PDA

View Full Version : HOW-TO: get read/write access to HD?

kevingpo
11-09-2004, 05:21 PM
One question. How can I setup within Knoppix to read/write to my HD devices? I right-click on my HD and selected "change to read/write". But this doesn't seem to work or do anything. I still only get read-only access to my HDs.

Cheers
Kevin

abd_bela
11-09-2004, 05:41 PM
as a root you mount the HD.
look in the /etc/fstab, normally knoppix creates /mnt/hdX as a mount point for /dev/hdX
put as default the mount like this

/dev/hda5 /home ext3 defaults 0 0

you can use now
mount /home for example
best regards

CrashedAgain
11-09-2004, 06:22 PM
If your desktop HD icons are not working you can mount the drive manually.
'sudo mount -rw /dev/hdaX' should mount /dev/hdaX to the default location as specified in /etc/fstab. Usually this will be /mnt/hdaX but you can mount it elsewhere with 'sudo mount/-rw /dev/hdaX /home/knoppix/hdaX' for example. You will have to mkdir /home/knoppix/hdaX first.

kevingpo
11-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Thanks you guys. This is very useful.

dreadthenight
11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
If your desktop HD icons are not working you can mount the drive manually.
'sudo mount -rw /dev/hdaX' should mount /dev/hdaX to the default location as specified in /etc/fstab. Usually this will be /mnt/hdaX but you can mount it elsewhere with 'sudo mount/-rw /dev/hdaX /home/knoppix/hdaX' for example. You will have to mkdir /home/knoppix/hdaX first.

Hello,

I'm trying to get write access to an empty EXT2 formatted drive. The icon for the drive comes up on the desktop as I would expect. I removed the "Read Only" check in the properties for the drive and gave Owner, Group, and Other "Can Read & Write" access. When I try to drag anything to the root of that drive though, I get a "You cannot drag items into a directory that you do not have write permission" message.

I tried from terminal doing "umount /mnt/hdd1" and then "sudo mount /mnt/hdd1" and that didn't fix anything. There must be a straightforward way to write to a hard drive? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I ran "sudo mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hdd1" from the terminal and still could not write anything to the drive. I then tried a "mkdir test" from the terminal and got rejected. Finally, I did a "sudo mkdir test" and that worked! So apparently I have to run every write operation as root? Is there a way to become root in the GUI so I don't have to perform write operations from the terminal?

Thanks!