PDA

View Full Version : knoppix questions

boxoman
11-06-2004, 06:18 PM
sometimes i will not be able to close programs running in knoppix... i opened the xine media player and could not get it to close... i tried to use kill in the console but could not figure it out. had to restart to close it. also does anyone know why some programs just dont open. most work fine but i wait for some and they never open? any help would be grand

thanks,
Derek

franz29
11-06-2004, 06:51 PM
to find a programm running do in console

pstree -ap

to kill
killall (prog found in pstree) or kill -9 (number off tread)

boxoman
11-06-2004, 11:07 PM
thanks....helped alot

OErjan
11-07-2004, 12:10 PM
if something doesn't open try opening it by typing the name in a console. if it can't open it will scroll some cryptic (and sometimes not so cryptic) messages at you. put them here and we shall see what is wrong.

CrashedAgain
11-07-2004, 04:21 PM
sometimes i will not be able to close programs running in knoppix... i opened the xine media player and could not get it to close... i tried to use kill in the console but could not figure it out. had to restart to close it. also does anyone know why some programs just dont open. most work fine but i wait for some and they never open? any help would be grand

thanks,
Derek
ctrl-alt-esc will kill programs. Just crtl-alt-esc & move the skull & crossbones cursor to the window which won't shut down & click.