PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix file system not found when i try to boot

stew207
11-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Im kind of new to linux. I've been running redhat 9 off of a second hard drive in my system with the first one being windows xp. (used a boot disk to boot) After messing around with the knoppix cd, i wanted to install it. On my second hard drive i created 2 partitions. The first one about 9 gigs with the ext3, and a one gig swap partition. I go through the whole knoppix-installer and it makes a boot floppy and says its done. When i go to boot niether the floppy disk works nor the cd rom with the command "knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdb1" So I was just hoping one of you knew where I could be going wrong.

eon
11-09-2004, 04:18 AM
Hi, What is the screen output and/or error messages when you attempt to boot using the floppy? Also what version of knoppix are you installing? Maybe you want to try using smartboot manage or gujinr to find your bootable partition. I have used gujin http://gujin.sourceforge.net/
to find and boot installed distros.

franz29
11-10-2004, 08:34 PM
try knoppix nodma

if not boot the cd mount your hdb1

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1
ls /mnt/hdb1/boot/*

and post result her

stew207
11-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks, I just got back from out of state, I'll give it a try.

As for the boot floppy it went into the lilo screen and none of the linux options booted. One of them would type "Liunx" at the boot: prompt. The other one was "Linux(2.4)" and "Linux(2.6)" Im not sure on the exact version number but it was somthing along those lines. But each one it said it wasnt found and took me back to boot:

Im starting to wonder if im setting up the partitions right.