PDA

View Full Version : cp: will not create hard link

emanuelez
03-28-2003, 09:25 PM
i have this problem traying to install knoppix 3.2 on my HDD.
the knx-hddinstall works great but when it copies files from cd to hdd i gives the error on the title about 15 times at 3% of the installation.
after that the installation goes on without anyother problem but when i reboot and try my hdd installation the kernel gets into panic :( any hint?

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Dunno exactly, but error messages almost ever come from bad media or from bad memory ...

You could try to start knoppix with "testcd" as cheatcode and see if all goes well. Also try to check the md5 of the image you used if possible.

cu

Fabian

emanuelez
03-28-2003, 09:33 PM
thx for the fast reply!
md5 is ok... i checked it before burning the cd.
i will try this check cd tip.
it is like: knoppix testcd
at lilo boot, right?

emanuelez
03-28-2003, 09:57 PM
i tried the testcd option. the cd was checked and no error messages appeared.
any other hint?

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 10:07 PM
i have this problem traying to install knoppix 3.2 on my HDD.
the knx-hddinstall works great but when it copies files from cd to hdd i gives the error on the title about 15 times at 3% of the installation.
after that the installation goes on without anyother problem but when i reboot and try my hdd installation the kernel gets into panic :( any hint?

I have had trouble trying to format with 'xfs'. The install wouldn't complete. Also as Fabianx mentioned I have seen Knoppix do all sorts of weird things because of bad or cheap RAM.
Are you installing LILO to the MBR?
Will it boot with the floppy or do you get a kernel panic that way too?
Just a few ideas.

emanuelez
03-28-2003, 10:22 PM
i just tried booting from the floppy and it gives the same problem.
lilo is installed on MBR but it works great.
the kernel goes into manic cause it can't mount root fs :(
i istalled knoppix 3.1 many times on this same computer and it works great. too bad it didn't support journaled filesystems!

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 10:34 PM
too bad it didn't support journaled filesystems!

ext3 is a journalized file system and that's what I use.

emanuelez
03-28-2003, 10:44 PM
does knoppix 3.1 really support ext3?
i tried to install it and i thought i did it properly (also changed fstab) but it acted like a ext2... and a voltage loss was fatal to my system. i bet ext3 would have survived to it :(

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 10:47 PM
does knoppix 3.1 really support ext3?
i tried to install it and i thought i did it properly (also changed fstab) but it acted like a ext2... and a voltage loss was fatal to my system. i bet ext3 would have survived to it :(

I use ext3 no problems - I couldn't comment one way or the other about the voltage loss. What happened - standard power outage or did a squirrel get into a transformer? :D

emanuelez
03-28-2003, 10:53 PM
power outage :?
ok.. so...
#tune2fs -j /dev/hda1

and fstab editing is all i need to do, right?

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Rather than ramble on I'll just point you here. They've said it all I think.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm

In fact you can go from ext2 to ext3 and back again (if you're brave) :D

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 11:23 PM
power outage :?
ok.. so...
#tune2fs -j /dev/hda1

and fstab editing is all i need to do, right?

No! You need to use an initrd ...

I wrote the journaling filesystem part of knx-hdinstall, so I know that it is not easy to use it on your boot partition afterwards ... (I think somewthing with xfs got wrong, I myself never tested it, seems to need pivot_root, am discussing this with author of knx-hdinstall just now (waiting for reply to my mail))

However:

apt-get install ash <debian-kernel>

should work and after making an initrd and having setup lilo.conf correctly all will work :-))

I'll in short explain, what goes wrong and why your system was ext2 even if you did install a journal...

The kernel has according to SuSE-people a bug. It prefers ext2 over ext3, when ext3 is a module and not builtin into kernel. This is no problem for mounting other partitions but one for root-partition ...

Kernel tries to do it ext2, succeeds and uses it that way ...

So journal is never recreated and fails desperately ...

One solution is to use an initial ramdisk, which loads jbd, ext3-module, pre-mounts the hd and the pivot_roots (change permant root) into it.

For reiserfs one only needs to load the module at startup, kernel will do the rest (no race condition, as kernel cannot mount it as an ext2, but also kernel panic without initrd!)

Christian most probably thought xfs, was the same, but it seems not to work, so we'll try to do it with pivot_root and then see if it works ...

Then you get a new version ...

If anyone wants to test an initrd with pivot_root and xfs he has to change following lines in knx-hdinstall (just copy it from /usr/local to . and then after cahning start with ./knx-hdinstall, that works):

change:

xfs)
INITMODS="$INITMODS xfs"
;;

to:

xfs)
INITMODS="$INITMODS xfs"
PIVOTFS="xfs"
;;

Then ./knx-hdinstall and see if that works ... (so no kernel panic at boot)

If it doesn't it would be nice to have the mount error-message...

cu

Fabian

emanuelez
03-28-2003, 11:25 PM
thx mate!
i'll really miss these nice antialiased fonts :P

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Rather than ramble on I'll just point you here. They've said it all I think.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm

In fact you can go from ext2 to ext3 and back again (if you're brave) :D

bah, they do know nothing ... (well, ok they know something but these are mistakes ;-) )

* ext3 only works that way if compiled into the kernel
* mount will show the entry from /etc/fstab not the real mount (and use /etc/mtab)
[ So it can show ext3 even if it is still ext2 ]

Do "cat /proc/mounts" if you need infos if its ext2 or ext3.

cu

Fabian :-)

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 11:28 PM
thx mate!
i'll really miss these nice antialiased fonts :P

huh ? Now I'm puzzled, what do you mean ?

cu

Fabian

PS: Sorry, for doing so much posts, but I was just answering to each of you!

rickenbacherus
03-29-2003, 12:27 AM
* mount will show the entry from /etc/fstab not the real mount (and use /etc/mtab)

cu

So you're telling me that even though my fstab says ext3 and cat /proc/mounts says ext3 and even though I have lost power to my machine when I rebooted it says nothing about running fsck it is still ext2? Do I understand you correctly?

emanuelez
03-29-2003, 09:19 AM
fabianx... many thanks for your help and support.
i tried to hdinstall knoppix 3.2 anso using wxt2 but i have the same cp error.
i guess i have to go back to knoppix 3.1

about antialiased fonts... i really like the way mozilla looks with them (dunno if it's because of xfree 4.3 or anything else) so i'll try to update my system once i get my old knoppinx 3.1 to work properly on hdd again :)

Fabianx
03-29-2003, 02:10 PM

cu

So you're telling me that even though my fstab says ext3 and cat /proc/mounts says ext3 and even though I have lost power to my machine when I rebooted it says nothing about running fsck it is still ext2? Do I understand you correctly?

No, if cat /proc/moutns says ext3 all is fine (and it IS ext3), but you cannot be so sure if only "mount" says ext3.

If it works, we don't have to dicsuss it :D

cu

Fabian

Fabianx
03-29-2003, 02:13 PM
fabianx... many thanks for your help and support.
i tried to hdinstall knoppix 3.2 anso using wxt2 but i have the same cp error.
i guess i have to go back to knoppix 3.1

about antialiased fonts... i really like the way mozilla looks with them (dunno if it's because of xfree 4.3 or anything else) so i'll try to update my system once i get my old knoppinx 3.1 to work properly on hdd again :)

It sems from another Thread, that 2003-03-28 will solve your problem. (Though I haven't tested it yet.)

cu

Fabian

emanuelez
03-30-2003, 09:40 PM
i downloaded the latestt version of knoppix 3.2. the hard link problem is gone but some new problem arrived.
so i got back to 3.1 and i'm tweaking it to fit my needs and likes.
i want to convert my ext2 to ext3 but i didn't understand what u told me about it.
do i have to recompile the kernel?
thx again!

Repzilon
09-28-2003, 01:47 PM
I have been able to install Knoppix 2003-07-26 (I did not have time to download a newer one) on a XFS partition after patching knx-hdinstall as Fabian Franz suggested. Thank you Fabian!