PDA

View Full Version : Flux

mrblah
03-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Since nobody bother answering my last post :( . I changed my mind and decided to remove kde altogether. How would one go about doing that?
What kind of packages should I remove w/o affecting the booting process and performance of the system?
I have already removed all other wms except fluxbox. I'm gonna use fluxbox from now on, it's clean, nice and lite :D . Please post your thoughts and comments this time. It makes me sad that no one cares :roll:

mrblah
03-29-2003, 06:32 AM
Just so you know, do not upgrade mkisofs to mkisofs 4:2.0+a05-1 .
I think it has a bug or broken cuz after i downgraded it back to 1.10 it worked.
Make sure to either upgrade manually or when doing apt-get upgrade, comment out the testing sources. :)

pubecon
04-23-2003, 02:59 PM
so does that mean you had success?

I'm looking to do the very same thing. I too experience your anguish with unreplied posts. I suspect an anti-fluxbox conspiracy.

mrblah
04-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Yes, I've succeeded in remastering Knoppix with FLuxbox as my only Window manager. I've also removed gnome, kde, wm, larswm and everything else. As a result the cd has gotten much smaller so after that I've added many packages of my personal choosing. And even after that the size of the cd is still only at 608 MB. My cd is pretty much perfect right now, i have my own customized flux menu. As soon as I get home, I'll paste in the list of packages that were added and removed.
I also removed kdm and used xdm instead, cuz it is much cleaner that way. I edited the boot.img so that the sysconfig bootup screen does not list other windows manager and that it will also automatically select flux w/o a user having to enter in the cheat code to bootup in flux.
Glad to see somebody else on this board who's interested in this.
If you need more help remastering and customizing, post in here.
:D

pubecon
04-23-2003, 03:33 PM
you are the man!

I did a bit of tinkering before but without much success

actually, ideally, I'm doing away with any login and leaving it to a startx - terminals are much more hardcore looking.

it's good to see you had success as in a prior attempt I think I must've removed some knoppix-specific config file or just edited one with an editor that automatically wrapped as I got a few annoying errors.

I look forward to your posting of packages to remove!

with all the clobber gone I'm going to try and duplicate my system as of now (it's gentoo which makes this debian business alien) but that'll mean

phoenix as the browser - light and with tabbed browsing/mouse gesture and mplayer plugin support.
fluxbox - obviously!
gkrellm
gaim
gotta have xmms to play all the mp3s I'll squeeze on there

was also wondering how you actually configured it

last time I used Xnest but I can't startx with fluxbox as my windowmanager

i.e. export WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/bin/wherefluxboxis && startx

just a whole load of xserver errors fly my way. It worked last time as well, I've obviously missed something.

Xnest -ac :1 &
chroot /knoppixsrc
zile /etc/resolv.conf
mount -t proc /proc proc
apt-get install synaptic
apt-get install nano
export DISPLAY=localhost:1
export WINDOWMANGER=/usr/bin/fluxbox
startx

what did I miss?!!

mrblah
04-23-2003, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry I don't understand. Are you doing the remastering in gentoo?
Also, are you trying to make it so that when it boots up it goes to a terminal and then if you want, you can do startx fluxbox?
I did mine so that it automatically boots up into fluxbox, I think you might have to check the fluxbox documentation on its website.
Here :

There are two generally different ways to start X11 (and thus Fluxbox). The traditional way is using the command startx. The other way is using a graphical login manager (also called "display manager"). The most common display manager is xdm which is part of the XFree86 distribution. The display manager provided by Gnome is called gdm, the one from KDE is kdm.

If X11 is started the former way (via startx), the file that is important is called .xinitrc and resides in your home directory. In the case of starting via a display manager, the file is .xsession which resides at the same location.

The next step is to find the executable for Fluxbox. For most people, this is /usr/local/bin/fluxbox. Now you need to edit (or create) the file I just mentioned. Just put the following line at the bottom of the file:

exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox
Change the /usr/local/bin/fluxbox to where ever your Fluxbox executable is, the above is the default location when compiling from source. Once that is done, save it and close whatever editor you used to edit it. Now you need to run the following command if you use startx:

$ chmod 700 .xinitrc
In the case of .xsession that is not needed. In both cases, you should create the directory in which Fluxbox stores its configuration:

$ mkdir .fluxbox
If you don't create it, when you exit Fluxbox and restart, you will lose all your settings (the directory is not auto-created unfortunately).

However please note that in the knoppix debian cd, fluxbox is located in /usr/bin/fluxbox if I remember correctly.

Why are you using xnest, is it so that you can have terminals and flux on different sessions? Or is that just for remastering and testing in gentoo?
I'm fairly new to linux so I haven't try xnest yet. :roll:

If you want to access terminals can't you just use them in flux w/ virtual terms (aterm looks pretty nice with transparency turned on) :)

As I have never used xnest before and I have no idea what your environment of remastering is like, and I don't have much experience at this, I'm sorry :roll:

But I'll post the packages to add and remove later on, and if you need anything else that I can help, post in here.
:)

pubecon
04-23-2003, 05:04 PM
yeah, I'm doing the remastering in gentoo

when the cd boots I'm happy with it just going to a terminal so I can start fluxbox with startx.

xnest was just so I could have my 'host' useable whilst configuring the knoppix source in a window. It was very cool when it worked - fluxbox in fluxbox.

getting a gui working environment also fails when trying to access with the actual terminals tty2 and so forth - to get it to pop up on the screen accessible via alt+f8. I will install to hard disc if I really have to but I far prefer this method. I also prefer working within the gui as with aptitude/apt-get I feel I may be removing some essential things while if I am actually in fluxbox (in fluxbox!) at the time of editing I feel more confident that things are going well.

mrblah
04-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Here is my list of packages to remove, you would need to edit them out as you desire. Also try to do "apt-get remove `cat RemoveList` " instead of " dpkg -P `cat RemoveList` " since that way you can see the dependency and fix them accordingly.

ace-of-penguin
ace-of-penguins
amor
bb
bsdgames
chromium
chromium-data
enigma
euro-support
euro-support-console
euro-support-x
falconseye
falconseye-data
fb-music-high
fortune-mod
fortunes
fortunes-min
freeciv
freeciv-gtk
frotz
frozen-bubble
frozen-bubble-data
gnocatan-ai
gnocatan-client
gnocatan-help
gnocatan-server-console
gnocatan-server-data
gnocatan-server-gtk
gnome-card-games
gnome-games
gnome-games-locale
gnome-gnibbles
gnome-gnobots2
gnome-gtali
gnome-iagno
gnotepad+
gnotepad+-help
gnuchess
gtans
gtetrinet
icewm
icewm-common
imaze
ingerman
jumpnbump
k3b
kaddressbook
kalarm
kamera
kandy
kappfinder
karbon
karm
kasteroids
kate
kate-plugins
kate-plugins
katomic
kbattleship
kbounce
kcalc
kcharselect
kchart
kcmlinuz
kcoloredit
kcontrol
kcontrol
kcron
kdat
kdcop
kdeaddons
kdeaddons-kfile-plugins
kdeadmin-kfile-plugins
kdeartwork-screensaver
kdebase
kdebase-bin
kdebase-kio-plugins
kdebugdialog
kde-games
kdegames
kdegraphics-kfile-plugins
kde-i18n-cs
kde-i18n-da
kde-i18n-de
kde-i18n-el
kde-i18n-es
kde-i18n-fr
kde-i18n-it
kde-i18n-ja
kde-i18n-nl
kde-i18n-pl
kde-i18n-ru
kde-i18n-tr
kdelibs4
kdelibs4-dev
kdelibs-bin
kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
kdenetwork-kfile-plugins
kdepasswd
kdepim
kdepim-kfile-plugins
kdepim-libs
kdeprint
kdesktop
kdessh
kdeutils
kdevelop
kdevelop-data
kdf
kdm
kdvi
kedit
kfax
kfile-audio-plugins
kfile-graphics-plugins
kfind
kfloppy
kformula
kgeo
kget
kghostview
kgpgcertmanager
khelpcenter
khexedit
khotkeys
kicker
kicker-applets
kiconedit
kioslave
kivio
kjezz
kjots
klaptopdaemon
klipper
kmahjongg
kmail
kmailcvt
kmenuedit
kmix
kmoon
kmoon
kmrml
knewsticker-scripts
knotes
kodo
kodometer
koffice
koffice-i18n-de
koffice-libs
kompare
konq-plugins
konq-plugins
konq-speaker
konqueror
konqueror-nsplugins
konquest
konsole
kontour
kooka
korganizer
koshell
koules
kpackage
kpager
kpaint
kpersonalizer
kpf
kpilot
kppp
kpresenter
krdc
krecord
krfb
kruler
ksame
kscd
kscreensaver
kshisen
ksim
ksirtet
ksmserver
ksnake
ksnapshot
ksokoban
kspaceduel
ksplash
kspread
kstars
ksync
ksysguard
ksysv
kteatime
ktimer
ktip
ktron
ktuberling
ktux
kugar
kuickshow
kuser
kview
kviewshell
kwin
kword
kworldclock
kxconfig
kxkb
larswm
libkdegames
libkdegames1
lisa
lskat
lxdoom
lxdoom-x11
maelstrom
moon-buggy
nethack
nethack-common
nethack-x11
netris
noatun-plugins
odometer
pingus-data
rocks-n-diamonds
rocksndiamonds
searchandrescue
selflinux
snort
stax
task-games
task-gnome-games
task-kde-games
tipptrainer
tipptrainer-data-de
tipptrainer-data-dexconq
tipptrainer-data-en
trans-de-en
vimsokoban
wmaker
wmakerconf
wmakerconf-data
wmaker-data
xbattle
xbill
xboard
xboing
xbomb
xeyes
xfishtank
xfonts-intl-chinese
xgalaga
xlogo
xskat
xsnow
xtris
xtux

Also if you want, add the following in to /KNOPPIX/etc/X11/fluxbox/menu and fluxbox-menu files:

[submenu] (OpenOffice) {}
[exec] (drawing) {soffice private:factory/sdraw}
[exec] (mathdoc) {soffice private:factory/smath}
[exec] (presentation) {soffice private:factory/simpress}
[exec] (printeradmin) {/opt/openoffice/program/spadmin}
[exec] (spreadsheet) {soffice private:factory/scalc}
[exec] (textdoc) {soffice private:factory/swriter}
[exec] (openoffice) {soffice}
[exec] (setup) {/opt/openoffice/program/setup}
[end]
[submenu] (KNOPPIX) {}
[submenu] (Net) {}
[exec] (pppoeconf) {/usr/sbin/pppoeconf}
[exec] (wlcardconfig) {rxvt -bg black -fg white -cr red -ls -e /usr/sbin/wlcardconfig}
[exec] (netcardconfig) {rxvt -bg black -fg white -cr red -ls -e /usr/sbin/netcardconfig}
[end]
[submenu] (Config) {}
[exec] (cupsconfig) {/usr/sbin/cupsconfig}
[exec] (mkdosswapfile) {rxvt -bg black -fg white -cr red -ls -e /usr/sbin/mkdosswapfile}
[exec] (mkpersistenthome) {/usr/sbin/mkpersistenthome}
[exec] (saveconfig) {/usr/sbin/saveconfig}
[exec] (SoundCardConfig) {rxvt -bg black -fg white -cr red -ls -e /usr/sbin/soundcardconfig}
[end]
[submenu] (Services) {}
[exec] (Knoppix-terminalserver) {/etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalserver}
[exec] (sshstart) {/usr/sbin/sshstart}
[end]
[exec] (RootAtermW) {aterm -T . -tr -trsb +sb -bw 0 -bg black -fg white -cr red -ls -e sudo -s}
[exec] (RegularAterm) {aterm -T . -bg black -fg white -cr red +sb -tr -trsb -bw 0}
[end]

Note that the aterm is my personal preference and if you want to, you have to install it as it is not included in the original Knoppix.
And also make your .xinitrc look like this:

#!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
. /etc/X11/Xsession
exec /usr/bin/fluxbox

If you want to edit your boot.img do a :

mount -t msdos -o loop boot.img mountpoint
and edit your syslinux.cfg to look like so:

DEFAULT vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off screen=1280x1024 desktop=fluxbox hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 150

PROMPT 1
DISPLAY boot.msg
F1 boot.msg
F2 f2
LABEL knoppix
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL knoppix-txt
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=normal initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL expert
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce BOOT_IMAGE=expert
LABEL fb1280x1024
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off desktop=fluxbox hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=794 xmodule=fbdev initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL fb1024x768
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off desktop=fluxbox hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 xmodule=fbdev initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL fb800x600
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off desktop=fluxbox hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL failsafe
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND lang=us ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init vga=normal noscsi nodma noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce xmodule=vesa initrd=miniroot.gz BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL userdef
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND ###

mrblah
04-24-2003, 12:49 AM
I forgot to include my list of packages to add (just a recommendation), some of them are new packages, some of them are already included in the cd but w/ older versions so I just put them in the list so that I remember to upgrade them individually everytime I want to remaster.

6tunnel
X-wvdial
apt-spy
arping
aterm
autopsy
bastille
bitchx
bittorrent
blackbox
busybox
cdfs
chemtool
chkrootkit
chntpw
cinelerra
dante-client
dsniff
ed2k-gtk
ed2k-gtk-gui
edonkey
etherape
etherape
filmgimp
flac
fluxconf
f-prot
freetype2
freetype2-demos
gaim
gftp
gkrellm
gkrellmwireless
gkrellweather
gocr
gopher
harden-tools
hexcurse
hping2
httptunnel
hunt
id3ed
j2re1.4.1
jack
john
lame
lftp
libdvdcss
libmpeg3
libwxgtk2.4-python
linpopup
memtest86
mp3info
mpack
mplayer
mplayer-686
mplayer-doc
mplayer-fonts
mplayer-mozilla
msttcorefonts
naim
nbtscan
ncftp
nemesis
nichewrk
nmap
ntaim
ntop
ogle
ogle-gui
ohphone
openmosix
outguess
outguess
perl
pptpd
pvm
python
python-gnuplot
python-numeric
python-stats
radio
rar
ripperx
scribus
sharutils
simph323
snarf
snmp
snort
stegdetect
steghide
stunnel
task
tcpreplay
tct
tkpaint
unrar
unzip
upx-nrv
upx-ucl
whowatch
wipe
wvdial
wxpython
xmms-flac
xmovie
xnview
xsane
xsteg
zip

pubecon
04-24-2003, 12:49 AM
fantastic. that HAS to also be of use to someone other than myself.

uni-workload permitting I'll try that out tomorrow. even if it's a few days, I'm still here and most definetly interested so if anything else comes to mind that you think might even be the vaguest bit of help please do post it.

most appreciated!

mrblah
04-24-2003, 12:56 AM
Yeah well, when I first started remastering, I couldn't find all the informations (not that they aren't there, they're just scattered everywhere) and when you ask somebody in the forum, they either bitch about it or don't reply at all.
Hope this would help somebody. :)

Yoji
05-19-2003, 05:17 PM
can't you make an ISO of your CD? plz :)

mrblah
05-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Yes, I can, if you want to, in fact I just recently updated with some more packages and the iso is still on my hd.
However, it is a personalized version, that is, not all softwares are presented in the menu, b/c i like to start them from the command lines anyway, and it'd takes too much time to add every software into the right click menu in flux.
So I'm not sure if you would want it. If you do, lemme know, I don't have a webspace or anything, maybe we can transfer it some other way :D