PDA

View Full Version : Question about tohd

Mercury 4063
11-12-2004, 05:16 AM
I have two cd drives, and one of them has difficulty reading discs sometimes because it needs to be cleaned. I can't do the tohd command because of this. I was wondering if it's possible to boot off the knoppix cd in my main drive, and have the tohd command read from a second disc in the other drive? Thanks for your replies!

Harry Kuhman
11-12-2004, 05:38 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but you might consider disabling the first CD in your BIOS (which should then let you boot the second as your only CD) or even swap out the bad drive completely (complete removal of the first drive will likely require rejumpering the second, but disabling the first in the BIOS should not).

Mercury 4063
11-12-2004, 09:02 PM
That'd be the most obvious and simple solution, but I'm not currently able to get a replacement drive, and when I switched drives to try booting and such with the other drive, I wouldn't boot into knoppix at all. I'll try to see if I can get it working, though, thanks for the help!

Harry Kuhman
11-12-2004, 09:07 PM
...and when I switched drives to try booting and such with the other drive, I wouldn't boot into knoppix at all.....
That's very strange. Maybe that second drive isn't in as good of shape as you think it is. You did remember that swapping drives is a matter of changing the master/slave jumper, not a matter of moving drives on the cable, didn't you (assuming the drives are not both jumppered for CS, which I've never seen CD drives to be)?

Mercury 4063
11-12-2004, 09:52 PM
The second drive is in much better shape than the first, but it's very possible that there could be a problem with it as well. The jumpers and cables were set up proper when I had switched, it just wouldn't boot the cd at all.