PDA

View Full Version : Can't find KNOPPIX file system

Spool32
11-06-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi,

I have a compaq nx9110 laptop that will not boot Knoppix.

I have:
checked the MD5 hash
burned a second ISO
actually booted the CD in my desktop machine

If I simply boot to "knoppix" it shows my hard disk as "hda" and my dvdrom/cdburner as "hdc" it then tries to load knoppix from dev/scd0 at which point the hard drive & cd-rom lights flash for a few minutes and then the machine locks up hard.

I've also tried "knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" and "knoppix ide2=0x180,0x386" with the same results as above.

I don't remember the command issued, but it's the one that does as little hardware detection as possible. When I try that, I get "can't find KNOPPIX file system ..." and it dumps me to a very limited shell.

I think the problem is in the hda,hdc,scd0 - should it be looking at hdc instead of scd0? I can arrange, derange, mutalate files, burn a new CD or whatever it takes - if someone could at least point me in the right direction or tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Harry Kuhman
11-06-2004, 02:40 AM
I have a compaq nx9110 laptop that will not boot ...

I've also tried "knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" and "knoppix ide2=0x180,0x386" with the same results as above.

Just a hunch based on my HP notebook:
knoppix (or knoppix26) noscsi acpi=off

Spool32
11-06-2004, 06:46 AM
HK, thanks for the info. I tried it out to no avail. By some trial and error, I figured out that all I needed was the "nodma" switch and it seems to work well.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get Kismet & my Orinoco to work in here... the fun's just beginning I'm sure!

:D

ka1axy
11-18-2004, 03:54 PM
I have had this problem on 3 machines that booted the 3.4 CD just fine. They're all about 5 yrs old, with ATAPI CDs. What I found worked was:

boot: knoppix atapicd nodma

Hope this helps

Peter

raph
11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
I have a similar problem with 3.6. My CD is just not being found. AFAICT the boot sequence is looking at hda, hdc, scd0 ... but not hdb, which is where my CD actually is.

Even if I boot with noscsi it still tries to find a Cd on scd0 etc.