PDA

View Full Version : Problems with elder Monitor

Schwindelinside
11-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Hello,

I own a very old Highscreen Le35P-Monitor. If I start my Computer with the Knoppix Live CD. I can only see a totally distorted picture on screen while and after the boot-process.
There are one posibility or parameter to start knoppix so, that I can see it right on my old screen? Many thanks for usefull hints.

greetings

Jakykong
11-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Ok, the monitor brand and model isnt very helpful. Do you have windows on your system? If you do, go into it, right click on the desk top, click preferences, go to settings, and change the resolution a couple times until you find out what resolutions your monitor supports.

Common support for older monitors is 640x480, you can set knoppix to work with the settings your monitor supports.

Harry Kuhman
11-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Common support for older monitors is 640x480, you can set knoppix to work with the settings your monitor supports.

Sometimes it's not just the screen resolution, but also the scan frequencies. I've seen a few times where various live boot CD's have been told to work at a known good resolution but the disply still gets messed up, apparently because the CD decides to scan at a higher frequency than the monitor supports. There may well be cheat codes to deal with this, but I don't know them. And I doubt that configuration file changes are the answer, both because they hardly help a user booting from CD as the product is intended, but also because before a user can install and make those changed they need to get the monitor working (and would like to see what they have prior to an install).