PDA

View Full Version : spreading Knoppix due to MS Windows "issues"

locutus
11-09-2004, 01:05 AM
Today made the 4th household where Knoppix was used getting back online after MS Windows software had extreme "issues". Two of those households are now running Linux 100% of the time and soon a third will be. The forth site had already purchased a new computer before I was able to get them Knoppix for the old/corrupt PC. I might have to wait until this one gets corrupted before they'll relook at Knoppix/Linux but that probably won't take long. ;-)

Thanks Mr Knopper and associates. :-)

BTW, changing the default boot parms to include home=scan and myconfig=scan makes for a nice reuseable boot system. I use this in cases where a potential user isn't quite ready to fully switch to Linux but wants to use Knoppix over and over for awhile before deciding.

Harry Kuhman
11-09-2004, 01:25 AM
BTW, changing the default boot parms to include home=scan and myconfig=scan makes for a nice reuseable boot system.
For the sake of someone who has never remastered, can you provide information on how to change this default or a link to the information? (I wouldn't mind adding the few cheat codes I need when booting too.)

locutus
11-09-2004, 04:11 AM
I hope you know how to make a bootable CD. You'll need to know that to do this little "hack" of Knoppix.

The boot file you need to edit is found on the Knoppix CD:
/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

ADD the following two items to the first APPEND entry:
myconfig=scan home=scan

NOTE: don't make them the first/second item or one of them won't work. Funky, but that's what I ran into.

FYI: I used the handy Remastering scripts( see Remaster forum and look for something about Remastering the Easy Way ) to build my system so you might need to look at those scripts on how to specify the boot image needed when burning your updated Knoppix back to CD.

greygooseplz
11-25-2004, 04:02 AM
Today made the 4th household where Knoppix was used getting back online after MS Windows software had extreme "issues". Two of those households are now running Linux 100% of the time and soon a third will be. The forth site had already purchased a new computer before I was able to get them Knoppix for the old/corrupt PC. I might have to wait until this one gets corrupted before they'll relook at Knoppix/Linux but that probably won't take long. ;-)

Thanks Mr Knopper and associates. :-)

BTW, changing the default boot parms to include home=scan and myconfig=scan makes for a nice reuseable boot system. I use this in cases where a potential user isn't quite ready to fully switch to Linux but wants to use Knoppix over and over for awhile before deciding.

As a guerilla fighter in the war against microsoft, burn a dozen Knoppix cds, take them to Compusa, bestbuy, circuit city, etc etc... Put the bootable knoppix in choice Pc's and power off....When a customer decides to check out the computer theyre looking to buy theyll boot the Linux Os and fall in love.

8)

Jameson
11-26-2004, 03:07 AM
As a Splinter Cell (PS2) addict make sure to shoot out any cameras and disable any Microsoft insergents before you pop knoppix in. :wink: :lol:

firebyrd10
11-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Yea, don't get caught, you'll be in big trouble for putting weird cds into their computers.