PDA

View Full Version : Black screen on a HP laptop

your_breakfast
11-06-2004, 03:22 PM
After starting any kernels after the knoppix screen "press F2 or F3 and blah blah blah" i see loading vmlinuz............................... and then i get a black screen. I can't tell you what kind of a model it is exactly. I heard somewhere, that i can fix that by changing something in the bios-setup. But i dont know what to do exactly. Help!!

OErjan
11-06-2004, 03:44 PM
actually when you se that with pressing f2... press F2, then you look what the text says, type (example) :
knoppix26 fb800x600 noscsi atapicd nodma
then press enter. it might not work, hmm, ok try another kombo, knoppix26 noscsi desktop=icewm
and so on, the cheatcodes should work, that is if you have a good CD, typing testcd when that line with boot: appears tests that

Harry Kuhman
11-06-2004, 08:22 PM
............................. and then i get a black screen. I can't tell you what kind of a model it is exactly....
My HP laptop goes and stays blank at the same point with recent versions of Knoppix. Older versions worked fine. I can get past it with two cheat codes, I use either knoppix noscsi acpi=off or knoppix26 noscsi acpi=off for the newer kernel. Maybe it will work for you, maybe not. MY notebook is, exactly, a model ze4240 with an additional 256meg of memory added. Your results might be different. Why can't you tell us what model it is exactly, some sort of secret?

your_breakfast
11-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Thaaanx :mrgreen:

knoppix noscsi acpi=off noapm solved the trouble.

Harry Kuhman
11-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Thaaanx :mrgreen:

knoppix noscsi acpi=off noapm solved the trouble.
You're welcome. What's the noapm and how did you figure out that you needed it?

your_breakfast
12-02-2004, 07:28 PM
You're welcome. What's the noapm and how did you figure out that you needed it?

The laptop instantly freezes after executing apmd. That's how I disabled it.

OErjan
12-04-2004, 10:20 AM
apmd is the "advanced power managment daemon" that is used in olderl aptops.