PDA

View Full Version : some questions on using knoppix

adrianmak
11-06-2004, 01:15 AM
I'm using knoppix 3.6. I have following questions

by default account knoppix is the default account and will login automatically, how do I use another new created account ?

any settings e.g. dekstop settings, new account creation, etc changed will be lost after reboot, how do I keep these things permanent ? (fyi I always plug in an external usb hdd for my files storage, so how to save mentioned settings in the external usb hdd ?)

What's the purpose of "permanent home ....." ? If I execute it, what does it do in the background? e.g. partition a hdd ? or something else

firebyrd10
11-06-2004, 03:11 AM
I'm using knoppix 3.6. I have following questions

by default account knoppix is the default account and will login automatically, how do I use another new created account ?

any settings e.g. dekstop settings, new account creation, etc changed will be lost after reboot, how do I keep these things permanent ? (fyi I always plug in an external usb hdd for my files storage, so how to save mentioned settings in the external usb hdd ?)

What's the purpose of "permanent home ....." ? If I execute it, what does it do in the background? e.g. partition a hdd ? or something else

persistant home saves your /home directory somewhere to boot up to later. It will save almost all the settings and is very useful.

Stuff like printers need a saved config (I save the persistant home and config on the same drive.) The options are both in the knoppix menu.

adrianmak
11-06-2004, 09:08 AM
as you said that persisent home save /home permenant to somewhere e.g. hdd, usb flash,etc
how about if I modify a config file under /etc , how do I keep it permanent ?

OErjan
11-06-2004, 09:59 AM
remaster is a safe bet. should work 100%

adrianmak
11-06-2004, 03:30 PM
remaster is a safe bet. should work 100%

do you mean that the "permanent home" is only save personal settings like desktop settings for other settings like adding new user , modified config file under /etc , to keep permanent I need to remaster the iso, right ?

there is no way to load these config during boot up, right ?

OErjan
11-06-2004, 03:47 PM
some but not all /etc files can likely be saved (fstab, pppconf...and some other).
i do not know which, but files needed high in the init is not possible, you need to have a system to load the nonstandard ones so...

franz29
11-06-2004, 07:07 PM
have a look in knoppix.sh

(saveconfig coppy this on same partition wher you saved your config)

un ather way shout works untar the archife and addit your change of /etc