PDA

View Full Version : where on knoppix can i find a backup program?

kevstar31
11-06-2004, 03:35 AM
i use fat32.

mmaki
11-06-2004, 05:16 AM
Well that all depends on what you mean by backup. Do you back up to tape, backup to another disk, back up an entire system or selected files? Knoppix has tools for most of these. One of the best is partimage to make an image of your disk.

kevstar31
11-08-2004, 04:24 AM
i need to backup files to a cd.

firebyrd10
11-08-2004, 04:25 AM
i need to backup files to a cd.
K3b is what you need then.

kevstar31
11-08-2004, 10:10 PM
How do i use k3b? Does it have good compression? Can i have cd images on hard drive to burn to cd later?

helios17
11-08-2004, 11:55 PM
I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago. Mondo is a command line tool (dont let that freak you out...its easy) and you just feed it cd's as it compresses the disk data. the cool part is that you can set the first disk to be a boot disk. that way, in the event of a crash, you just slide in disk one and it auto loads the system just the way it was. You will have to do a bit of reading in mondo man, but aint that the way of linux. Its about the easiest of the alternatives. when you start the process, it will invoke k3b as a matter of course. you dont have to do anything to open it.

apt-get mondo and it will set it up. I am using a hd install of 3.6 and it works perfectly. I have hosed this system twice and reinstalled it flawlessly. One note...during your apt get it may complain that the system needs "mindi". just do an apt-get mindi and then apt get mondo again

helios

kevstar31
11-11-2004, 09:50 PM
you just feed it cd's as it compresses the disk data.

I only have one cd drive.

helios17
11-11-2004, 10:45 PM
once mondo is started, it will tell you to put a blank cd into the drive and it will write and compress one at a time. when one is done, it will tell you to put another blank in. its easy and works about the best of any of the backup utilities. Another to look at is cdbackup. you can apt get it as well. I forgot to mention. when you run mondo, you need to log in as root.

helios

OErjan
11-12-2004, 04:24 PM
do you know anyone with an external CDburner then? USB burners normaly work right away in knoppix (tried 5 diferent this far and heard of MANY more working great)

kevstar31
11-13-2004, 01:02 AM
once mondo is started, it will tell you to put a blank cd into the drive and it will write and compress one at a time. when one is done, it will tell you to put another blank in. its easy and works about the best of any of the backup utilities. Another to look at is cdbackup. you can apt get it as well. I forgot to mention. when you run mondo, you need to log in as root.

helios knoppix needs cd to run.

firebyrd10
11-13-2004, 02:30 AM
What he is saying only works with a HDinstall anyway.

K3b is just a burning program. If you want to compress file try useing ark.