PDA

View Full Version : routing (??) problems

Arsène Lupin
11-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi all!
I recently installe knoppix 3.6 to my hd with no problems. I've a DSL connection and a Sparklan DSL-Router.I haven't setted any particular routing rule and PC's with MSWIN can access the internet with no problems, but my knoppix laptop and other linux pcs I tried can not. The ping command works correctly with any pc and the traceroute seems to get to destination. I have no DHCP, but static addresses and I can ping my dns too.When I try opening any site (except google, that strangly works) i get a timeout error (can't connect to...). The same thing happens if i try to access any other service (ftp and apt-get too)
Can anybody help me?? I would like to format the win partition once for ever...

Thanks everybody!!

baldyeti
11-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Salut l'Arsène!

Do you get a reply when typing "nslookup www.google.com", "nslookup www.knoppix.net'... If not, maybe you don't have an /etc/resolv.conf file? It should have at least a line "nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" - copy it from your windows connection settings if needs be.

Arsène Lupin
11-18-2004, 02:23 AM
Thank you Baldyeti :)
The nslookup command returns the right ipadress.. :? and in the resolv.conf there is the ip-adress of my routerand two of my dsl-provider..
Help!!

shah
11-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Check with your Windows: ipconfig /all
and see the DNS of your isp...at the bottom line i think.
Check if that DNS is the same in linux /etc/resolv.conf

:D :D

Arsène Lupin
11-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Check with your Windows: ipconfig /all
and see the DNS of your isp...at the bottom line i think.
Check if that DNS is the same in linux /etc/resolv.conf

yes, it's the same, it's the ip adress of my router in my lan.. adresses are correctly resolved!! ping command, traceroute and nslookup commands work correctly! adresses are resolved rightly, but I can't open any website (exept Google :shock:)

baldyeti
11-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Are you seeing this problem with all browsers (konqueror,mozilla,lynx...)? Maybe you altered your proxy settings with an an exception so that google is accessed directly ?

Arsène Lupin
11-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Are you seeing this problem with all browsers (konqueror,mozilla,lynx...)? Maybe you altered your proxy settings with an an exception so that google is accessed directly ?

yes, with any browser, and there is no proxy setted in mozilla... it's really a strange behaviour... :roll:

shah
11-18-2004, 02:39 PM
How about post your /etc/network/interfaces here so we can take a look.

Arsène Lupin
11-18-2004, 09:43 PM
How about post your /etc/network/interfaces here so we can take a look.

Here it is:

---------------

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0 eth1
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth1 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

------------------

shah
11-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Which nic you use to connect to router....eth0 or eth1?
Do you really have 2 nic card or it just "firewire" acting as a nic card?
If it a firewire, disable firewire..............cheatcode: nofirewire (append to lilo)..and rerun netcardconfig.

Try this:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto lo eth0
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

or you could try using different ip number
:D

esteban
12-16-2004, 05:05 AM
I am having almost identical problems to the OP. I can ssh into my box, I can ping and sucessfuly resolve domain names to IP addresses but as far as web browsing, apt-get, wget or FTP are concerned nothing works, they all just timeout. I don't have any IPtable firewall stuff setup and when I make the box a DMZ host on my hardware firewall the problem still exists.

Any help what-so-ever would be gratefully received, please bare in mind that I am a novice Linux user - I am using a hybrid version of Knoppix called Knoppmyth which is designed for tivo style boxes.