PDA

View Full Version : Lucent Win Modem?

Ins0mniac
11-14-2004, 04:18 AM
I can't get my Lucent Win Modem to run in Knoppix Linux distro. I don't think it has the right drivers. Can I download them with Windows and then copy them to Linux?

CrashedAgain
11-15-2004, 01:45 AM
I have gotten my winmodem to work with drivers from this site:http://www.heby.de/ltmodem but so far on using the 2.4 kernel, not with the 2.6.

I use ltmodem but it doesn't install straight off the .deb package because there is a problem with the gcc compiler check in Knoppix, specifically that Knoppix kernel was compiled with gcc version 2.xx & that is a mismatch to the ltmodem.

Here's how I get around it:
1. Download ltmodem-8.26a.tar.gz from http://www.heby.de/ltmodem
2. Unpack it to a convenient directory
3. Following the instructions in the 'readme', CD to that directory, then (as root) run ./build-module and 'ltinst2'
4. Edit the script ./autoload to remove the gcc version check. This is an 'if' statement which runs from about line 265 to about line 295. Comment out everything between the "if" and the "fi" by placing a # at the beginning of the line.
5. Then run ./autoload
6. Provided your winmodem is of a type supported by this driver, you should now have a working modem. Check by using KPPP->configure->query modem.

Once modem is working, configuring is easy. I use KPPP & just have to enter the appropriate phone number, user name etc.

And yes, you can use Windows to download the tar file then copy it into Linux.

CrashedAgain
11-15-2004, 01:48 AM
Here is probably a better way to deal with the incompatible gcc problem. Sorry about the Portugese, I just downloaded this & haven't had time to translate it.
Instalando Lucent winmodem no Knoppix 3.3

por Antonio Carlos V. da Silva - acvsilva_AT_terra.com.br
se aplica aos lucent/agere com chip SV92P

O kernel do knoppix 3.3 é compilado com o gcc-2.95 e os drivers do lucent, com o gcc-3.x. Isto cria uma incompatibilidade que impede o usuário de instalá-los.
Assim, vamos recompilá-los com o 2.95 para podermos navegar na internet sem problemas... ;-))

1) Baixe os fontes - ltmodem-826a9.tar.gz - em aqui.

2) Como root, execute:
# mv /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc_old
# ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 /usr/bin/gcc

3) Descompacte o arquivo do driver num local qualquer (ex.: /tmp):
# tar -xvzf ltmodem*gz
# cd ltmodem-826a9/source

4) Recompile os drivers:
# gcc ltmodem.c
# gcc serial-lt.2.X.c (onde X corresponde à série do kernel: se 2.4.alguma_coisa, X=4)
# cd .. (saindo do diretório source)

5) Construa o módulo para debian:
# ./build_deb

6) Ignore as mensagens que aparecerem. Após o pacote ser feito, clique nele para instalação automática...

7) Configure seu discador preferido e navegue tranquïlo... ;-))

English::

Kernel of knoppix 3,3 is compiled with the GCC-2.95 and drivers of lucent, with the GCC-3.X. This creates an incompatibility that hinders the user to install them.
Thus, we go to compile them with the 2,95 to be able to sail in the InterNet without problems...; -))

1) Baixe the sources - ltmodem-826a9.tar.gz - in here.

2) As root, it executes:
# mv /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc_old
# ln - s /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 /usr/bin/gcc

3) Descompacte the archive of driver in a place any (former: /tmp):
# to tar - xvzf ltmodem*gz
# compact disc ltmodem-826a9/source

4) Recompile drivers:
# GCC ltmodem.c
serial-lt.2.X.c # GCC (where X corresponds to the series of kernel: if 2.4.alguma_coisa, X=4)
# compact disc. (leaving the directory source)

5) Construa the module for debian:
# /build_deb

6) Ignore the messages that to appear. After the package to be fact, click in it for automatic installation...

7) Configure its preferred discador and sails tranquïlo...; -))

CrashedAgain
11-15-2004, 04:06 AM
Here is a better English translation. I havent' tried this but it should be a more 'proper' way than editing the ./autoload file.

1) Download ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz

2) Knoppix has both gcc 2.95 and gcc 3.3 installed. The file /usr/bin/gcc is a link which points to gcc3.3, so justchange the link so it points to gcc 2.95 (same a s the kernel) instaed of gcc3.3:

As root, execute:
mv /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc_old
ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 /usr/bin/gcc

3) Extract the tar file to a suitable directory (ex.: /tmp):
tar -xvzf ltmodem*gz
cd ltmodem-8.26a9/source

4) Compile the drivers:
gcc ltmodem.c
gcc serial-lt.2.4.c
cd .. (change to directory 'source')

5) Build the .deb package:
./build_deb

6) You should be able to ignore any warning messages. dpkg -i the .deb package.

7) Change your gcc link back to what it was:
mv /usr/bin/gcc_old /usr/bin/gcc
just let it overwrite the link to gcc 2.95