PDA

View Full Version : XF86config and knoppix on my hard drive

maxer
11-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I've hit just one snag since installing knoppix on my hard disk, and I suspect it's because Knoppix autoconfigures xf86. My monitor is a little quirky and has a range of refresh rates different enough that I have to specify them myself. I've tried running XF86Config and I've tried editing the files manually, but everytime I restart the files are reverted to their default state. It's not a huge problem as the default refresh rate works at 1024x768, but I would enjoy being able to change resolutions :) any ideas?

mmaki
11-06-2004, 06:00 AM
Try configuring with XF86cfg (http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/xf86cfg.1.html). It will launch a GUI config tool that I sometimes find easier to use when I'm having trouble with X.[/url]

CrashedAgain
11-06-2004, 06:02 AM
I've hit just one snag since installing knoppix on my hard disk, and I suspect it's because Knoppix autoconfigures xf86. My monitor is a little quirky and has a range of refresh rates different enough that I have to specify them myself. I've tried running XF86Config and I've tried editing the files manually, but everytime I restart the files are reverted to their default state. It's not a huge problem as the default refresh rate works at 1024x768, but I would enjoy being able to change resolutions :) any ideas?
Knoppix rewrites XF86Config-4 but I thought it only created a new Xf86Config-4 if it couldn't find an existing one. Anyway, it bases it's rewrite on XF86Config-4.in so if you edit this file as well it should incorporate your settings.
I'm assuming you have a HD install an not a 'poormans' install. If it's a poormans install, you will have to create a persisitent home & also save your configuration specifying 'save /etc files also'.