PDA

View Full Version : Installing KDE 3.2.3 THEMES!!!

mimes
11-11-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm getting pretty tired of the standard themes that come with the preloaded version of KDE 3.2.3 on Knoppix. I went to www.kde-look.org and found some great themes that would look great on my desktop, but I download the files and nothing happens!! I am an extreme newbie and think that I have to compile these files, but I dont know even how to do that!! Could someone help me step-by-step or refer me to a help source?

CrashedAgain
11-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Each posting on kde-look has a 'how to install' beside it. It's pretty brief by try to work though it.
If you run into problems, post again with the specific problem.

mimes
11-13-2004, 04:15 AM
Here's the deal ( and please pardon my ignorance), I know now that KDE 3.2 does NOT come with a theme manager. I know the only way to change my desktop is to go to the Window Decorations section of KDE- LOOK.org and choose the Window Decorations for any KDE that is or above Kde 3.2. I download the .rpm file and convert it to .deb using the "alien" program. i've done all this. I have found a really slick window decoration that I want to use, but I also know that i have to use a program called K Package. When I load the .deb file into KPackage and try to install it, KPackage gives me an error saying: <ix/Downloaded Stuff/crystal_0.7.7-2_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
RESULT=2
- I have no clue what this error means or how to fix it. I know that my HD is readable and writable, so I am a bit stuck at this point. Anyone who could help would be GREATLY appreciated.

CrashedAgain
11-13-2004, 05:33 AM
..... that i have to use a program called K Package. When I load the .deb file into KPackage and try to install it, KPackage gives me an error saying: <ix/Downloaded Stuff/crystal_0.7.7-2_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
RESULT=2
- I have no clue what this error means or how to fix it. I know that my HD is readable and writable, so I am a bit stuck at this point. Anyone who could help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Have you installed Knoppix to your HD? If you are running from CD you will be unable to install anything because the operating system is on the read only CD.
Exception: If you have done a 'persistent home' on your hard drive, you can install any packages which are available from 'klik'.

probono
11-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately, KDE Themes are not klik-able.
probono

rrfish72
11-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Check this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13888&highlight=

I got themes to install by following this. Hope this helps.

mimes
11-14-2004, 03:16 AM
I now see that my option is an HD install, but when I run the installer, I get as far as the partitioning phase, then it says something like the drive is read only, cannot figure size of drive. MY DRIVE IS READABLE AND WRITABLE!!!!!!!! WHY????!!!!!! :roll: