PDA

View Full Version : Prevent users from writing MP3's and Movies in Linux

emmbec
11-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Hi, I have this proyect i need to do, and I was hoping someone could help me put. I need to prevent users in a Linux server from writing illegal files in their accounts(mp3,pictures,mov,wav,bin,etc) wel, what I really need to know is to identify this files in case users change their extension to something like .doc,.txt,.trickyfile, etc. The specifications and restrictions are these:

•That it is usable on any Unix system (i.e. Linux,Solaris workstations & server etc).
•That it does not have a cost.
•That it is legal (no pirated commercial solutions allowed).
•That can identify the most different kinds of files possible.
•That it finishes its task in the least amount of time.

I hope someone can tell me go to do this, it will be a challenge, but I hope you guys can help me. Thanks.

NOTE: I tryed using the file command, but it doesn't detect all files....

pau1knopp
11-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Darn, my recommendation was going to be a script run by cron that deletes all *.mp3, *.ogg, *.etc from a users workspace using output from the file command. Have you thought about a good "paper" policy to discourage this activity? Places I've worked at tell you that you will receive disciplinary action up to and possibly including termination. I know not the answer to the question you asked, but my two cents, and worth every penny.

~pau1

emmbec
11-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Well, since its a school project there is no problem by restricting the users. I have foound out that MIME may be helpful to identify the illegal files, anyone knows about this???

firebyrd10
11-16-2004, 12:20 AM
The new version of file can detect more types of files.

probono
11-16-2004, 04:08 AM
No software in the world will be able to tell a legal mp3 or picture from an illegal one. That would be possible only by enforcing DRM (Digital Rights Management) for _all_ files, which is quite against the Open Source spirit.

And the solution definitely can't be to forbid _all_ mp3s and pictures in a school setting - that wouldn't be freedom (of mind) at all.

So imho the key is in education - education about what is acceptable and what not. And manual checks.

Greetings,
probono

emmbec
11-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Believe me, I am more against it than you can think, but its my grade hahhaha, so i can't do anything about it. I think I almost got it, I will post back the solution tomorrow for all you guys to see, and maybe find a way to bypass this restriction....

bil_912
11-24-2004, 11:59 PM
why dont u give a try in programmain a module :twisted:

which will intercept all WRITE request to files, and files with extecsions of ur choice will be discarded.

i guess that'll solve ur problem

UnderScore
11-25-2004, 12:16 AM
why dont u give a try in programmain a module :twisted:

which will intercept all WRITE request to files, and files with extecsions of ur choice will be discarded.

i guess that'll solve ur problem
I gather you missed what emmbec said
what I really need to know is to identify this files in case users change their extension to something like .doc,.txt,.trickyfile, etc.

mike_the_bike
11-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Could you just set up a cron job to search through the user directories using "find" to find files larger than 100K and simply report the name of the user and the file name to a log file. Then just scan the log periodically yourself.

This wouldn't trap pictures as they're usually under 100K but why would you want to block pictures (or am I being too innocent?).

Another option would be to put a wrapper around the music and movie players on the system to put the name of the user, the file name and when they ran it. You'd want to call the normal player afterwards otherwise people would quickly wise up.

Must admit it does sound a bit draconian at your place.

Mike