PDA

View Full Version : cant write to hdd (Part II)

boo ya
11-07-2004, 04:08 AM
Ok this is me carrying on a problem from a few months ago
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11961&highlight=
i didnt want to bump that so ive started a new 1
Now bak to it :P
im trying to do wat that last guy said (mount read+write)but it tells me "you must specify the filesystem type"
wat else do i put in that line to specify the filesystem type?

kevstar31
11-07-2004, 04:23 AM
type
su
qtparted
when qtparted comes up slect the free space and tell it to create partion

boo ya
11-07-2004, 04:26 AM
type
su
qtparted

the partition has already been made and has been formatted as ext3

kevstar31
11-07-2004, 04:29 AM
knoppix appers only to work with ext2
you also need to run as root
instructions (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9504)

boo ya
11-07-2004, 05:19 AM
Aw is that all :P (i was never aware ext3 not compatible wit knoppix)
thankx man ill try that out later :wink:

firebyrd10
11-07-2004, 06:29 AM
Wrong, Koppix fully supports ext3.

Truthfully I like useing -a to let mount find the part type.
But, why are you useing the consol?

boo ya
11-07-2004, 07:40 AM
But, why are you useing the consol?
Im just doing what people are telling me to do:\

I just want to get a linux partition made and formatted ready to put software on such as firefox.

Some 1 want to give me proper instuctions on how to do this?
all this crap its driveing me nutts!

shah
11-07-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm confused and don't really understand the question.
I'm guessing that you create an extra partition (ext3) not the one for installing knoppix, and you want to write to that partition.

If that the case, let do some test.
1) check /etc/fstab and see if that partition is included.
Which partition? Do a fdisk -l in konsole and you will see all the partition. See if the dev for your ext3 is in fstab. If not, then put it in.
ex: if that partition is /dev/hda3
/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec,umask=000,quiet 0 0
You can change noauto to auto if you want it to mount without your intervention.
Then reboot.

2) Lets try mounting and write something
Open konsole:
su
enter password
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
cd /mnt/hda3
mkdir test
ls
see if directory test is there.

If success, you might want to consider adding Run as SU service menu to your konquerer. It wiil make it easier for you to switch to between user and su.
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=11227

The important thing is, you need to be root so that you can write to that partition. Unless you install as Knoppix style which you need to enable write previlage after you mount that partition.

Good luck. :D :D

CrashedAgain
11-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Your original post:

hi
i recenlty made 2 partions 4 knoppix so that i can install software on them. But when i go to try and make a new folder to a partion it says that "it could not make this folder". I have un ticked read only and it still wont do anything??

HELP?????
I'm confused what you are trying to do:

Question #1: Are you trying to install Knoppix to the HD? If so, it is not necessary to have a pre-formatted drive, the installer will format for you (using qtparted). Just 'sudo knoppix-installer' and the install procedure will format whatever drive you specify for you. Post back if it doesn't.

Question #2: Do you have knoppix installed to HD and are trying to add applications in a different partition? If so, why? Applications are normally installed into the same partition as the operating system is on by using dpkg, apt-get, kpackage or synaptic package managers. The only directory you might want to put on a different partition is /home so that your data is protected in case of a total system crash.

Question #3: Or are you trying to run Knoppix from CD but run applications which are installed on the HD? If so, this is done by creating a persistent home (and a saved configuration) on the HD then installing applications using 'klik'. Create the persistent home & save configuration using the links on the "Knoppix" menu item.

Please explain what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

Also please post the output from
fdisk -l
cat /etc/fstab
cat /etc/mtab
so we will know exactly what partitions & setup you have now.

franz29
11-07-2004, 06:33 PM
rihght clic on icon on desk

propietes (is last tab)

you get a popup tab driver and look if ther is read only anable[/img]

boo ya
11-07-2004, 07:35 PM
thankx guys
ill try all this out later when i get home
Edit: Ok! heres my fstab

/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda /mnt/sda vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

Heres My Mtab

/dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0
/dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
/ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw,size=816540k 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw,devmode=0666 0 0
automount(pid648) /mnt/auto autofs rw,fd=4,pgrp=648,minproto=2,maxproto=4 0 0
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 rw 0 0

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
cd /mnt/hda3
mkdir test This worked, but the problem is i cant do that physically, u know right click make new folder? im sure its possible, just somethiing else needs doing that i cant se.

CrashedAgain
11-08-2004, 03:57 AM
Ok. that helps.

Since mtab has /dev/cloop, you must be running from CD.

I'm surprised 'mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3' worked since (according to fstab), knoppix has not detected a /dev/hda3. Did you perhaps mean /dev/hda7?

It is not surprising that there is no hda3; normal linux drive designations for windows partitions are hda1 for the windows primary partition (usually windows C drive); hda2 for the entire windows extended partition and then the numbers start at hda5 for the logical drives within the windows extended partition (windows D,E etc).

You can change /dev/hda7 to mount automatically by changing the 'noauto' to 'auto'. Adding umask=000 will make it automatically read/write. But this change will be overwritten each time you boot unless you save your configuration somewhere using the 'save configuration' command in the 'knoppix' menu item.

IMPORTANT: Your drives hda1,hda5 and hda6 are ntfs fromat. You will NOT be able to write to any of these partitions from linux unless you use 'captive ntfs', direct writing to ntfs from linux will damage the ntfs filesystem. Hda1 probably contains windows (XP?), what are hda5 & 6? If these are just data drives, you can reformat them vfat (back up your data first!!!!!) then both windows and linux will be able to write to them.

Post the output from fdisk -l so we can see if there are partitions knoppix has not detected. and please respond to questions 1,2&3 so we will know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

If it is to create a persistent home and save configuration onto /dev/hda7 (and install applications there using klik) you should be able to do that now by running 'create a persistent home' and 'save knoppix configuration' from the 'configure' submenu in the knoppix' menu item (click on the little fat penguin on the panel). You may have to mount /dev/hda7 manually first with 'mount -rw /dev/hda7' (it will auto amtically mount it on /mnt/hda7 as listed in fstab). Then boot 'knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan' to use you persistent home & saved config file. You should not have to change your fstab, knoppix will mount the partition read/write if it finds a persistent home there.

How big is /dev/hda7? if over 2.5 gig, you could do a hdinstall on it.

boo ya
11-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Post the output from fdisk -l so we can see if there are partitions knoppix has not detected.
I know for shore there are no hidden partitions :)

and please respond to questions 1,2&3 so we will know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

What i was trying to do dosent fit into 1, 2 or 3, all i want is it be able to store data on a linux partition.

thou come to fink of it, 3 sounds like a good idea. HHHMMMM

CrashedAgain
11-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Post the output from fdisk -l so we can see if there are partitions knoppix has not detected.
I know for shore there are no hidden partitions :)

and please respond to questions 1,2&3 so we will know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

What i was trying to do dosent fit into 1, 2 or 3, all i want is it be able to store data on a linux partition.

thou come to fink of it, 3 sounds like a good idea. HHHMMMM

If that's all you want to do, 3 is probably the easiest way to do it, just make a persistent home. When you boot "home=scan" knoppix will automatically find it & mount it read/write and you will be able to add applications using klik.