PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix in a folder on the hdd not a partiton?

ThatData
12-22-2002, 04:58 AM
I think it would be great to have knoppix in a seperate folder on the hdd insted of a seperate partiton... it would be easier to install knoppix on the hdd and not have everything on the other partition be erased when you format.. that is if you are not using partition magic.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-28-2002, 03:37 PM
Is that the only way not to trash the original install, using partition magic? Come on, what happened to free open source GPL software coming to the plate and hitting a homerun?

OOPS, almost forgot what I was replying about!

Take a look at zipslack.zip on www.slackware.com for a bare-bones, console-only linux install on a DOS partition to a folder named linux using lilo to boot from Windoze. If you loike that, try BigSlack which is a full slackware install to a DOS partition (only in slackware 7.0).

This is a good idea! How about a zipknx or BigKnoppix???

12-31-2002, 07:53 AM
Phat linux does this, it boots from within Windows '98 (not 2000, last I looked) and turns it inside out - you end up with a windows directory that contains all your windows stuff, on a linux system.

iivanoff
01-02-2003, 02:34 PM
I already have it running on a VFAT (Windows) partition using a loop file system. This needed a humble 2GB file :D and some modifications to the init scripts.
I think I have to test it for a while before sending a note to Klaus and the community.[/quote]

hythum
01-11-2003, 12:24 PM
I used nearly a dozen distros with at least 3 cd based (Knoppix/demolinux Suse ) and a few Dos based (Phat/winlinux etc).
of all these knoppix is by far the best especially at configurig hardware.
It would be lovely to run it from a dos foler as it will be a lot faster.
If any one knows how to do this please let me know at hythum@excite.com

stonent
01-12-2003, 12:35 AM
You can just copy the knoppix folder from the CD to c:\ and when you boot from the floppy it will find it and use it.