PDA

View Full Version : Installation of NVidia GeForce with Knoppix 3.6

CKLM
11-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Hi,

i want to install Knoppix on my computer. I have two graphikcards, but this is only a small problem. The bigger problem is, to install the NVidia-driver. Which kernel should i use? 2.67 or 2.4.27?

Is there anywhere a tutorial how to install the driver?

When i try to install the driver on 2.6.7 it show at least an error, the kernel is wrong, or false... :?:

Then i try it on 2.4.27 the driver can be installed, but the X-Server doesn't start, without an error.

Is there any possibility to install the driver without the driver from nvidia?
Is there a binary, which i had only to install? :)

Sorry for my questions :D

Regards, Christoph

chris-uk
11-07-2004, 11:47 PM
For NVIDIA with a 'live' CD and Linux 2.6, try Kanotix http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewtopic.php?t=3649

For NVIDIA with a 'live' CD and Linux 2.4, try Morphix http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/morphix/MorphixCombined-Gamer-0.4-1.iso?download

Klaus is an open-source type, who is less than happy to reship a module for which he can't ship the source. Kano and Alextreme are more pragmatic.

Of course, if you know someone from NVIDIA, you could point out the problem and see if they would package a version of their driver which would be easier for Debian multi-kernels (like knoppix24/knoppix26) to work with. I' sure NVIDIA don't want to lose out to Intel Extreme Graphics.

markleong
11-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Do the following:-

Download driver from nvidia website (should be the one with A32).
Restart knoppix in console mode (run level 3)
Make sure the downloaded nvidia is runnable (chmod 777 if not sure)
Run the script. You may be asked about gcc. Take the risk and let it run. You may also be asked anout re-compiling the kernel. Re-compile it.
Modify /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 by changing the "nv" driver to "nvidia".
I suggest you reboot back to console first.
Try startx and see the error.
If it does not work, it is most likely to be due to depth and resolution setting. Experiment until it works. Here is a funny thing. The resolution you see here may not be the one you see when you start your computer at run level 5. Anyway, if you see something, change back to run level 5 and reboot.

You should see the nvidia screen and boot into graphics mode.