PDA

View Full Version : wifi troubles

roc
11-13-2004, 10:50 PM
I'm having trouble with my orinoco (silver) connecting to my wireless router. I've read most of stickys which have helped but I'm still not connecting. I ran the script which picked up most things, but is not connecting. When I run iwconfig I get back the following:

lo no wireless extensions

eth0 it shows all my info such as my essid, wep key, nickname(??) etc, except my link quality is 0/92.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

Any help would be great thank you

roc
11-14-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure if this will help but this is what I'm getting when I use the iwconfig command:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"roc" Nickname:"HERMES I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457GHz Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
Bit Rate:11Mb/s Sensitivity:1/3
Retry limit:4 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/92 Signal level=134/153 Noise level=134/153
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Hope this helps.

grant_vallance
11-15-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure if this will help but this is what I'm getting when I use the iwconfig command:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"roc" Nickname:"HERMES I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457GHz Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
Bit Rate:11Mb/s Sensitivity:1/3
Retry limit:4 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/92 Signal level=134/153 Noise level=134/153
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Hope this helps.

I hope I can help, notwithstanding being a novice, HoweverI need to ask a few questions first.

(1) Is 44:44:44:44:44:44 the MAC address of your Accesspoint (router)? I find it suspicious given the billions of combinations that yours happens to be the one with all '4's. (I get all zero's and it means that the accesspoint is not being detected/recognised.) Unless of course you are spoofing your MAC address ...

(2) Are you using fixed I.P addresses or DHCP (from the router) to assign them?

The first thing to try is eliminate whether it is the location of your wireless box that is causing the problems. I have found the KnoxppixLinux to be less sensitive than the M$ equivalent -- perhaps I need to tweak the power but ... the point is that it is important to find out whether it is merely the location of your box that is causing the lack of connection.

I found that moving my box a few centimeters can make all the difference! So to eliminate this ... try and get connected right next to the router if you can.

If this fails, say so, and I'll try and help you further.

Regards,

Grant D. Vallance

roc
11-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey Grant thanks for the reply, and great stickey post, that thing has helped me out. I got the wireless capabilities to work and it is great. It was something so easy that I overlooked. Well time to get hardcore about nix. Thanks to all