PDA

View Full Version : Linux beginner - how to add new packages?

phsieh
03-28-2003, 02:19 PM
:?:

I just started learning Linux. Knoppix is really great for this purpose. There are two packages that I really need when using Linux: g77 (gnu fortran compiler) and gmake (gnu make). g77 was in Knoppix v3.1, but not on v3.2. make is included in knoppix, but, not gmake. So, I would like to customize knoppix by taking some games out and add these two packages in. Can anyone explain in steps how this can be done? I will assume that I can simple get the binary versions of these two packages from Gnu ftp site, right? Can I get the rpm version and use it? If yes, how do I install the rpm version and add them to Knoppix? Thanks!

jtally
03-28-2003, 05:17 PM
I would start at the KnoppixRemasteringHowto and see if there are debs for the packages you ar looking for.

EOvermeer
03-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Try this as root user

apt-cache search g77 (or some other description)
apt-get install packagename

It is also possible to convert the rpm to a .deb package with the alien command.

alexferrer
04-03-2003, 07:35 PM
I am looking for the same answer, basically I would like to install a package on my user space.

So far, I believe that the only way to do it is to basically remaster a new iso and bur your custom disk. (not easy but not that hard eaither)
alx.