PDA

View Full Version : Debian Flavour

ElChef
11-12-2004, 05:18 PM
I have installed the Knoppix 3.6 on my HD but I didn't found what flavour of Debian I got installed, I mean Woody or Sarge?
Other question is the Kernels, what are the main differences between Kernel 2.4 and 2.6? What are recommended?

probono
11-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Knoppix is a mixture of packages from different sources, so it is neither woody nor sarge nor sid. (This is also the reason why apt-get updates of Knoppix HD installations sometimes break.) If you are interested in sid, you might also want to consider Kanotix, which is based on sid and released approx. once a month.

Greetings,
probono

Harry Kuhman
11-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Knoppix is a mixture of packages from different sources, so it is neither woody nor sarge nor sid......

my (posiably confused) understand is that woody is the current "stable" debain and that sarge is the currently in-development version. What is sid and where does it fit with the other two?

probono
11-22-2004, 07:53 PM
* unstable = "sid"
The most recent packages are in here. "Unstable" means that the package versions change frequently due to upgrades and thus are not "stabilized". It does NOT mean that the software crashes all the time!

* testing = "sarge"
After some time time of testing, packages from sid are copied here.

* stable = "woody"
The released version, "stable" means that the package versions won't change any more (unless there are neccessary security fixes).

The code names of Debian releases are names of characters from the movie Toy Story:

Unknown -- etch, release date unknown

3.1 -- sarge, started for "freeze" in 31 July, scheduled for release in late 2004

3.0 -- woody, July 19, 2002

2.2 -- potato, August 15, 2000

2.1 -- slink, March 9, 1999

2.0 -- hamm, July 24, 1998

1.3 -- bo, June 2, 1997

1.2 -- rex, December 12, 1996

1.1 -- buzz, June 17, 1996

Markus
11-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Might also be worth mentioning that sarge is almost frozen now (won't get many more package updates) since it's becoming the next stable sometimes early next year.
Sid won't become the next testing though, instead they'll make a new testing branch.

EDIT: Should have read probono's post a little more thoroughly :)

Harry Kuhman
11-22-2004, 08:31 PM
thanks

probono
11-22-2004, 08:45 PM
I have to admit that it took some time for me to understand that "unstable" and "buggy" are two totally separate concepts that mean different things and have nothing to do with each other...

Harry Kuhman
11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
... that "unstable" and "buggy" are two totally separate concepts that mean different things......
I alread had that part, most groups like to have a stable verstion and a version still undergoing changes, which is termed unstable, even thouigh there might be no known problems with it at all (even if there are known problems with the stable version that have now ben fixed, but only in the unstable version). I just didn't know where sid and sarge fit in, had thought Sarge was the current unstable version, but apparently it's sid, and sarge is in limbo, getting ready to be the next stable version.