PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Bidi
11-15-2004, 02:11 AM
Yep, first post here. I'm one of those long time lurker, first time poster type of people. Figured I might as well introduce myself now rather than later. I just installed Knoppix a few weeks ago and been correcting my own issues little by little.

I figured the easiest way to fix my little bugs with Knoppix/Linux would be to HD install it on my mom's computer. Needless to say, she calls me every hour to figure something. My latest project is to install DamnSmallLinux (50Mb liveCD based on Knoppix) on a 9 year old 486SX Laptop that's worth absolutely nothing. I'll need luck, cause I already hit my first problem, can't find the Floppy drive (it's an external PCMCIA drive).

-Stefan

Cuddles
11-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Yep, first post here. I'm one of those long time lurker, first time poster type of people. Figured I might as well introduce myself now rather than later. I just installed Knoppix a few weeks ago and been correcting my own issues little by little.

I figured the easiest way to fix my little bugs with Knoppix/Linux would be to HD install it on my mom's computer. Needless to say, she calls me every hour to figure something. My latest project is to install DamnSmallLinux (50Mb liveCD based on Knoppix) on a 9 year old 486SX Laptop that's worth absolutely nothing. I'll need luck, cause I already hit my first problem, can't find the Floppy drive (it's an external PCMCIA drive).

-Stefan

Well, Welcome Bidi, to the Wonderful World of Linux, Debian, "Sid", and GNU :!:

First of all, OUCH! ( on your mom's computer! ) I dont think I'd inflict my mom with this, giggle... ( maybe a nice I-Mac - LOL ) If I was going to do this to her, I'd spend at least a few hours on getting her used to what to click, and set up LOTS of shortcuts on the desktop...

On your second issue, maybe a nice post in the "Laptop" forum on the PCMCIA thing, is a good start. I dont have a laptop, nor do I have PCMCIA, so I havent a clue, but I know "of" laptops, and I think that forum may be the best place to look, I am quite sure that your subject has been covered in that forum, at least once - maybe do a Search Knoppix.net with the keyword pcmcia in the box? You may find someone else has already "broken ground" on what you seek? You may want to look in the DOCS, as well, it may be a "known" issue, already... And, if all else fails, a post into the forum, will definately get you what you seek :D

I cant remember what "my first post" was, but, I bet you it wasnt a "Hi" one, more likely, "HELP - How do I get 'this' working?" post... Hmmm, now I'm intrigued, what was my first post?????

Again, welcome, good luck, and hope it all works out for you - ( and your mom doesnt kill you for what you DID to her - LOL ROTFLMAO ... )
Ms. Cuddles

EDIT:
Just looked at my very first post, and, yep, it was what I thought... First part was how great Knoppix is, and then, about issues on "converting" my system from Win98 over to HDD Installed Knoppix... Sheesh, talk about a "blast from the past", and only coming up on a year ago, I sure have come a long way, since then :)
END EDIT

Bidi
11-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Just looked at my very first post, and, yep, it was what I thought... First part was how great Knoppix is, and then, about issues on "converting" my system from Win98 over to HDD Installed Knoppix...

Haha.... dont' worry about me, I'll get as much info about a subject as possible before posting a question, that way I don't sound so stupid.

As far as Knoppix on my mom's computer, it took 1 hour for her to get the basics. The biggest problems right now are getting programs that she uses and configuring it her way. And for the floppy thing, I meant I can't physically find the drive, I have no idea where I put it. I actually already have a question, let me go post it.

firebyrd10
11-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Just looked at my very first post, and, yep, it was what I thought... First part was how great Knoppix is, and then, about issues on "converting" my system from Win98 over to HDD Installed Knoppix...

Haha.... dont' worry about me, I'll get as much info about a subject as possible before posting a question, that way I don't sound so stupid.

As far as Knoppix on my mom's computer, it took 1 hour for her to get the basics. The biggest problems right now are getting programs that she uses and configuring it her way. And for the floppy thing, I meant I can't physically find the drive, I have no idea where I put it. I actually already have a question, let me go post it.

Knoppix has a pcmia deamon. I don't think DSL has one though.

(Whats my first post?)

Found it, looks somewhat intelligent. I must have lurked also.