PDA

View Full Version : Getting a flash drive to be mounted as writeable

jay_kpx
11-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Hello,

I recently bought a SanDisk 512 MB Micro USB flash drive. I can boot into Knoppix using a CD. (I am using the most recent version of Knoppix, since I downloaded and made the CD within the last week.)

Knoppix autodetects the flash drive as a read-only SCSI drive (sda1). The thing is, I would like to be able to write to USB flash drive.

How should I mount this flash drive as a writeable drive?

Please note that /mnt is not writeable.

Thanks in advance for any help,

- Jay

Markus
11-15-2004, 09:08 PM
You can right-click the desktop icon and uncheck "read only" in the device tab or open a terminal and do:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
If you need to specify filesystem check /etc/fstab and add for example -t vfat

jay_kpx
11-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Hello Markus,

thanks for your reply. The command line version worked ( sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ) but for some reason when I right clicked on the desktop icon for the drive, chose properties, then went to the device tab and unchecked "read only", it did not have any effect. [ I tried the GUI version of the process before the command line one.]

In any case, it works now, since the command line version was effective. Thanks very much for your help.

firebyrd10
11-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Hello Markus,

thanks for your reply. The command line version worked ( sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ) but for some reason when I right clicked on the desktop icon for the drive, chose properties, then went to the device tab and unchecked "read only", it did not have any effect. [ I tried the GUI version of the process before the command line one.]

In any case, it works now, since the command line version was effective. Thanks very much for your help.
That way witht he GUI doesn't work.

Right click the drive -> actions -> change read/write

Markus
11-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Glad at least the command worked.
I must say I'm getting more and more adverse (is that a word?) to answering Live-CD questions since I hardly ever use it. Just wondering how all the other people here manage to remember all the stuff. Do you actually run the cd or should I answer one of those emails selling "pills that increase your memory capacity"? They seem to have a special price just for me, you know.

gnarvaja
11-16-2004, 08:34 AM
After modifying fstab or doing it in the Desktop as suggested, remember to save the Knoppix configuration to /mnt/sda1. When you boot you should use knoppix myconfig=/mnt/sda1 and it should work fine. I have the same drive you do and works perfect.