PDA

View Full Version : GCC won't install

kepler
11-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to install in Debian a particular version of GCC. I've downloaded from GNU the file gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz. In "/root" I created a directory called "temp" where I placed the file. In "temp" I run the command "tar zxvf gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz" that extracted all the files to the directory "gcc-3.3.1". In temp, I created a new directory called "obj". In "obj" I run the command line "/root/temp/gcc-3.3.1/configure". The program started to run. Then I run make.The problem is that it gave two errors at the end. Then I ran install, and it gave error again. I think I made all the right steps - I followed the manual: created a separate dir for the GCC to be built; didn't define a target so it assumes the host=target, etc...

What am I doing wrong? Did I dowloaded the wrong package? Is there some other command option I should have given?

I'm struggling against time friends. Can someone help me please?

Regards,

Kepler

baldyeti
11-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Testing (sarge) is currently at 3.3.4. If you really (really really) need 3.3.1 speciifically, try finding an archived .deb package of it. I haven't had to do this myself in years, but building gcc can be convoluted, and you may discover you also need specific versions of binutils, glibc, linstdc++, gmake... There are sites archiving all historical versions of past debian packages, but I can't seem to find a quick link; sorry.

CrashedAgain
11-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Unless you have a reason to want to compile from source, it is far easier to install packages with apt-get.
Google 'gcc' search within results '3.3.1' search within results '.deb' gives
http://www.jukie.net/~bart/debian/amd64/packages/gcc-3.3/3.3.1-0pre0/
as a source for gcc 3.3.1 .deb package.

kepler
11-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the link. But I'm a bit confused...wich package do I download? Is it gcc-3.3_3.3.1ds0.orig.tar.gz?

Regards,

Kepler

OErjan
11-14-2004, 11:35 AM
*.Deb is the ones you are looking for i think.
but those that the link point to are for the AMD 64bit CPU's. so i think you might be barking up the wrong tree here.
and i am sad to say that not even Google the magnificent have found me any 3.3.1.
and top make things really interesting, there seems to be a major bug in that version (got lots of hits with bug in them).