PDA

View Full Version : Burn CD from downloaded files

Jens-FIN
11-11-2004, 09:44 PM
I have downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN, and now I want to burn it on CD. Which files shall I include and must I unzip anything.
I have the following files:
KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5.asc
KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5
KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN (which is a zip file)

Markus
11-11-2004, 09:52 PM
It's not a zip file, it's an iso image and should be named KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso and have a filesize of 716308 KB. If Windows automagically named it .zip, rename to .iso and burn as an image:
http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm#Nero%20Burning%20ROM
If you want to verify the download use the md5sum: http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

Harry Kuhman
11-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Unzip it. I had not seen people offering it as a zip, but you need an ISO file.

Check the MD5 sum against either of the other 2 files (will likely be right if it unzips OK, but check it).

Do not just burn the iso to CD. You need to use an option in your burning software that knows how to burn from an iso. You didn't say what you are using, but in Nero it's under the File menu, something like "Burn from Image". Post your burning software and ask if you are not sure.

At least for your first burn, burn at low speed. Too many people recently have been posting asking why they can't get Knoppix working and then post back later that they just had a bad burn. I suggest 4x for a first burn. If you want to burn at 52x later once you know how to do this, that's your choice.

The resulting disk should have a number of files on it (not one ISO file) as seen from Windows, and should even start up a Windows browser and load a webpage from CD if inserted in a Windows system (assuming you have windows starting a CD enabled). If you can't see the files it ain't gonna boot.

You may find that you need some cheat codes when you boot. If it hangs without any try knoppix noscsi acpi=off or try knoppix nodma .

Jens-FIN
11-11-2004, 10:01 PM
Ok, but shall I do something with the other files:
which are about 1kB

Harry Kuhman
11-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Ok, but shall I do something with the other files:
which are about 1kB
Both of those files contain a string that is an MD5 checksum. It is used with any of several MD5 utilities to confirm that the iso file is good. I urge you to find a utility (start at Google, I don't have a link for you off hand). And confirm that the iso file is good. I've downloaded many many files from the web, and I never have corruption problems with anything else, but a number of the Knoppix ISO files I have downloaded are indeed corrupt (the servers are set up in such a way that the binary files are being treated like ascii and a new line to CR/LF translation is happening). I likely have had less than 50% sucess getting a good iso, and I wasted a lot of time and CD's when I first started, so check that md5 checksum and be sure it matches.

Jens-FIN
11-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Ok Harry, I'll give it a try, thanx

mzilikazi
11-12-2004, 12:09 AM
It's not a zip file, it's an iso image and should be named KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso and have a filesize of 716308 KB. If Windows automagically named it .zip,

Windows renames .iso files to .zip? WTF? Is windows really that stupid?

Harry Kuhman
11-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Windows renames .iso files to .zip? WTF? Is windows really that stupid?
Windows does not rename iso files.

In some cases Windows hides the extension name, but only if it knows how to deal with that extension. Still, it's a very good idea to turn off that "feature", fortunately, this is simple to do.

Markus seems to think that Jens-FIN is wrong about the extension. Maybe Markus is right; I've not seen a site that offers the ISO within a zip. Maybe Jens-FIN is right, as he didn't say where he got the file and maybe it really is an iso inside a zip. Neither case supports your wild Windows renames .iso files to .zip statement or your cheap snipe at Windows. Windows has enough real faults, they shouldn't be obscured by childish insults and name calling.

mzilikazi
11-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Windows has enough real faults, they shouldn't be obscured by childish insults and name calling.

OK who let Bill Gates sign up on the Knoppix forum? :P

OErjan
11-12-2004, 04:32 PM
i have had that problem when helping friends download Knoppix, botn to XP and WIN2K.
as far as i know it is WINRAR and/or one other utility (canot remember name), that "kidnaps" th *.ISO files and tries to unzipthem, anoyinbg as &(/&().

Markus
11-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Well, as Örjan said it usually seems to be winrar upon installing taking over the fileassociation for isos, wasn't sure about renaming to zip, probably you can set the preferred extension within winrar, but I've read quite a few posts here about the iso -> rar problem. Wouldn't surprise me if WinZip did the same.
Besides, I wasn't flaming windows or winrar, I was just stating something that's happened to others.
When you install winrar IIRC it asks which filetypes should be associated to it but as default most are checked.

Harry Kuhman
11-12-2004, 09:00 PM
i have had that problem when helping friends download Knoppix, botn to XP and WIN2K.
as far as i know it is WINRAR and/or one other utility (canot remember name), that "kidnaps" th *.ISO files and tries to unzipthem, anoyinbg as &(/&().
The hijacking is an anoying feature of Windows, happens to a lot more than ISO files. But that's far different from saying a file of one type (in this case iso) is a different type (zip).

This hijacking in no way prevents you from burning an iso. At least as long as you understand what type of file that you really have.

As already stated, if you are burning from an iso, open Nero, and from the file menu select "Burn image ...". DO NOT just copy the ISO to the CD with the "CD ROM (ISO)" option that shows up on the splash menu when Nero starts. This works no matter what application the ISO extension is associated with (I have the ISO extension associated with an application called ISO Buster myself, so clearly it's not a problem). By the way, ISO Buster did not hijack this extension, I made the change myself. See below.

In Windows you can change the association yourself when some anti-social program hijacks an extension (this happens a lot with various graphic and video formats). Just find a file with the extension you want to change, hold the shift key down, and right click on the file. A menu should open that includes open with ... in addition to or instead of open. Select open with ... and a window should open that lets you select what program you want to open the file with. There is also a small check box for always using that application, check it to change the default.

I've seen a few graphic programs that continue to hijack some extensions each time they are run. The fix here is easy too. Stop running any such software.

Recap: Any of 3 approaches to do this: Open Nero and use the burn image option, Shift right-click on the iso file and select Nero from the list of applications, or Shift right-click on the iso file and select Nero from the list of applications and check the box so that you don't have to do this again. That concludes this lesson in using Windows.