PDA

View Full Version : Problem with booting and running knoppix

Peur2Rien
11-10-2004, 06:42 PM
hello everybody
i've read the FAQ for sure , but i didnt find an answer to my problem .
when i boot the cd , everythin is alright ,then i write KNOPPIX , and i got this error: YOU PASSED AN INDEFINED MODE NUMBER , PRESS enter TO SEE VIDEO MODE AVAILABLE , press SPACE TO continue ,
then , when i press space , knoppix stop in x-server scan , and i dont see any interface , it became blocked, i tried so many cheatcodes to resolve this problem (ii think from the graphic card ) but they dont work, but the failsafe mode works instead , but i cant work on it :(, plz help me
thanks

CrashedAgain
11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
hello everybody
i've read the FAQ for sure , but i didnt find an answer to my problem .
when i boot the cd , everythin is alright ,then i write KNOPPIX , and i got this error: YOU PASSED AN INDEFINED MODE NUMBER , PRESS enter TO SEE VIDEO MODE AVAILABLE , press SPACE TO continue ,
then , when i press space , knoppix stop in x-server scan , and i dont see any interface , it became blocked, i tried so many cheatcodes to resolve this problem (ii think from the graphic card ) but they dont work, but the failsafe mode works instead , but i cant work on it :(, plz help me
thanks

What video card do you have.
The 'undefined mode' error is because knoppix is set to default vga=791, booting vga=normal cures it .
But it sounds like it is not setting up for your video card. Try booting xmodule=<whatever your card is>.

Harry Kuhman
11-10-2004, 09:01 PM
The 'undefined mode' error is because knoppix is set to default vga=791, booting vga=normal cures it .....
Let me show my ignornance here. What is 791? Should that number have some meaning to me, or to most people? And why would the default start-up mode of a general live distribution CD not be "normal"?

Peur2Rien
11-10-2004, 09:11 PM
thanks for replying me
i have INTEL 810e chipset graphic card
what i have to do to solve my problem ? what cheatcode i have to write please , and how do i know my video card mode ?
THANKS

mzilikazi
11-10-2004, 09:19 PM
The 'undefined mode' error is because knoppix is set to default vga=791, booting vga=normal cures it .....
Let me show my ignornance here. What is 791? Should that number have some meaning to me, or to most people? And why would the default start-up mode of a general live distribution CD not be "normal"?

In laymans terms, vga=791 is the frambuffer device. You get the nice looking small text that way. vga=normal gives you the big ugly text. :)

Peur2Rien
11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
yes u are right ,
can someone help me out
i've tried vga=normal , but without result
im veryyyyyy angry héhé lol
thanks brothers

Peur2Rien
11-10-2004, 09:54 PM
helpppppp me pleaaaase
!!

mzilikazi
11-10-2004, 10:53 PM
thanks for replying me
i have INTEL 810e chipset graphic card
what i have to do to solve my problem ? what cheatcode i have to write please , and how do i know my video card mode ?
THANKS

Try:

xmodule=fbdev

Peur2Rien
11-10-2004, 11:32 PM
yeah brother thanks for help but i've tried
knoppix xmodule=fbdev and i got the same error , then i didn't see the desktop ,
what i think , is that there is device wich dont allow knoppix to run normaly ? am i right ? coz i've tried so many cheatcodes and i got my box blocked in dos window, and the keyboard is not working too
regards

CrashedAgain
11-11-2004, 05:10 AM
Have you tried booting 'knoppix vga=normal xmodule=i810' ? I also have an i810 video card but have not had any problem.

Markus
11-11-2004, 09:48 AM
At least my i810 can't do any framebuffering so what I use is: knoppix vga=normal screen=1280x1024

Peur2Rien
11-11-2004, 01:45 PM
yes brother i will try that when i go to home
if u dont have that problem with ur graphic card that means i
have something wich block knoppix to run !!!!!
but i can know what ....! can some one give me advice
thanks
regards

Peur2Rien
11-11-2004, 06:18 PM
THANKS buddy for help ,
i tried that cheatcode , i got the same problem , he got blocked,
exactly,when he tell me scan harddisk ........... done , it stops , and it didnt run xserver , and i dont see KDE desktop
whats the matter ??

Markus
11-11-2004, 07:17 PM
It stopped after scanning for hd's? Then try some of the no- options like nodma noscsi noapic as well as the ones for i810. What exactly is the last thing you see?

Peur2Rien
11-11-2004, 07:46 PM
yes brother
the last thing i always see, in all the cases , is :
scanning for harddisks ...etc.......... Done
and then the PC is blocked , i cant reboot with keyborad , evrything is blocked , and the cdrom is stoped too , dont turn anymore .
so what is the problem with my box ?
the failsafe mode works instead easily

Markus
11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
so what is the problem with my box ? A bit hard to say unless you can post specific errors. If failsafe works it's surely just about finding the right cheatcodes. You need to do some experimenting with them until you find a set that works. Unfortunately the Docs page seems to be down right now but I would start with:
knoppix vga=normal lang=us screen=800x600 nousb noapic noacpi noscsi nodma

Peur2Rien
11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
so i have to try the cheatcode that u wrote right now ?
i will run knoppix now , and tell you exactly when its stops , but the error that i got everytime , is Undefined mode number , press space to continue , but i dont think that is the problem , im sure that there is a device wich dont allow knoppix to run.
regards

Markus
11-11-2004, 08:48 PM
so i have to try the cheatcode that u wrote right now ? Well, we can't help much unless you try something and post back what you tried and where it failed.

im sure that there is a device wich dont allow knoppix to run. Probably so. Do you have any strange hardware like SATA RAID? You might just want to disconnect the HD's to see if they are problematic.

Peur2Rien
11-11-2004, 10:08 PM
hello Markus ,
i finally find the problem ,
i disconected my HD and then knoppix continue its scanning , lol but when he finish i see a black screen , it doesnt find x server i think in my card , and i wrote fb1024x768 , and when he finish scan it told me No suitable x-server found on ur card , then i wrote knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 , then everything is alright , i see KDE desktop , very nice , so its the harddisk wich causes the problem , but im still getting this error, U passed undefined mode number ......., anyway
why my hd cause those problem ? is there any solution?

Markus
11-11-2004, 10:18 PM
hello Markus ,
i finally find the problem ,
i disconected my HD and then knoppix continue its scanning , lol but when he finish i see a black screen , it doesnt find x server i think in my card , and i wrote fb1024x768 , and when he finish scan it told me No suitable x-server found on ur card , then i wrote knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 , then everything is alright , i see KDE desktop , very nice , so its the harddisk wich causes the problem , but im still getting this error, U passed undefined mode number Well add the vga part: knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 vga=normal

why my hd cause those problem ? is there any solution? I don't know much about hd problems but what kind of hd is it? Type, make, model?
And what kind of controller do you have for it?

Peur2Rien
11-11-2004, 10:34 PM
thanks buddy
i have 2 Boxs , one laptop MAC and one simple computer , with hard disk segate ,capacity of 6 gega ,its the master, poor hd héhé ;) , i dont know why he block knoppix ? and its is a FAT32 format.
what do u think Markus ?

Markus
11-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Don't know about MACs either sorry to say, but what about the PCs hd controller? Can you post the output of lspci -v or do you know the make/model? Onboard, then which board? BTW, what the model on the Seagate? If you need to save the output of the command to a file you can do lspci -v > filename .

Peur2Rien
11-11-2004, 11:28 PM
i can give u any information u want about my computer ,
i have intel motherboard
i have intel 810e chipset graphic .....
where i have to write this command brother ?
what this command do ?
thx buddy

Markus
11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
What's the model of the motherboard?
Also while you have the box open, what's the model of the seagate? It should be on a sticker on the disk.

You type the command in a terminal aka console, monitor icon on the kicker (taskbar).

Peur2Rien
11-12-2004, 12:55 AM
hello markus , i was on knoppix
so when i connect back the HD , i run knoppix and then it s blocked at this line
scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstatb ... done
and then all is blocked , keyboard too
where can i get my mother bord model ? all i know is intel ;)
this will help u ? and for the model OF HD , is that will help un too ?