PDA

View Full Version : Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD

Tito
11-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Hello people:
I am new to Linux. I posted the message "Saving a large container from a crashed WinXP to external HD". My problem was that the external HD connected thru the USB port was NTFS and i could not make Captive NTFS accept the container. I changed the filesystem in the external HD using QTParted to FAT32. Then i susccessfully copied one 250 mb container simply using the right-click copy and paste. However, when i try the same strategy with the large 4 GB container the process starts fine but then at about 2 GB the writing onto the external HD is stopped and i receive a message like "Process died unexpectedly" (it happened twice) I thought i could split and rejoin the 4 GB container using the split and cat commands but i do not have enough disk space in the local partition (hda1). I do have space in the external HD (sda1 partition) so my question is if there is any simple modification of the split command

split -b 1000m filename filename

to put the split pieces into sda1 rather than hda1. I also want to join the pieces in the sda1 partition before connecting the external HD to another computer that will receive the container.

cat filenamead >> filenameaa

So how do i identify the sda1 partition in the cat command?
Thanks for your help.
Tito

firebyrd10
11-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Hello people:
I am new to Linux. I posted the message "Saving a large container from a crashed WinXP to external HD". My problem was that the external HD connected thru the USB port was NTFS and i could not make Captive NTFS accept the container. I changed the filesystem in the external HD using QTParted to FAT32. Then i susccessfully copied one 250 mb container simply using the right-click copy and paste. However, when i try the same strategy with the large 4 GB container the process starts fine but then at about 2 GB the writing onto the external HD is stopped and i receive a message like "Process died unexpectedly" (it happened twice) I thought i could split and rejoin the 4 GB container using the split and cat commands but i do not have enough disk space in the local partition (hda1). I do have space in the external HD (sda1 partition) so my question is if there is any simple modification of the split command

to put the split pieces into sda1 rather than hda1. I also want to join the pieces in the sda1 partition before connecting the external HD to another computer that will receive the container.

Thanks for your help.
Tito

With split, split -b 1000m filename /mnt/sda1/filename

basicly the same for cat.

Tito
11-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Hello people:
[snip] I do have space in the external HD (sda1 partition) so my question is if there is any simple modification of the split command

Thanks for your help.
Tito

basicly the same for cat.

Thanks. In the external HD i have a little less than 8 GB so to rejoin
the parts into the whole container, which is 4GB, i need to delete the parts as they are being assembled. How do i modify the cat command to do just that?
Tito
rcook
11-11-2004, 05:16 PM
I am not absolutely certain, but my recollection is there is a 2GB max on fat32 file sizes. You won't be able to cat the pieces together except on a ext2 or a NTFS drive. I went a few rounds with this issue a year or two ago and ended up with the large file on an ext2 file and a driver to mount the ext2 file in Win2K. I was trying to get a large drive image burned to a DVD.

Tito
11-11-2004, 05:38 PM
I am not absolutely certain, but my recollection is there is a 2GB max on fat32 file sizes. You won't be able to cat the pieces together except on a ext2 or a NTFS drive. I went a few rounds with this issue a year or two ago and ended up with the large file on an ext2 file and a driver to mount the ext2 file in Win2K. I was trying to get a large drive image burned to a DVD.

You seem to be correct sir. I made a little research and also read messages in LinuxQuestions.org and apparently there is a 2GB limit in FAT32 (though there seems to be a patch).
Apart from the road you took, maybe i can copy the parts into WinXP and then re-assemble them using some MS-DOS command?
Tito

Tito
11-11-2004, 07:35 PM
[snip]

Thanks for your help.
Tito[/quote]

basicly the same for cat.[/quote]

In the Root Shell i wrote:

split -b 1000m mnt/hda1/filename.xxx /mnt/sda1/filename

and the system responded

split: mnt/hda1/filename.xxx: No such file or directory

However, i know it is there, i can see it with Konqueror. What could
be wrong with my command?
Cheers
Tito

rcook
11-11-2004, 09:53 PM
use the command line copy command. I think

c:\> copy /b part1+ /b part2 joinedFile

Check with the help to see proper/correct syntax.

copy /?

Tito
11-11-2004, 10:34 PM
use the command line copy command. I think

c:\> copy /b part1+ /b part2 joinedFile

Check with the help to see proper/correct syntax.

copy /?

Thanks. In fact the split command did work so please disregard my previous post. I moved the parts from the external FAT32 HD into a working WinXP machine and joined them with
copy \b partaa+partab+...+partae joined.xxx
Now i have to open the container to see that everything is fine inside.
It looks like i have completed my rescue mission.
Thanks to Koppix and to you guys!

Next mission: To reinstall WinXP in the Compaq machine and also Knoppix-Debian to have a dual boot system!

Tito

firebyrd10
11-12-2004, 02:51 AM
There is a 2gb limit on Fat32 with knoppix, though my winxp can go up to 4gb.

rcook
11-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Don't keep us in suspense. Did it work?

Tito
11-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Don't keep us in suspense. Did it work?

The 4GB container was an encrypted container made with Bestcrypt 7.07.
It was about 3/4 full. In the working WinXP machine i rejoined the parts
and then the container was successfully mounted with Bestcrypt and the information inside was complete and intact.
Now i have re-installed WinXP in the Compaq Presario and am moving the files back. On sunday i will attempt the installation of Knoppix (=Debian) on the HD of the recovered machine. Then i may get back to you guys.
Thank you.
Tito

rcook
11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Great ! ! ! :D