PDA

View Full Version : rut roh...top says 3 users?

nishtya
11-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey folks, posting here because this is about an ill-fated Fedora Core 2 install on my spare linux partition. (see other post here in lounge).

I had a lot of problems with the installer and though I saw my friend run through an install it was on a RedHat server. Anyhow, with the freezes and such I decided to run top when I hit the desktop to see maybe if there was something zonking out and eating memory, whatever. Top shows 3 (THREE?) users. Methinks this bad?

I don't have a sw firewall configured. The anaconda installer is an ugly piece of work for the firewall config and I let it go with none and thought I could wait until later and use like guarddog to configure the iptables (not much success in installing pkgs on FC). I am behind a router. Any ideas of what I could try to see where top is getting such an idea? A lot of commands I am used to using are missing from that installation. Shoot, I am over my head with that distro. Thoughts?

Cuddles
11-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Not sure if these are valid commands, in that install, they were reported in a Sys Admin book I have, it says it was for, mostly RedHat, but, I found them to exist in Debian - maybe they are "common" Linux commands :?:

This will get you a textual, scroll display, like top, but one-shot EVERYTHING
ps -auxw

This will get you who, and what, is connected or established, in ports
netstat -natu

This will get you what your "portmapper" is showing
rpcinfo -p

Lastly, this was given to me, comes in handy, all users logged in
users

Hope this helps,

nishtya
11-07-2004, 08:08 PM
okie
ps -auxw, looks like I am up to four its counting rpc and rpcuser. Never saw that in kanotix. Has to be a configuration thing - what did I leave out/put into this thing?

netstat -au is "command not found" as is netstat, modprobe, iptables -L, lsmod, lspci...about half of the commands in my limited repetoire don't seem to exist here :roll:

rpcinfo -p, yeppers MIA

users = nish, nish, nish? Me me me. Okie. Little, yellow, different. I have a headache :?

My attempt at getting the iptables configured with firestarter (guarddog isn't available to me, but hey, any port in a storm) may have shutdown my port 25 because I can't get any email out of here anymore.

If nothing else, this had made me appreciate debian so much more! LOL I just brought my kanotix back from a bloody mess (yes, good ol apt and updating/upgrading-we know it so well, Cuddles. A warped copendency on the thing) so I have one victory and above, what I believe is a total loss in fedora running LOL