PDA

View Full Version : unable to write on windows box!!

Spacecube
03-28-2003, 11:06 AM
hello there,

i've searched the forum and the faq's for any hints resolving my prob but i didn't find anything that helps.

i tried to copy a file from my knoppix 3.2 over samba to a share on a winNT server.

i did that just with smb://IP/SHARE in qonqueror AND i did that by mounting this share to a directory i createt (/mnt/transfer)

the FAQ says that it is possible to write on a windows share if i mount the share on my knoppix machine.

the error message i've got is: access denied

i used the following command to mount the share:

mkdir /mnt/transfer
chmod 777 /mnt/transfer
chown knoppix:knoppix /mnt/transfer
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=*adminpasswd* //sz20s08/install /mnt/transfer

is that because it is a ntfs partition??
i thought that it is possible to write on windows ntfs shares over smb...

how can i solve this problem??

RockMumbles
03-28-2003, 03:17 PM
You cannot write to a ntfs partition.

rock

Spacecube
03-28-2003, 03:21 PM
not even if the ntfs partition is on a "external" Windows box??

i'm asking that because it was possible to write on the mounted share with the rootshell of knoppix...

i.e. cp test.txt //server/share

greetz
spacecube

aay
03-28-2003, 06:16 PM
What do you mean by "external" box? If you are running Knoppix from the CD or from a HD install it is UNSAFE to write to any NTFS drive (or partition) on that same computer. In this situation you can read from the NTFS partition/drive with no adverse consequenses just don't try and write to it.

If you have are file sharing with a different box via Samba then it's fine to add and delete files.

----------------
EDIT
I didn't read your first post well. It looks like you are already trying do this via samba. I don't mess with Samba much, but I've heard that mounting via Konqueror in the current versions of Knoppix is broken. Because of this problem in Konqueror Klaus stated in the changelog of the most recent release (3-28) that he added another Samba share utility: Lin Neighborhood. (which he also said brings us up to 4 - I don't know what the other 3 are - check the docs.)

Hope this helps.

cascadefx
03-28-2003, 09:14 PM
not even if the ntfs partition is on a "external" Windows box??

i'm asking that because it was possible to write on the mounted share with the rootshell of knoppix...

i.e. cp test.txt //server/share

greetz
spacecube

Yes you can write to a shared windows drive even if it has NTFS. The problem is, you can't write to it using Konqueror which only supports SMB reads across the network.

The way you get around this is using the smblcient utility to connect to the share. Type man smbclient in a shell to view the manual pages. If you are familiar with text-based FTP, smbclient works roughly the same way. I use this all the time.

Basically, you type smbclient //sharecomputer/sharename -U username

You will then be prompted for a password. Type the password and then you will be dropped into the smb client shell (smb>).

Type help for a list of commands.

Type help commandname for help with commandname.

If you want to copy directories make sure to turn on directory recursion (type recurse).

It is very easy to use. The files that you copy will generally be copied to and from the directory that you started smbclient from. Therefor, unless you want to deal with path names, move to the directory that you want to use before launching the client.