PDA

View Full Version : has usb cdrom booting ever been resolved?

GStoll
11-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Has the problem of booting from a usb cdrom drive ever been resolved? I'm referring to the problem that the machine will start booting from the CD but then report that it can't find it and will drop you into the "very limited shell".

The tricky bit here is that I'm trying to bring up a bunch of blade computers. Everything on these (floppy, cdrom, keyboard, mouse) is connected via USB and USB only (there is one set that is shared/switched among the 14 blades in one chassis).

Thanks,

-Gordon

firebyrd10
11-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Has the problem of booting from a usb cdrom drive ever been resolved? I'm referring to the problem that the machine will start booting from the CD but then report that it can't find it and will drop you into the "very limited shell".

The tricky bit here is that I'm trying to bring up a bunch of blade computers. Everything on these (floppy, cdrom, keyboard, mouse) is connected via USB and USB only (there is one set that is shared/switched among the 14 blades in one chassis).

Thanks,

-Gordon

I've been having no problems booting from a USB cd-rom.

rooksmahn
12-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Hi,

I had the same issue. I tried different cd's, tried 3.6, still same problem. My last resort was the update the system BIOS on the blade (which BTW I didn't think would make a difference but it needed to be done anyway so I had nothing to lose) and low and behold it worked!

It accessed the usb cdrom via /dev/hda1

My hardware platform is:

IBM BladeCenter (8766)

Initially the blades shipped with 1.04 of the BIOS and I updated this one to 1.06. It didn't work with 1.04 but did work with 1.06.

So if you haven't updated your BIOS yet, try that out!