PDA

View Full Version : Conquered WiFi

gnarvaja
11-13-2004, 02:08 AM
I have been struggling to get a connection through my Linksys PCMCIA WiFi card everytime I boot. I think that what causes the problem is the need to set up the ESSID and/or WEP for my WiFi router.

Problem description:
1. I boot with the command knoppix myconfig=scan
2. While loading from the CD the PCMCIA card gives an error message:

cardmgr[90]: + ./sbin/pump -i eth0 >/dev/null
cardmgr[90]: + Operation failed
cardmgr[90]: start cmd exited with status 1
I would expect it to fail since the ESSID/WEP information is missing.
3. The boot process continues normally until after loading the personal parameters where I get the following error message when trying to reload the wireless card configuration:

cardmgr[567]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: device or resource busy

Solution:
After reviewing the information in the forums and checking into the scripts I discovered that the pump demon keeps running after failing during the boot process. This makes the cardmgr fail again while loading the personal configuration.
By issuing the following sequence of commands order is restored:

su
pump -k
cardmgr
One possible solution would be to modify the knoppix.sh script to check if pump is still running before killall cardmgr. I'm not sure how would that work if you have 2 different network connections (ie: eth0 and eth1). Maybe some of the Knoppix gurus can look into it? It is the same in Knoppix 3.4 and 3.6.

Thank you to all of you that took your time to describe your problems, solutions, etc. They provided with the info I needed to diagnose and solve my problem.

G

NEOMinds
11-26-2004, 07:19 PM
I have a Ornioco Classic Gold card and have same trouble of connecting and am using the

pump -k
cardmgr

as mentioned below to solve my troubles but I am hoping that there is a solution. Can anyone offer me any suggestions so that I don't have to perform this each time I boot?

Thanks,

NEOMinds

rgarden
03-21-2005, 05:04 AM
I have an Orinoco Classic Gold (B) card in a Dell Latitude cpxj650, as does a friend of mine. He has the same symptoms that Gnarvaja has, while mine boots up fine. From what I can see the problem lies in "Cardmgr", somewhere , because my last entry in the Cardmgr section is Cardmgr[131] +./sbin/pump -i eth0 >/dev/null, while he gets "+ operation Failed" then "Start cmd exited with status busy."

We both have wireless routers with different Essid names; he has WEP active, I do not. We both run Knoppix 3.7

I took my laptop ovet to his house , booted up and could not get on the network.
Running Iwconfig showed my Essid was blank .

I ran (as SU) "Iwconfig eth0 key xxxxxxxxxx" using his WEP key
I then ran "Iwconfig eth0 essid nnnnnnnnn with his router name
I finished with Pump -i eth0 and got a green light on my card, then signed onto google with Firefox
The point is, the WEP did not cause my cardmgr script to lock up.

My friend ran ( As SU)
pump -k
cardmgr

then ran the iwconfig routine I ran, and HIS card came up and running.

Whatever this glitch is, a lot of folks suffer from it, usually folks who have installed knoppix to their hard drives .
If you find out how to patch the init process to overcome this glitch , please post the solution here !

:lol: