PDA

View Full Version : Is there a list?

richardljohnson
11-16-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm trying to cut down applications for use on a public system. Does anyone know of a good solid list on Knoppix 3.6 of programs and catagories so I can do a cut/past on what I want removed.

Thanks,

Richard-

mzilikazi
11-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Sure, go to one of the download mirrors and have a look at packages.txt. If you want the apps categorized then use Synaptic or Kpackage.
Edit
You know, now that I think of it there are some cool tricks to get the package list looking like you want it.

For a CR seperated list do:

COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $2}'>pkg.txt
For a space separated list do:

COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $2}'|perl -pe 's/\n/ /m'>pkg.txt
Now you can feed this file to apt-get

apt-get remove `cat pkg.txt`
You *may* however need to break it into smaller files. Not because it's too large but (due to dependencies) you could remove some pkgs you'd rather keep. In my experience it's better to make multiple files and experiment with each one but then again I remove ALOT of pkgs!

If you use Synaptic, make your package selections then:
File>Save Markings As>pkg.txt
Then you do almost the same thing only Synaptic uses a different format so pass a different argument to awk:

COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $1}'>pkg.txt

COLUMS=200 dpkg -l|awk '{print $1}'|perl -pe 's/\n/ /m'>pkg.txt

HTH

richardljohnson
11-16-2004, 01:45 AM
Thanks...I guess I was thinking it would be more complicated than that. It's kind of different, usually I want as many programs and apps as possible. I can honestly say this is the first time I am looking to have as little as possible on a disk.

Richard-

Harry Kuhman
11-16-2004, 01:56 AM
I can honestly say this is the first time I am looking to have as little as possible on a disk.

Maybe you want Damn Small Linux, a full Linux Live CD in 50 megs.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
But then again, it still has lots of stuff in there including test editing and spread sheet software, a browser or two, and a CD burner. A list of packages is here:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/packages.html

It's a shame, too many people want to run applications; not enough want to run just the OS any more :wink: