PDA

View Full Version : file:/mnt/floppy does not exist

flebber
11-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I have just installed knoppix 3.6 to my hard drive I am trying to open an office 2000 document from a floppy but when in OO I use file>open but cannot see anything when I try to go via floppy
I cannot open any disks I get the above msg file:/mnt/floppy...

Help appreciated as this is my girlfriends resume and i am copping grief about OS change I am happy tho :D

CrashedAgain
11-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Possibly you have to mount the floppy first, Oo may not be starting the automounter. Can you access the disk using the desktop 'floppy' icon?

flebber
11-09-2004, 11:04 PM
How do i mount the floppy?

flebber
11-09-2004, 11:06 PM
I cannot access the floppy by the desktop floppy icon either

CrashedAgain
11-10-2004, 04:04 AM
How do i mount the floppy?
'sudo mount /dev/fd0 ' should do it but I suspect something else is wrong & it's not detecting your floppy drive.

Do you have this line in your /etc/fstab file?

/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0

Are you getting any error messages?

flebber
11-10-2004, 08:05 PM
i logged into root

it showed

root@box:/home/flebber I entered in the line you showed but i was denied permission

as

bash: /dev/fd0 :permission denied

CrashedAgain
11-11-2004, 05:37 AM
I sounds like knoppix is not detecting your floppy drive. When you start up you should see a line ( in green) 'Automounter started for cdrom floppy'. Is it there?
Do you have a /dev/fd0? Check with 'ls /dev/fd0'? You should get a response '/dev/fd0'. Do you have the line quoted above in your /etc/fstab file? Check with 'cat /etc/fstab'.
Try 'sudo mount /floppy' (or just 'mount /floppy' if you're already root). If you don't get any error message the try 'ls /floppy'. If the disk is mounted you should get a directory. Here's what I get with a disk which has a file called nddundo.dat on it:

root@1[knoppix]# mount /floppy
root@1[knoppix]# ls /floppy
nddundo.dat
root@1[knoppix]# umount /floppy
root@1[knoppix]# ls /floppy
root@1[knoppix]# ls /dev/fd0
/dev/fd0
root@1[knoppix]#

flebber
11-11-2004, 11:54 AM
yes the above line is in there but before it I get

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount -ro 0 1
then the above line follows

for is /dev/fd0 I rec no such bash: is: command not found

finder
11-11-2004, 05:14 PM
To the list and crashed;
I have long been botheed ( more like stalked ) by a hacker. I have been using Knoppix to keep the hacker at bay. The identical problem that you are having I am as well. This is not CD or corrupt files on the CD or OS. It is the deliberate actions of a hacker to delete your files. I did run the following on my machine and this is the output for those that are inerested in this.
By the way if anyone can help us in resetting up our security after we have been hacked that would be very greatly appreciated.

thanks again

richardheil@lycos.com

I took the suggestions and this is the output

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mount /dev/fd0
/dev/fd0: Input/output error
mount: mount point /mnt/auto/floppy does not exist
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

copied from ect/fstab

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
noauto,users,exec 0 0

tried this suggestion to get root

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ root@box
bash: root@box: command not found
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ root@box:
bash: root@box:: command not found
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ root@box:/home/
bash: root@box:/home/: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ root@box:/home/flebber
bash: root@box:/home/flebber: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

tried the bash suggestion

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ bash /dev/fd0
/dev/fd0: /dev/fd0: Input/output error
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ ls /dev/fd0
/dev/fd0
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ cat /etc/fstab
# Added by KNOPPIX
noauto,users,exec 0 0
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /floppy
ls: /floppy: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ root@1[knoppix]# mount /floppy
bash: root@1[knoppix]#: command not found
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

finder
11-11-2004, 09:06 PM
To the list;
I have lost root a long time ago. I just get by, using a few different machines and try to keep them off the net. Knoppix can be hacked. I think that they get access to root remotely, then they shut down the security. They can then tamper with all kinds of things. Sound card, PCI card, BIOS settings and prevent a number of applications from running or running right.
You would think that the ramdisk would flush everything but it doesn't. I removed my hard drive and so I run solely on the CD. It at least functions whereas HD's don't last one day on this machine. They are almost immediately hacked off the net. Usually it takes about a month to hack down my Knoppix live CD's.I have been using a BSD live CD and Knoppix 3.6 to reset my settings after they have been heavily hacked. I primarity use Knoppix 3.3 on the net and load up the others offline and then return with Knoppix 3.3 and just allow them to hack that version.This doesn't always work but I have these little tricks that keep me online but I am no programmer and so eventually I am shutdown but then there are new CD's to try. Then I am back into the game again and I start all over with this hacker. I don't know him/her and have no clue as to what its about. Some kind of game, maybe but this is how I cope with it.
Now I said I lost root a long time ago and its true. This is because of the matter of being able to create a persistent directory. Hackers know this and so they create one and lock you out. Then they make funky settings and whatever???
To get back root is a key to this problem and then secure it so that these file deletions do not occur. This also means no remote root. How can we get back root and deny all remote access to this with Knoppix?

let me know

thanks again

Richardheill@lycos.com

finder
11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
To the list;
I left the last message and I misspelled my e-mail address.
Respond to the root message to:

richardheil@lycos.com

thanks again

CrashedAgain
11-11-2004, 11:48 PM
to flebber:
OK, here is what we know so far:
1. If you have the line

/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
in your fstab file it means that knoppix has detected your floppy drive
2) If you have the line 'automounter started for floppy cdrom' when you start up it means that it has at least attempted to set up the automounter for the floppy drive.

Linux is different from Windows in how it reads drives, it needs to 'mount' the drive before it can read anything. The automounter is supposed to automatically mount the drive whenever a disk is inserted and the fstab line tells us that it will attempt to mount it in the directory /floppy. If there is no disk in the drive, you do not get a 'file not found' or 'device not ready' error like in windows, instead you get a 'file or folder /mnt/floppy does not exist' error because theis file is created by the automounter only when there is a disk inserted.

The commands we have been though so far are trying to mount the disk manually on the assumption that the automounter is not working. So let's try the automounter again:
In a terminal console, type: sudo /etc/init.d/autofs status
You should get something like this:

knoppix@1[knoppix]$ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout=2 /mnt/auto program /etc/automount.sh

Active Mount Points:
--------------------
/usr/sbin/automount --pid-file=/var/run/autofs/_:mnt_:auto.pid --timeout=2 /mnt/auto program /etc/automount.sh

Now try 'sudo /etc/init.d/autofs reload'
Now, insert a disk then try the desktop icon again. What error message do you get? (Maybe we're lucky & it worked!)

I see perhaps some errors in what you were trying before:
When you got this:

i logged into root

it showed

root@box:/home/flebber I entered in the line you showed but i was denied permission

as

bash: /dev/fd0 :permission denied

did you perhaps just type '/dev/fd0' and not 'mount /dev/fd0' ?

When you did

for is /dev/fd0 I rec no such bash: is: command not found

It should have been 'ls /dev/fd0' as in LS not IS (but in lower case letters...Linux is case sensitive). It is short for 'list'. It should respond back /dev/fd0 if /dev/fd0 exist, no response means the mount point /dev/fd0 is missing.

CrashedAgain
11-12-2004, 12:18 AM
to finder:

If you really are being stalked by a hacker, best solution is to install a firewall. Here is a couple of links to get you started on finding one:
http://www.smoothwall.org/
http://projectfiles.com/firewall/

To become root you use the su ("superuser") command
knoppix@1[knoppix]$ su
root@1[knoppix]#

For system security the first thing you should do is set passwords
First for user knoppix:

knoppix@1[knoppix]$ sudo passwd knoppix
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
then for root:

knoppix@1[knoppix]$ sudo passwd
Enter new UNIX password:

Notice I am setting both passwords without actually becoming root by using the 'sudo command since user knoppix has full sudo privilidges. This can also be a security risk, so for maximum security you may want to eliminate this by adding a # in front of the last line in /etc/sudoers file.

Your command ls /dev/fd0 worked as it should.
'bash /dev/fd0' was not a suggestion, it was a quoted response from a command. In your case, entering it as a command worked as it should & the error messages are a s would be expected.
The error message you got from entering sudo mount /dev/fd0 is unusual, you should have gotten a '/devfd0 is not a valid device file' error if there was no disk in the drive.
Since your fstab designated /mnt/auto/floppy as the mount point for floppies, first put a disk in the drive, then type 'ls /mnt/auto/floppy'. You should get the directory of the files on the floppy.

finder
11-12-2004, 04:04 AM
11/11/04

To the list;
I entered this commend into the Knoppix console and this is the result. I have no problem with doing this for any requsst in oorder to learn more about this. Take a look at the output.This is a typical result that I get for every shell request. Nothing ever works on my shell. Its like its disabled. With this in mind lets throw out what I know about this.
I have been stalked for years by this person and I really still don't know who it is but I do work as a worker advocate so there are enemies to me in gov't and business.I shouldn't be attacked because I only advocate the true status of laws and rules as they now exist and do not seek different laws..I get into problems in the fact that laws that do benefit the worker are not at all adhered to. I am sometimes anomously attacked and so where is it coming from???? I don't care to get into this for now. The thing we have at hand is this remote root problem.I will continue with this series in order to bring some sense to this but first a starting point.
Now I have this computer and it got a trojan horse in it. I didn't know enough to expel it. I tried to get files, programs and even other OS's. This guy owned me and I couldn't shake him. When I put programs in they do not execute. I just got fed up and started using live CD's. They quickly go to hell but I mostly just check e-mail and surf so it is not a major loss but it is a pain at times too. I do at times work at trying to figure out the programming but he clearly has me over a barrel over this. I have hung in there against him and all of what he knows for the longest time.Its a tribute to what I know but I would like to get rid of this person now and so in a way I am appealling to the computer community to help purge this stalker from my life. I will provide data as you need it so bear with me.
Now the hacker has root so he is the general. I have little say in what is happening and I am not fully in control.This talk of putting up a firewall is his decision until I can throw him out. Got some ideas?
This belief that Knoppix or any other version of Linux/Unix can't be hacked is total crap. These hackers call pull dirty code on any version of any OS like you make selections for a MP3 file. They get root and can pipe it in and you can't stop it until you gain total control of root. How can you when they own certain progroms like telnet, ssh and others?

let me know what you think and maybe we can discuss a plan

thanks and guess what I will be offering more on this but I am going out now so later

about your suggestion this is the output

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/auto/floppy
ls: /mnt/auto/floppy: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

thanks again

finder

CrashedAgain
11-12-2004, 06:19 AM
11/11/04

....... this is the output

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/auto/floppy
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

thanks again

finder

This is a normal output for this command if you do not have a disk in the floppy drive. The directory /mnt/auto/floppy is created by the automounter only when there is a disk in the drive.
If you are getting this result when you have a floppy disk in the drive it indicates that your automounter is not operating correctly.

If you feel that your system is being hacked, first change your root and user passwords. It would be a rare trojan that could keep up with a regularly changed password.
When you say, 'nothing ever works in my shell', what have you tried?

Try this:
ls /etc
You should get a directory listing of your /etc directory.

Try this
cat /etc/fstab
you should get a listing of you /etc/fstab file.

Try this
konqueror
You should get a couple of errors because you are trying to start an X (graphical interface) application from shell but konqueror should start.

try this
ping -c 5 216.239.57.99
you should get an output like this:

knoppix@2[knoppix]$ ping -c 5 216.239.57.99
PING 216.239.57.99 (216.239.57.99): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 216.239.57.99: icmp_seq=0 ttl=239 time=75.7 ms
64 bytes from 216.239.57.99: icmp_seq=1 ttl=239 time=69.4 ms
64 bytes from 216.239.57.99: icmp_seq=2 ttl=239 time=69.6 ms
64 bytes from 216.239.57.99: icmp_seq=3 ttl=239 time=69.4 ms
64 bytes from 216.239.57.99: icmp_seq=4 ttl=239 time=71.3 ms

--- 216.239.57.99 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 69.4/71.0/75.7 ms
knoppix@2[knoppix]$

216.239.57.99 is the ip address for google. Ping tests your internet connection.

try this:
cat /etc/sudoers
You should get this
cat: /etc/sudoers: Permission denied
because the sudoers file is readable only by root.

Now try this:
sudo cat /etc/sudoers

You should get this:

# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the "visudo" command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# KNOPPIX WARNING: This allows the unprivileged knoppix user to start commands as root
# KNOPPIX WARNING: This is totally insecure and (almost) makes knoppix a second root account.
# KNOPPIX WARNING: Never allow external access to the knoppix user!!!
knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

finder
11-12-2004, 02:15 PM
To the list;
Now I will try the suggestions and see where they go. It is not possible to put up a firewall after being hacked unless you rid the computer of the bad code that may prevent your executing the firewall program. The first thing a hacker will do is shut down your firewall and then put in code that prevents your executing the program. I have heard that in the past all they had to do is get you to open a file that was only 35K but now that size is even less at 15K. A simple e-mail is what I think did me in a few years ago. I think that the original file created a telent or ssh connection and then a pipe is established with bad code after discovering what OS is in use.
Sadly the dirty code is not created by the punks that send them they are created and posted on the web by people or students that excel at programming and find flaws in the OS's. They write binaries and then some punk picks it up and uses it against someone that they may or may not know.

I did get this output for su when I entered it into a shell..I thought I could delete ssh and see what would happen.

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# delete file:/KNOPPIX/usr/bin/ssh
bash: delete: command not found
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# del file:/KNOPPIX/usr/bin/ssh
bash: del: command not found
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mnt fd0
bash: mnt: command not found
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mount fd0
mount: can't find fd0 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

I also tried this.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------

Active Mount Points:
--------------------
/usr/sbin/automount --pid-file=/var/run/autofs/_:mnt_:auto.pid --timeout=2 /mnt/auto program /etc/automount.sh
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs reload
Reloading automounter: checking for changes...done.
Starting automounter: /mnt/auto.
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount fd0
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

One thing that I felt would be a good suggestion is to get some idea of thr programming size that exists on the disk and to then have a test that runs on the installing computer to see if that is exactly the size of what was installed or if there is some other code that is present when KNOPPIX loads. Like a checksum test.
Second thing is if I have bad code then where is it? I took out my hard drive and so where would it be??? I don't believe it is on the disk itself because I don't have a CD-W drive. Read only so that is out.Then we have memory. Well when you turn off your computer you supposedly flush the contents of the ram. I think that for the most part this is true. I had a hacking problem and so I turned off the computer and physically removed all the ram fully from the computer and then later replaced it again.It made no difference. Then that leaves the systemboard/motherboard as the only place the bad code could be. Now I also have a cable modem and a syslink router. Do these devices store code and what kind? Dould they or the computer BIOS store any bad code. I don't get the proper color on my screen when I check my BIOS and so I think it is hacked. Still where would it be and it is possible to reflash remotely a BIOS so possibly did this happen and what effect could it have?

any ideas?

let me know

finder

richardheil@lycos.com

finder
11-12-2004, 03:40 PM
To the list;

Sometimes getting root is not so easy.

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ /dev/fd0
bash: /dev/fd0: Permission denied
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# /dev/fd0
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# su
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# su
Enter new UNIX password:
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ code
bash: code: command not found
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ sudo password knoppix
sudo: password: command not found
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ sudo password
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# sudo password
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# sudo password knoppix
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

So I attempt to check out the sudos and do the find, search for sudos and I got three files and this is what it reads out.
Name In Subdirectory size modified permissions first matching line
sudoers KNOPPIX/ect/ 560 08/23/01 09:14 pm Inaccessible
sudoers KNOPPIX/usr/share/docs/s...3,966 09/03/03 06:33 am read only
sudoers ect/ 560 08/23/01 09:14 pm Inaccessible

I went to home and then tried to open either of the two inaccessible files and used gvim to open and at the bottom they tell me that permission denied.
I also get this error box.

Error -Konqueror

X Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory
file:/KNOPPIX/ect/ does not exist

with a floppy disk in the drive

knoppix@ttyp2[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp2[knoppix]# ls /mnt/auto/floppy
root@ttyp2[knoppix]#

I tried this

knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ ls /ect
ls: /ect: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp3[knoppix]# ls /ect
root@ttyp3[knoppix]#

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cat /ect/fstab
cat: /ect/fstab: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# cat /ect/fstab
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

with a router and cable modem connected but coax cable to ISP removed I got this output.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ping -c 5 216.239.57.99

5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

I will try it again when I re-connect to the net.

other suggestions

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ cat /ect/sudoers
cat: /ect/sudoers: No such file or directory
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# cat /ect/sudoers
cat: /ect/sudoers: No such file or directory
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

any ideas?

let me know

finder

richardheil@lycos.com

CrashedAgain
11-12-2004, 07:37 PM
I did get this output for su when I entered it into a shell..I thought I could delete ssh and see what would happen.

OK, so 'su' works and you can now become root whenever you need to.
But in Linux the command to delete a file is 'rm' (short for 'remove') not 'delete' or 'del'
And, the location of the file would be 'usr/bin/ssh' not 'KNOPPIX/usr/bin/ssh'
And, if I understand you correctly, you are running from CD so you will not be able to delete this file anyway because the CD is read only so you cannot change anything on it. You should get a 'read only file system error' if you enter the command correctly.

root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mnt fd0
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mount fd0
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

The correct command is 'mount' but you must specify '/dev/fd0' not just fd0.

I also tried this.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs status
Configured Mount Points:
------------------------

Active Mount Points:
--------------------
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs reload
Reloading automounter: checking for changes...done.
Starting automounter: /mnt/auto.

This looks OK

One thing that I felt would be a good suggestion is to get some idea of thr programming size that exists on the disk and to then have a test that runs on the installing computer to see if that is exactly the size of what was installed or if there is some other code that is present when KNOPPIX loads. Like a checksum test.

There is a checksum on the Knoppix download iso's.

Second thing is if I have bad code then where is it? I took out my hard drive and so where would it be??? I don't believe it is on the disk itself because I don't have a CD-W drive. Read only so that is out.Then we have memory. Well when you turn off your computer you supposedly flush the contents of the ram. I think that for the most part this is true. I had a hacking problem and so I turned off the computer and physically removed all the ram fully from the computer and then later replaced it again.It made no difference. Then that leaves the systemboard/motherboard as the only place the bad code could be. Now I also have a cable modem and a syslink router. Do these devices store code and what kind? Dould they or the computer BIOS store any bad code. I don't get the proper color on my screen when I check my BIOS and so I think it is hacked. Still where would it be and it is possible to reflash remotely a BIOS so possibly did this happen and what effect could it have?

This is a pretty good analysis and it leads to only one conclusion. At the present time it is highly unlikely that you are being hacked. Modem and router cannot store any code which is capable of being a trojan.
Although you may have been the victim of a hacker at one time, the only reason to suspect something wrong at present is that commands don't work as expected and we are finding that this is often due to incorrectly entered commands, I suggest you study Linux commands thoroughly to prevent errors. An excellent Linux reference book is 'Rute', which can be downloaded from http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz. You will have to put your hard drive back in though, it's too big to fit in memory & you will need some place to store it.
If you reinstall your hard drive then format it using Qtparted running from the Knoppix CD it will be free of any bugs. I suggest also that you partition it into at least two partitions, one for operating system and one for data. That is more secure, a trojan is seldom capable of finding a second partition to attack data there. Qtparted can do the partition too.

Your second post:

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ /dev/fd0
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# su
Enter new UNIX password:
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# su
Enter new UNIX password:
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

Here again you must enter 'mount /dev/fd0' not just '/dev/fd0' and you will get an error message if there is no disk in the floppy drive.

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ code
bash: code: command not found
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ sudo password knoppix
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ sudo password
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# sudo password
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# sudo password knoppix
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

The command is 'passwd' not 'password'.

with a floppy disk in the drive

knoppix@ttyp2[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp2[knoppix]# ls /mnt/auto/floppy
root@ttyp2[knoppix]#

There may be something error here, that should work with a disk in the drive.

knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ ls /ect

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cat /ect/fstab
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# cat /ect/fstab
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

The directory is '/etc' not 'ect'.

with a router and cable modem connected but coax cable to ISP removed I got this output.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ping -c 5 216.239.57.99

5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

This is as expected. You cannot ping google if you are not on line.

finder
11-12-2004, 09:22 PM
to the list;
I did get some output from

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ cat /etc/fstab
# Added by KNOPPIX
noauto,users,exec 0 0
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

I again tried the following command with a floppy in the drive.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount /dev/fd0
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

Found this on the CD under security.

SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS FOR KNOPPIX
====================================

1.) There is no automatic start of external accessible services.

2.) There are no default passwords. All accounts are locked by default.
Even local logins are not possible (unless you set a password or create
new user accounts as root).

3.) Therefore, all local interactive processes are started by init without
authorization.
Version 1.x up to and including 2.1-21-08-2001: Because there is no
valid password for "su", but still the possibility should exist to use
the system as "rescue cd", all programs (including KDE) are running
under root id.
Changed from version 2.1-24-08-2001 and up: The graphical desktop
is started with the unprivileged user id "knoppix". Programs that
only work for root are started using sudo without password. This has
the advantage of making faults caused by defective software very
unlikely, but does not enhance local security, since it is fairly
easy to switch between the "knoppix" and "root" account. The knoppix
user should never be allowed for external logins (in the case that
sshd or similar servers are being launched).

I guess there are some security issues about root? If there is no problem then why can't files/directories be found?
The various places I looked told me that root was locked or inactive so any user is root. Then how can remote sessions be stopped? How can ports and services be shut dosn? When
I attempt to execute programs they don't execute. When I attempt to use my router firewall it doesn't apply. So...

let me know

thanks again

finder

finder
11-12-2004, 10:53 PM
To the list;

This is exactly what the original post brought up.Got ony ideas?

With a floppy in the floppy drive this was the output.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mnt /dev/fd0
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mnt /dev/floppy
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount /dev/floppy
mount: can't find /dev/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount /dev/fd0
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount /dev/auto/floppy
mount: can't find /dev/auto/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mnt /dev/auto/fd0
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

thanks again

finder

finder
11-12-2004, 10:57 PM
To the list;

This is exactly what the original post brought up.Got ony ideas?

With a floppy in the floppy drive this was the output.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mnt /dev/fd0
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mnt /dev/floppy
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount /dev/floppy
mount: can't find /dev/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount /dev/auto/floppy
mount: can't find /dev/auto/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mnt /dev/auto/fd0
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

thanks again

finder

CrashedAgain
11-13-2004, 02:39 AM

That should work. So, since it appears from fstab that konoppix is finding your floppy drive, lets try without the automounter & lets specify a mount point we know exists.

First 'sudo /etc/init.d/autofs stop' to shut down the automounter.
Now check that there is a directory /mnt/test
ls /mnt
You should get a list of the subdirectories in directory /mnt and one of them should be 'test'
Now 'sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/test'
If you don't get any error message do:
ls /mnt/test
and you should get a read from your floppy.

finder
11-13-2004, 05:10 PM
To the list;
Sorry about the length of these messages but what about this information?

any ideas?

let me know

finder

This is a copy of what was in my file:/etc/security/accessconf file.
Is the lower information correct?

# Login access control table.
#
# When someone logs in, the table is scanned for the first entry that
# matches the (user, host) combination, or, in case of non-networked
# logins, the first entry that matches the (user, tty) combination. The
# permissions field of that table entry determines whether the login will
# be accepted or refused.
#
# Format of the login access control table is three fields separated by a
# ":" character:
#
# [Note, if you supply a 'fieldsep=|' argument to the pam_access.so
# module, you can change the field separation character to be
# '|'. This is useful for configurations where you are trying to use
# pam_access with X applications that provide PAM_TTY values that are
# the display variable like "host:0".]
#
# permission : users : origins
#
# The first field should be a "+" (access granted) or "-" (access denied)
# character.
#
# The second field should be a list of one or more login names, group
# names, or ALL (always matches). A pattern of the form user@host is
# matched when the login name matches the "user" part, and when the
# "host" part matches the local machine name.
#
# The third field should be a list of one or more tty names (for
# non-networked logins), host names, domain names (begin with "."), host
# addresses, internet network numbers (end with "."), ALL (always
# matches) or LOCAL (matches any string that does not contain a "."
# character).
#
# If you run NIS you can use @netgroupname in host or user patterns; this
# even works for @usergroup@@hostgroup patterns. Weird.
#
# The EXCEPT operator makes it possible to write very compact rules.
#
# The group file is searched only when a name does not match that of the
# logged-in user. Both the user's primary group is matched, as well as
# groups in which users are explicitly listed.
#
# TTY NAMES: Must be in the form returned by ttyname(3) less the initial
# "/dev/" (e.g. tty1 or vc/1)
#
################################################## ############################
#
# Disallow non-root logins on tty1
#
#-:ALL EXCEPT root:tty1
#
# Disallow console logins to all but a few accounts.
#
#-:ALL EXCEPT wheel shutdown sync:LOCAL
#
# Disallow non-local logins to privileged accounts (group wheel).
#
#-:wheel:ALL EXCEPT LOCAL .win.tue.nl
#
# Some accounts are not allowed to login from anywhere:
#
#-:wsbscaro wsbsecr wsbspac wsbsym wscosor wstaiwde:ALL
#
# All other accounts are allowed to login from anywhere.
#

This was found at the end of the /etc/services/groups conf file.
Is is possible that the mnt/dev/fd0 could have been placed into a group and made off-limits
to the users? Is it possible to make these changes remotely in Knoppix when you can't have a
secure root or ssh or telnet services can be opened and run remotely?

#

#
# Here is a simple example: running 'xsh' on tty* (any ttyXXX device),
# the user 'us' is given access to the floppy (through membership of
# the floppy group)
#

#xsh;tty*&!ttyp*;us;Al0000-2400;floppy
# another example: running 'xsh' on tty* (any ttyXXX device),
# the user 'sword' is given access to games (through membership of
# the sound and play group) after work hours. (The games group owns
# high-score files and so on, so don't ever give users access to it.)
#

#xsh; tty* ;sword;!Wk0900-1800;sound, play
#xsh; tty* ;*;Al0900-1800;floppy

#
# End of group.conf file
#

This was from the end of the /etc/services/time file.
This is telling me that a time lock out can occur from root via a ssh or
telnet connection. How can this be prevented?

#
# Here is a simple example: running blank on tty* (any ttyXXX device),
# the users 'you' and 'me' are denied service all of the time
#

#blank;tty* & !ttyp*;you|me;!Al0000-2400

# Another silly example, user 'root' is denied xsh access
# from pseudo terminals at the weekend and on mondays.

#xsh;ttyp*;root;!WdMo0000-2400

#
# End of example file.

This was the only line in my /etc/services/fileshare.conf file

RESTRICT=no

finder
11-13-2004, 05:39 PM
To the list;

This is what I got when I tried your suggestion.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo /etc/init.d/autofs stop
Stopping automounter: done.
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt
auto cdrom floppy hd test
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/test
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/hd test
ls: test: No such file or directory
/mnt/hd:
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/test
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/fd0
ls: /mnt/fd0: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/dev/fd0
ls: /mnt/dev/fd0: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/dev/floppy
ls: /mnt/dev/floppy: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/floppy
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mnt /dev/fd0
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

When I put in the last command my fd0 light lit for a few moments.

any ideas?

finder

OErjan
11-13-2004, 06:48 PM
try

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

CrashedAgain
11-13-2004, 10:19 PM
finder: you tried almost every possible combination of commands except the one I suggested:
'sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/test'

AS for the possibility that some hacker is adjusting your /dev/fd0 permissions, I don't think it is possible.
But, just to be certain, read this message, copy down the commands you are going to try then shutdown your computer. Since you have no HD, there is no way a trojan con be stored on your system either on your HD or on your read only CD. So, disconnect your internet, then restart your computer. You are now guaranteed to be trojan-free so try to access your disk drive.

try

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

I don't think there is a '/floppy' directory on the CD, there is just a /mnt/floppy. But for certain there is a /mnt/test.

finder
11-13-2004, 11:22 PM
To the list;

This was the output from your suggestion.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/test
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

I very frequently reboot the machine and I cut the current/power to the machine but somehow this doesn't keep the hacker out. I somehow think that in the cron files is the ability to send a fax with a ip and with that the hacker knows where to go. The confusing part is that you do not start over anew when you reboot. There is files that remain altered. Somehow things don't function properrly and security is all disabled.
My nessus log has nothing in it for Novenmber. It never reports anything. I go to Control Center/system administration/Linux Kernel and get the following error message.

Sorry

The kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error:
cannot open /usr/src/linux/arch//config.in for reading.
Either your kernel sources contain invalid configuration rules or you just found a bug in the KDE Kernel Configurator.

any ideas?

finder

finder
11-13-2004, 11:27 PM
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
mount: only root can do that
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
mount: mount point /mnt/floppy is a symbolic link to nowhere
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

any ideas?

finder

CrashedAgain
11-14-2004, 03:46 AM
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
mount: mount point /mnt/floppy is a symbolic link to nowhere
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

any ideas?

finder
/mnt/floppy is probably a link to /mnt/auto/floppy which doesn't exist since it is created by the automounter
try mounting on a mount point (directory) known to exist.
if you are root:
mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/test
or if you are not root:
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/test

finder
11-15-2004, 03:29 AM
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/test
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
or too many mounted file systems
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/test
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

CrashedAgain
11-15-2004, 04:17 AM
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/test
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/test
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

OK, now it is at least trying to read the disk but it is not happy with the disk fromat. At least that means the floppy drive is probably OK. Is the disk OK? Can you read this disk on another computer? Is it a DOS or Windows format disk (ie: file system type 'vfat')?

the '-t vfat ' option is where it specifies the file system type. Try letting it determine the filesystem type auotmatically:

sudo mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /mnt/test

finder
11-15-2004, 01:29 PM
To the list;

This is the output. the disk is fine. The little light goes on when I fiirst make the command.
Then it goes out.
Did you see the Sorry message that I get when I want to read my kernel? What is that about?

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /mnt/test
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

finder
11-15-2004, 04:07 PM
To the list;
I tried this suggestion. Again the floppy light went on briefly and then it went out.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/point
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/point
mount: mount point /mnt/point does not exist
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

any ideas?

finder

finder
11-15-2004, 04:30 PM
To the list;
I pulled this from a reply posted on a web site. It was for a CD mounting problem. I do not know how to get this kind of output. Can someone describe how to use the grep command. Can this reply be adapted to the mnt/floppy situation?
Would lilo conf.play a role in this?

any ideas?

finder

Ok, I have just put on a knoppix 3.4 hd install, with kde 3.2.2 and the 2.6.5 kernel. My prob is as such. Neither of my cd drives are accessible, when I try to open my dvd drive, I get the following msg:

"mount: special device /dev/dvd does not exist"

and when I try to open my burner, I get this msg:

unable to run the command specified. the file or folder file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist

Apparently it is something to do with the 2.6.5 kernels scsi/ide support, so here is the output of the grep |cd command:

ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as device
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
ohci_hcd: 2004 Feb 02 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)
ohci_hcd: block sizes: ed 64 td 64
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: irq 20, pci mem e1816000
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.1: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (#2)
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.1: irq 22, pci mem e1818000
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: irq 21, pci mem e194b000
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Dec-29

And here is my relevant lilo conf section:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5
label="Linux(2.6)-2"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.5
append="ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce "
read-only

Is there anything here that needs to be changed? Please help, as this new setup is wonderful in every way but that, and at this stage in my linuxing carrer, this prob is a little beyond me....Strangely, k3b still shows both drives in its dialog window?! It shows the device nodes in k3b setup as /dev/scd0 for the burner, and /dev/scd1 for the dvd.

Also- I am running an asus a7n8x-deluxe mobo
athlon xp 2400+
burner-aopen cd-rw crw 4852
dvd-samsung jlms xj-hd166s

champagnemojo
11-15-2004, 05:08 PM
You have to mount to existing mount points. In other words, if /mnt/cdrom doesn't exist and that's what you wanna use, you have to make a cdrom directory under /mnt. But you should already have a /cdrom directory under the root directory. And if your drives are scsi, try replacing /dev/fd0 with /dev/sda for the floppy and use scd0 and scd1 for your cd-roms.

The linux kernel config thing under KDE's control center doesn't work for anybody...so no worries.

finder
11-15-2004, 05:30 PM
To the list;
This is more output from usggestions for floppy mounting problem.

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ dmesg |grep fd
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfdb01, last bus=1
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ /etc/fstab
bash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# /etc/fstab
bash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ /etc/fstab: filesystem table
bash: /etc/fstab:: No such file or directory
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mkdir /mnt/floppy
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/floppy': File exists
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# exit
exit
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

root@ttyp0[knoppix]# kedit /etc/fstab
Creating link /root/.kde/socket-Knoppix.
Created link from "/root/.kde/socket-Knoppix" to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
iceauth: creating new authority file /root/.ICEauthority
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
Creating link /root/.kde/tmp-Knoppix.
Created link from "/root/.kde/tmp-Knoppix" to "/tmp/kde-root"
kbuildsycoca running...
File dummy, id favicons.upd:kde3
File kdeglobals, id kaccel.upd:kde3.1/r3
File kcmdisplayrc, id kcmdisplayrc.upd:kde3
File kcookiejarrc, id kcookiescfg.upd:kde2.2/b1
File kcookiejarrc, id kcookiescfg.upd:kde3.1/cvs
File kdeglobals, id kded.upd:kde3.0
File kdeprintrc, id kdeprintrc.upd:kde-3.1-toolbar
File kdeveloprc, id kdevelop2.upd:kde2.2
File kickerrc, id kickerrc.upd:kde_3_1_sizeChanges
File kio_httprc, id kioslave.upd:kde2.2/r1
File kioslaverc, id kioslave.upd:kde2.2/r1
File kio_httprc, id kioslave.upd:kde2.2/r2
File kioslaverc, id kioslave.upd:kde2.2/r3
File klipperrc, id klipperrc.upd:25082001
File klipperrc, id klipperrc.upd:kde3.1
File kdeglobals, id klippershortcuts.upd:04112002
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:1
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:4
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:5
File kpgprc, id kmail.upd:5
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:6
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:7
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:8
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:9
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:3.1-update-identities
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:3.1-use-identity-uoids
File kmail.eventsrc, id kmail.upd:3.1-new-mail-notification
File kmailrc, id kmail.upd:3.1.4-dont-use-UOID-0-for-any-identity
File konsolerc, id konsole.upd:kde2.2/r1
File konsolerc, id konsole.upd:kde3.0/r1
File kpgprc, id kpgp.upd:preKDE3_a
File kpgprc, id kpgp.upd:3.1-1
File ksmserverrc, id ksmserver.upd:kde3
File kwinrc, id kwin.upd:kde3.0r1
File kdeglobals, id socks.upd:kde3.0/r1
Running script 'move_favicons.sh'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateNT9Ykc.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateAfmCIa
.tmp
Running script 'convertShortcuts.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatecNjIVa.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_update0BK0Lb
.tmp
Write ViewMenuBar -> false
Remove Key 'General'/'ViewToolBar'
Running script 'kicker-3.1-properSizeSetting.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateOCBiNb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateAteEQb
.tmp
Running script 'useragent.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateE2VWtb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatelq5Yja
.tmp
Running script 'proxytype.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateA2zW3b.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateIpUrQb
.tmp
Running script 'klipper-1-2.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_update8PY2oa.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateydDUsb
.tmp
Running script 'klipper-kde31.sh'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateiu4nqa.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_update4ORpbc
.tmp
Write AutoStart -> true
Running script 'upgrade-transport.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatem94njb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateLUrnWa
.tmp
Running script 'kmail-pgpidentity.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updater4YMcb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatesMD0Lb
.tmp
Running script 'upgrade-signature.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateyZjIxa.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateE6o2Sa
.tmp
Running script 'kmail-upd-identities.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateqM4gxb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_update3MUhab
.tmp
Running script 'kmail-3.1-use-UOID-for-identities.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateUgmvTb.tmp
Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /KNOPPIX/usr/share/apps/kconf_upda
te/kmail-3.1-use-UOID-for-identities.pl line 45.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /KNOPPIX/usr/share/
apps/kconf_update/kmail-3.1-use-UOID-for-identities.pl line 45.
Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /KNOPPIX/usr/share/apps/kconf_upda
te/kmail-3.1-use-UOID-for-identities.pl line 49.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /KNOPPIX/usr/share/
apps/kconf_update/kmail-3.1-use-UOID-for-identities.pl line 49.
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateWrqOma
.tmp
Write previous-identity -> <empty>
Write Default Identity -> <empty>
Running script 'kmail-3.1-update-new-mail-notification-settings.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatenBFzJb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_update9eK0yb
.tmp
Running script 'kmail-3.1.4-dont-use-UOID-0-for-any-identity.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatebqFXBb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_update3F4iFb .tmp
Running script 'schemaStrip.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatep8SECb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_update6zOMQb .tmp
Write IconText -> IconTextRight
Write Position -> Bottom
Running script 'kpgp-3.1-upgrade-address-data.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateswGjKb.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updatejam8hc .tmp
Write addressEntries -> 0
Running script 'move_session_config.sh'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateYUs12b.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateZvIzlc .tmp
Running script 'pluginlibFix.pl'
Script: Writing entries to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateYySLdc.tmp
Script: Filtered entries written to /ramdisk/var/tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateGC4qma .tmp
kbuildsycoca running...

I found this suggestion and tried it, but,,,

Right click on the icon for the floppy select delete then right click on the desktop and choose create new then floppy device. In the device tab of the dialog that comes up select the /dev/fd0 from the menu list name it what you want and save the shortcut and you should be able to access the floppy with the icon

knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ /dev/fd0
root@ttyp3[knoppix]# /dev/fd0
root@ttyp3[knoppix]#

NOTE: I was able to delete the icon and I created a new one but how do I find the device tab?

Tried this as well.

knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ /etc/modules
bash: /etc/modules: Permission denied
root@ttyp3[knoppix]# /etc/modules
bash: /etc/modules: Permission denied
root@ttyp3[knoppix]#

any ideas?

finder

finder
11-15-2004, 09:09 PM
To the list;
I see things in the posts about this and that extra things on the Knoppix CD. I don't know how to exactly explain this but there are things that are not showing up on these disks that I am using. When I start Knoppix 3.3 I get this file, file:/cdrom/index.html . There is a black background with a silver stripe across the middle horizontally. There are four tabs on this silver stripe. They are Knoppix info ( red ), talks ( yellow ), open music ( blue ), and links ( silver ). Is this the same on all of the CD's or is there something missing here?

Knoppix info only has the one sheet
Knoppix talks has four pdf documents two on free software and two on vortra
Knoppix open music has green_openmu...,a read me txt and opensource.ogg
Knoppix links has four links KNOPPIX Homepage, KNOPPIX Contrib Homepage, KNOPPIX Wallpaper Central and LinuxTag.Org Homepage.

Am I missing anything from the 3.3 version? Is there other places they put these extra things/files/apps? I read the following statement and could not find the file.

On the CD, in the "Knoppix" folder, there is a program called rawrite2 that will make a boot floppy for Knoppix. The disk image is "boot.img" - it's in the same Knoppix folder. Type boot.img when it asks, follow the directions, and you're set. (Of course, make sure it's a blank floppy you're using.)

curious about this

finder