PDA

View Full Version : I have an Spyc@m 100, how do I make it work? I need it. ^_^

Dan_Netwalker
03-28-2003, 06:53 PM
This is a question not only for the knoppix but for my non-portable debian 2.0 system installed in my home pc. When I plug the thing it shows in the first TTY (Ctrl-Alt-F1) that the camera is detected and something about listening as /dev/video0 , then I go tho gnomemeeting, I configure it and give it a try, but the camera isn't working. I think that's because of the camera isn't completelly configured or something like that, because all the kernell modules needed are loaded (I hope didn't miss anyone).

Anyone knows how to make it work, so I can *finally* forget about Win2K except for VB programming and some games? (the Riva tnt2 isn't working in accelerated mode, but thats something I want to try and fix myself... ^_^)

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 08:10 PM
It would seem that you have chosen a very challenging endeavor. There doesn't seem to be alot of info about this camera working with Linux but I have posted all I could find. I don't know the first thing about a Trust Spyc@m but it might be interesting to learn. I have seen that some Trust cameras use these drivers:

spca504_flash
stv0680

Which ones have you installed?
Have you tried the USB mass storage driver?

Here are a few links:
http://webcam.sourceforge.net/
http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

I don't know but you may have seen all of this already. Perhaps searching by the chipset and/or vendor & product I.D. would be beneficial.

gluck

Dan_Netwalker
03-31-2003, 10:54 AM
I have seen that some Trust cameras use these drivers:

spca504_flash
stv0680

Which ones have you installed?
Have you tried the USB mass storage driver?
As if it where a USB drive?? Then no, I allready tryed even saying "mount -t auto"... and it didn't worked. Maybe I'm overlooking something...

The driver is the stv0680. I managed to get video from the camera (cough 3 fps cough) in quite good color (slightly black&white effect in the debian woody, nearly perfect in the knoppix).

The problem is to get the photos from the camera. I'm not usig it as my main photo camera (my minolta is still best than any digital camera I can afford), but for small detail photos when I don't want to waste a shoot the digital camera it's my first choice.

I **really** want to be able to pick the photos from the camera in Linux. What program should I use? Do I need any other kernel module for it? Any change on /etc needed?

rickenbacherus
03-31-2003, 01:50 PM
Linux doesn't care what the device actually is- it just sees something that holds alot of data and the mass-storage driver is how it gets it. I mount my digital still camera, copy the files to wherever and then use something like gphoto to view them. This way my camera is only on for a little while- as long as it takes to copy the files. You could go to www.debian.org and have a look at what they have for viewers if you don't like/can't use gphoto.