos more smoothly on battery than the 3.1

L8tr... Tom

Henk Poley
03-30-2003, 05:58 PM
I've got two Toshiba notebooks (Yep I'm lucky) both are 4200's
one runs Knoppix 3.1 the other the 03-28 3.2 experimental

The 3.2 runs videos more smoothly on battery than the 3.1
Laptops do *odd* things with hardware when running from battery. Seen a laptop (non-SpeedStep) that would have severe hickups on video playback when you didn't put the plug in and the battery was below 80% or so. Otherwise no problems.

Viro
03-30-2003, 05:58 PM
There's a bug with the 3.2 release. If I do a hd-install, I cannot get it to shutdown, but I can get it to reboot. If I choose to shutdown from the KDE menu, the screen just goes black, and nothing else happens.

Tom Tiger
03-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Laptops do *odd* things with hardware when running from battery. Seen a laptop (non-SpeedStep) that would have severe hickups on video playback when you didn't put the plug in and the battery was below 80% or so. Otherwise no problems.

Yep, they sure do, my 4270 has small hickups when the battey comes below 70 to
90 percent, playing videos, same problem in Red hat, knoppix 3.1 and 3.2.

But runs fine otherwise :)

L8tr... Tom

helge
04-29-2003, 03:19 PM
When I use a config file which is known to be working, and a persistent home, parts of the config file are ignored.

For example: knoppix floppyconfig home=scan

Then this happens: It finds the persistent home image file on /mnt/hda12 and the config file on the floppy. It asks for a password for the home image file, although it shouldn't. The home directory /home/KNOPPIX is mounted rw anyway.

But for the configuration: The keyboard language is set alright, but the XF86Config-4 file is not taken from the configuration file, resulting in that the mouse wheel is not working.