PDA

View Full Version : win2k question

rk2000
11-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi, I'm a new Knoppix3.6 user. I dont have access to the admin password of my work win2k laptop [...but still want to install a dial boot linux system :-) ]. I read a procedure that sounds fine but requires w32grub installed on C:\. I don't have rights to install anything on C (except in a Documents.. folder). Do I have a chance to successfully install Knoppix/Debian on my system? Any suggestions?

Hug It
11-12-2004, 06:55 PM
It's relatively easy to change the admin password (at least for a local administrator account) so you could do what ever you wanted to the machine. But dude, if you were one of my users and did that to your work machine... I'd do whatever I could to have you fired.

JPWhite
11-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Visit http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

This is a Linux based password cracker. You can reset the admin password to blank (recommended) and then set it to something you will remember once you're logged in.

Doing this can make you lose access to NFS secure files, but since you can't get into the admin account that's unlikely in your case. May mass things up for your admins at work tho.

As Hug It said, you may want to tread carefully.

Why not just boot to a Knoppix CD and not get yerself into trouble anywho?

JP

rk2000
11-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm not going to mess with it! I have another installation at home, running just fine.