PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix: boot supposedly inactive...

Wrincle
11-14-2004, 08:51 AM
I have just done jdong's install guide (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174&highlight=howto) (using knoppix-installer script instead of the old one) and when I reboot, i'll get to the NTLDR, I get to choose from two options:

Win XP Home (which i named "Evil Bill Gates OS")
Knoppix (^ "w00t_Linux_w00t")

I choose Knoppix, and I get a constant blinking cursor. Nothing happens. Zip. Zilch. Etc.

I don't know what happened. During install, I installed LILO to the Linux partition...which I think is the problem. Dunno what to do from there.

Thanks for your help.

shah
11-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Try reinstall knoppix and this time let lilo install to mbr.
:D :D

OErjan
11-14-2004, 11:04 AM
During install, I installed LILO to the Linux partition...which I think is the problem.

I have edited a qoute from myself regarding this to fit you better.
The meaning of hdXY is simply your hard drive, where X is driveletter )a,b,c,d...) and Y is partition number (1,2....15, 16...) where you installed lilo.

you could use the Win2000/NT/XP bootloader.
to do that I let the nt bootloader and lilo work together for me. works well.
quick sketch what i do, write LILO to a floppy, make a "image" of the floppy-mbr put that image in C:\ edit BOOT.INI mine looks like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
C:\linux.ipl="LINUX"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

a few more details.

1) as you made lilo write to the linuxpartitions root, you should have this line in lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hdXY

or give partition as an argument to lilo

lilo -b /dev/hdXY

2) make a image of the root of the linuxpartition, and put it on a floppy, then in windows put it directly under C:\

dd if=/dev/hdXY of=/mnt/auto/floppy/linux.ipl bs=512 count=1

3) Modifiy c:\boot.ini -- add a line with:

C:\linux.ipl="Linux"

repeat 1) and 2) every time you run LILO.

Microsoft ntldr now believes you have yet another windows installed. happy booting
oh btw, i have several linuxes booting from that same lilo.