PDA

View Full Version : cdrom doesn't mount

MattT
03-29-2003, 05:52 AM
I just hd installed the latest Knoppix 3.2 2003-03-28. I have a CDRW and a CD that work great running from Knoppix live. From the hard drive install when I try to mount cdrom I get "not a block device" error. What does this mean? How can I fix it?

MattT
03-29-2003, 05:23 PM
I just reinstalled from the same CD and this time it works. I used the same installation options but this time the first thing I did was log in as root and mount cdrom. I would still like to know what causes the error "not a block device" :wink:

Knoppix 3.2 is the best ever :) but hdinstall could be improved. It appears a little inconsistent in this version. Keep up the good work.

RockMumbles
03-29-2003, 05:49 PM
What I've found with knoppix hd installs is that I have to have everything working on the system before I do the hd install. The hd install makes a "copy" of the system as it is running at the time of the install, so if something is not operating at the time of the install it may not show up after the install.

rock

MattT
03-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Very helpful advice. I'll remember that the next time I install.

Mgold_100
04-12-2003, 01:01 PM
I am having the same problem tying to mount my CDRW, I really don't want to re-install. How can I add the CDRW?

stoneangel
09-10-2003, 12:21 AM
My CD and floppy worked great when I was booting off the disk and now they don't read info at all.

The filepath for my cdrom is

file:/cdrom

donl
09-22-2003, 05:03 AM
7-26-03.....I just made another cd-rom icon on desktop and identified it as "Cd-Rom [Data], which I use just for data cd's. On the other cd icon, I right click and select "Play Music Cd" if I want to do that. Haven't gotten the other cd burning stuff to work yet.